Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

London Bridge incident.

Duke Wellington

1 minute ago, stevewinn said:

It does now seem people understand that if everyone runs away then mass killings will result, takes Brave as feck people to run towards, swarm and hold until police arrive. i think its that old adage it only takes one (person) to confront the terrorist and the basic instinct, a herd/pack mentality takes over as others surely follow. 

Yeah, it's the bystander effect. Funnily enough, I studied that earlier this year. All it takes is for one person to act and others follow suit.

• Like 5

My condolences to the victims and the families affected by today's attack. Some US news is reporting at least 10 injured along with the two deceased. Most mainstream media are just saying multiple injuries. I posted this because the video shows no live tape of the suspect being taken down.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/london-bridge-sealed-off-after-reports-of-stabbing-and-shots/2019/11/29/6c38f32a-12b7-11ea-924c-b34d09bbc948_story.html

• Like 4

I think if it had been a real suicide vest he would have just gone into a crowded public place 
and detonated it.... but the police couldn't take the risk that it wasn't real....

One way or another it was a suicide mission and he didn't want to come out of it alive...
So it's a shame he has escaped justice but the police coundn't risk it...

Very sad about the fatalities and injuries... :(

• Like 3

My phone just alerted that there's also just been an attack at the Hague. It's just saying several were wounded and the suspect appears to be a man around 45-50 yrs of age.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/multiple-people-wounded-stabbing-attack-hague-dutch-police-say-n1093466

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I'm guessing that wannabe murderers / terrorists are very wary about being found out and stopped
from doing what they want to do.... ie surveilance and infiltration..... so a lone wolf random
knife attack is something they can do without being found out beforehand...?

this must be one of the crimes that police are very concerned about because it can happen without warning...

and perhaps that guy (and the others) who went straight in to tackle him were plain clothes specially
trained police who patrol around to try and limit the damage when a random attack like this happens...?

or he / they could have been members of the public or a mixture of both..

Edited by bee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bee said:

I'm guessing that wannabe murderers / terrorists are very wary about being found out and stopped
from doing what they want to do.... ie surveilance and infiltration..... so a lone wolf random
knife attack is something they can do without being found out beforehand...?

"Vehicular manslaughter" is also a good low key choice for wannabe terrorists.

this must be one of the crimes that police are very concerned about because it can happen without warning...

Yes. Hence why you need an ID to buy steak knives over there. Of course, banning a weapon doesn't make it disappear but it gives you an idea of what Police are focused on.

Unfortunately, these kinds of attacks are "just part of living in a big city"™

2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

It would appear someone is stabbing people in the Netherlands now.

A very painful position to be stabbed in !! 

• Haha 7

14 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Not so much in central London now. Anti-ram barriers everywhere. 

Yes. Hence why you need an ID to buy steak knives over there.

Except that you don't... 

Sadly, that is simply true, no matter how unpalatable. 

The only alternative is giving unlimited resources and unlimited powers to the security services. Which I doubt even they would want. 

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Yes. Hence why you need an ID to buy steak knives over there. Of course, banning a weapon doesn't make it disappear but it gives you an idea of what Police are focused on.

Funny, it wasn't 30 years ago, what changed?

Edited by itsnotoutthere

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

30 years ago there were 48 million people living in England.  Today there are over 66 million.  London had 6.9 million and now it's 9.2 million.  Bound to be a reason in there for the cause, e.g. overcrowding, lack of resources, dole communities, and crime, and I'm guessing knife crime has risen because of the escalation in suburban gang warfare, and the lack of police numbers, or it was a result of the Dunblane massacre in 1996 which led to much tighter gun laws, and made those intent on causing harm to use knives instead.

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bee said:

or he / they could have been members of the public or a mixture of both..

I know that most of the younger guys I'm around in the family or friends have developed a kind of cross between anger and fatalism about these events.  If someone erupts into this behavior around them and especially around their families, they are going to do their best to take the scum DOWN.  Around here that usually means with firearms.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

Vehicular manslaughter" is also a good low key choice for wannabe terrorists.

Yes, and usually much more deadly effective. :( 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Piney said:

Especially in prison. 

Doesn't matter where it happens still horrible and it's hard to defend yourself cause most knife attacks you won't even see coming, you won't  even see the knife or even know what happened before you drop to the floor. Most people dont know that if you get stabbed your intestines can also pop out even through a small wound. It's a cowards weapon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

We got sucked into someone else's war. And the terrorists have come up with new methods. 

So what's Khan doing about this?

12 minutes ago, Bed of chaos said:

What do you want him to do? This is a national issue, not limited to London. 

• Like 2

When black kids are stabbed, which happens quite literally virtually every day, in gang fights, it gets perhaps a two-second mention on the news as second or third story, because, well, it's black kids, innit. If someone is stabbed by some nutter who happens to be Muslim it's HOW THE LONDON TERROR ATTACK UNFOLDED! BORIS JOHNSON SPEAKS OUT! ALL TV PROGRAMMES ARE INTERRUPTED FOR LIVE COVERAGE! 

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome

16 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Good,

is it true the reports one innocent person has died?

I can't believe that none of the good samaritans that subdued and disarmed the nut job didn't plunge the knife into his neck. Especially since he apparently wore a fake suicide vest it was the smart thing to do. 

1 hour ago, Bed of chaos said:

Are you suggesting he bans kitchen knives throughout London ? 

10 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

30 years ago it was massive bomb blasts ;)  

The murderer - Usman Khan - was a convicted terrorist (imprisoned in 2012 for his part in a plot to blow up the London Stock Exchange). 

He was attending a conference run by Cambridge University on rehabilitation of prisoners. He stabbed people in the conference, then ran out onto London Bridge, where members of the public tackled him, prior to being ordered back by Police when he revealed a "suicide vest" and started fiddling with it, at which point the Police opened fire and killed him. 

I would LOVE to know which mosque he went to, and see the police and MI5 investigate it. Sadly, however, that would be islamophobic, so it won't happen. He'll be written up as just another "lone wolf" terrorist. 

France has the right idea; they are investigating - and closing down - mosques left right and centre. 

• Sad 1

Kitchen knife v narwhal tusk?   No contest :D 

One witness said a man who was with her at Fishmongers' Hall, a historic building near London Bridge, took a 1.5-metre-long narwhal tusk from the wall and went out to confront the attacker, who was wearing a fake explosive vest.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-30/london-bridge-stabbing-suspect-tackled-by-hero-bystanders/11753102

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked