Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jesus Today

Crazy Horse

7 minutes ago, lightly said:

I always liked the story, because it was a new twist on the centuries/millinea ? old story of sacrificial animals . In this case a sacrificial "Lamb (of God"). .  And that this time it was God making the sacrifice ,on our behalf ,  of "his only begotten Son".

Jesus, being a man, prayed  in Mark 14: 36 "Abba, Father , all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt."

Yes the "sacrifice" is what I was referring to. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I thought the corner stone of the story was his murder by the romans who were given him by the rabis.

Eh. I would think he would consider the content of his preaching to be more important. He knew that he had to be murdered. It was integral to the plan.

And more so that his resurrection proved his divinity. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/9/2019 at 4:21 AM, Crazy Horse said:

You don't think He would have learnt anything in the preceding 2000 years?

Being dead may have impacted his mental state.

• Haha 4

Tax free thirty silver pieces...

~

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Being dead may have impacted his mental state.

Or maybe without the physical senses and illusory nature of this material plane getting in the way, He would have realised even more? 

3 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Or maybe without the physical senses and illusory nature of this material plane getting in the way, He would have realised even more? 

Like that it is "illusory"?

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Like that it is "illusory"?

I have no idea what you mean.

6 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

I have no idea what you mean.

You used the word "illusory" which leads me to believe you see no point in Jesus returning.  Is that what you meant?

15 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

You used the word "illusory" which leads me to believe you see no point in Jesus returning.  Is that what you meant?

Not really?

Even if this material plane is illusory, it is still where we get to learn, to play, and to grow.

I would say that the only Real thing in this universe is life itself. Life Eternal. Everything else is either coming together or falling apart, and therefore has no inherent Substance.

So, if Jesus came back, I would suggest He would teach us how to live this life peacefully and enjoyable, and at the same time expanding our consciousness/soul.

2 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Not really?

Even if this material plane is illusory, it is still where we get to learn, to play, and to grow.

I would say that the only Real thing in this universe is life itself. Life Eternal. Everything else is either coming together or falling apart, and therefore has no inherent Substance.

So, if Jesus came back, I would suggest He would teach us how to live this life peacefully and enjoyable, and at the same time expanding our consciousness/soul.

Then why didn't he just do that to begin with?

Death is not life. There is no consciousness beyond it. Otherwise?, why would there even be death?

13 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Unfortunately he relies on his material brain to do that.

12 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

Not really?

Life is biological and completely dependent on the material, a composite of it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, joc said:

Death is not life. There is no consciousness beyond it. Otherwise?, why would there even be death?

As a way to transition from, or too, one manner of existence to another.   ?   I'm not saying that is what happens...I'm just stating the concept....we've all heard of before?   

i found this in the Tao Teh Ching this morning...I like it ,especially the last line ...

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Returning to itself is how the subtle Way of the universe exercises itself.

Being gentle and yielding is how the subtle Way of the universe employs itself.

All things of the world comes from the Manifest.

The Manifest comes from the unmanifest, subtle essence of the universe.

20 hours ago, joc said:

He did do that to begin with.

His message of love, forgiveness and a personal divinity was pretty radical for those times and in that place.

But what was a new idea back in the day, becomes common knowledge over time, and so todays Jesus would have to give new insights and perhaps deliver them in a more nuanced way!

And I don't believe in death as the end of anything, I thought we were past that old point of view by now, with NDEs etc.

This idea of only one life and that's it, has been a total disaster for mankind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Unfortunately he relies on his material brain to do that.

The brain is just a filter like most of the bodies organs. 

It filters what I would call the ether - empty space is Heaven.

When you change the brains chemistry, with psychoactive drugs etc, then the filter changes and you may tune into different frequencies and perceive different planes of existence. Imo, the DMT release at death is for a reason, nature and evolution doesn't do chance, not for such a significant moment. The brain also has cannabinoid receptors for a reason too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Life is biological and completely dependent on the material, a composite of it.

That's your opinion, not mine.

If you can imagine, that the universe is held in the Mind of God, then the exact opposite is true. Life Eternal, Consciousness, Mind/Spirit and only later, matter.

The evidence for consciousness surviving death is pretty clear. Otherwise, please explain how a person who is clinically dead, can consciously see and communicate with a loved one who they thought was still alive, but unbeknownst to them, had in fact died a few hours before? If it isn't consciousness surviving, then please explain what, and how, this is happening?

4 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

The evidence for consciousness surviving death is pretty clear. Otherwise, please explain how a person who is clinically dead, can consciously see and communicate with a loved one who they thought was still alive, but unbeknownst to them, had in fact died a few hours before? If it isn't consciousness surviving, then please explain what, and how, this is happening?

Citations needed please.

On 12/10/2019 at 8:57 AM, Alchopwn said:

I think much depends on who you think Jesus actually is.  If you think Jesus is the son of the Jewish God, then Jesus has loads of superpowers and could make a go of things.  If you think that Jesus was a zealot from Galillee who liked to trade on his ability as a stage magician and his family pedigree, then you get quite a different answer.  As for people (like myself) who think  that Jesus is a fictional character, well then, he never really left...

