Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First Megalith found in central France

Still Waters

FOR MILLENNIA, MEGALITHS WERE HUMANKIND’S biggest, boldest way to show a mortal or deity that you cared. And few places host more of these massive, enigmatic stone structures than France, where many megaliths are clustered in Brittany and other northern regions. Long before William the Conqueror or the cultivation of wine, prehistoric communities left their mark by erecting the standing stones.

Now, roadwork in Puy-de-Dôme, France, between the cities of Bordeaux and Lyon, has revealed that the ancient stone footprint is a little bigger than previously thought.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/megalithic-tomb-central-france

• Like 6

This could change the range of the Atlantic Megalithic Culture.

@Mellon Man This is your forte. Anything to add? 

• Like 3

On 11/29/2019 at 10:30 PM, Piney said:

This could change the range of the Atlantic Megalithic Culture.

@Mellon Man This is your forte. Anything to add? 

Well, depending on the material evidence, this could be the final nail in coffin for Childe's 'Megalith Salior Theory'. The findings have some significance with respect to prehistoric horticulture. But what I find most significant is the lack of burials and removal from the landscape. 

We will have to wait for dates before being able to assess the impact of the discovery on our current understanding. 

Edited by Mellon Man
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Mellon Man said:

Well, depending on the material evidence, this could be the final nail in coffin for Childe's 'Megalith Salior Theory'. The findings have some significance with respect to prehistoric horticulture. But what I find most significant is the lack of burials and removal from the landscape. 

I did think the ancestors of the Vasconic People were decent sailors and they hopped from Anatolia to Corsica then to Southern France-Northern Spain. But then I saw the evidence that the Bell Beaker folk wiped them out in Britain and thought maybe the evidence was erased by the PIE speakers during their expansion and throughout the rest of history. 

I did base part of this on the fact that the Basque were Hell on open ocean fisherman and might of been setting up processing stations in New England and Newfoundland prior to Columbus. But we don't have enough evidence from this end except for some objects that we are unable to date.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/29/2019 at 10:09 PM, Still Waters said:

FOR MILLENNIA, MEGALITHS WERE HUMANKIND’S biggest, boldest way to show a mortal or deity that you cared. And few places host more of these massive, enigmatic stone structures than France, where many megaliths are clustered in Brittany and other northern regions. Long before William the Conqueror or the cultivation of wine, prehistoric communities left their mark by erecting the standing stones.

Now, roadwork in Puy-de-Dôme, France, between the cities of Bordeaux and Lyon, has revealed that the ancient stone footprint is a little bigger than previously thought.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/megalithic-tomb-central-france

Is there anything known about the dating, after more than 2 years?

• Like 2