I think superpower Jesus would probably be involved in an Israel based NGO like IsraAid, or possibly with a UN anti-poverty initiative.  I think he would also be an easily offended hipster douche troll hypocrite who would seek to "pillory those who called others fools while calling them fools himself".  if you know your Bible, you know what I'm talking about.  I also think Jesus would be in trouble with the law for threatening people on a regular basis.  As to his spirituality, he would probably hide his superpowers, and not even wear a cape.

If you think that Jesus was merely a zealot from Galillee, then his chances of survival in the modern era would be low.  He would be illiterate, would know no languages except perhaps Aramaic which is useless outside parts of Northern Syria, so that would place him in the middle of the Kurdish sector of the present civil war if he wanted to speak to anyone who wasn't fluent in Aramaic.  Amusingly, I could probably speak to him, given that I am fluent in Aramaic and Hebrew, and have a decent grasp of Old Hebrew, such as we know it.  If this Jesus wants to live, he better pick li'l ol atheist Alchopwn as his first disciple, and I will probably take quite a bit of convincing that he isn't merely insane.

Thanks for the answer...

And you are right in the sense that different folk see Jesus in a different kind of light for many reasons. That's why I am interested in "Jesus today".

Personally, I figure that Jesus would, after many, many years of preparation, step forward with a miracle or two, and via social media make Himself known! I would imagine, that by the sheer force of His integrity, His personality and character, that a lot of folks would put down the I-Phone, switch off the TV, and listen to what He had to say. I would imagine that folks would be inspired to give His message a go, and from that moment on, everything would change very quickly.

8 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Citations needed please.

Its from memory, if you are interested, look it up for yourself.

7 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Its from memory, if you are interested, look it up for yourself.

You claimed evidence that consciousness survives death is clear. 

That is garbage. Cite where you are getting this information. Your memory is not an objective source. 

You made a vague claim about somebody who was clinically dead, yet able to see and communicate with a dead person that they didn't know was dead at the time. Who? When? Where?

For all anybody knows you made this anecdote up. Putting the onus on me to "look it up" is ridiculous. You made the claim. You back it.

I realize I'm off topic and I apologize. 

Just sick of people making ridiculous claims and refusing to back it up.

Hopefully if Jesus ever comes back he can give some lessons on credibility.

• Like 2

If he was around today, he'd probably have some followers, but they sure wouldn't be the majority of organized religion followers.

I don't see the Vatican with its monuments to money associating themselves with the likes of Christ, honestly.

No televangelists, either. Or those big mega-churches.

Edited by GlitterRose
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

He did do that to begin with.

His message of love, forgiveness and a personal divinity was pretty radical for those times and in that place.

But what was a new idea back in the day, becomes common knowledge over time, and so todays Jesus would have to give new insights and perhaps deliver them in a more nuanced way!

And I don't believe in death as the end of anything, I thought we were past that old point of view by now, with NDEs etc.

This idea of only one life and that's it, has been a total disaster for mankind.

Considering the abundance of religions worldwide...the idea of only one life is a minority.

2 hours ago, lightly said:

I'm just stating the concept....we've all heard of before?   

No need to restate the obvious... :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

You claimed evidence that consciousness survives death is clear. 

That is garbage. Cite where you are getting this information. Your memory is not an objective source. 

You made a vague claim about somebody who was clinically dead, yet able to see and communicate with a dead person that they didn't know was dead at the time. Who? When? Where?

For all anybody knows you made this anecdote up. Putting the onus on me to "look it up" is ridiculous. You made the claim. You back it.

I realize I'm off topic  I apologize. 

Just sick of people making ridiculous claims and refusing to back it up.

Hopefully if Jesus ever comes back he can give some lessons on credibility.

Yes it is clear to me at least.

Its certainly not garbage for anybody who at least has an open mind about such things.

And not just the NDEs that cannot be explained, ie, seeing a dead relative who the NDexperiencer  didn't even know was dead, but past life remembrances too, names, places etc that the child couldn't possible know. Excuse me for thinking these were well known antidotes, obviously not, my bad.

I have read and watched a lot of things concerning consciousness, NDEs and the such, and to be honest I have no idea where that particular piece of information came from. That's why I said look it up yourself, if you are interested, 

And, I am not refusing to back-up my claims, but I don't have the time nor the inclination to go chasing around the net looking for evidence that would most likely get dismissed  out of hand anyway, if not by you, then by many others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

Considering the abundance of religions worldwide...the idea of only one life is a minority.

Christians and Muslims make-up over 50% of the worlds religious folk, Hindus and Buddhist combined account for around 20%.

If you believe in karma and reincarnation, then, you are not only trying to make the world a better place for your kids and grandchildren, but for your parents, your grandparents, and for yourself too, in the next life.

This idea of only living one life has gone hand in hand with vulture capitalism, ultra consumerism, materialism and destroying the worlds eco systems.

• Like 1