Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Bilocating Nun

Amita

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

In fact I believe there are psychic doppelgangers of just regular people even in modern times. Family members and friends report these events and share stories in this internet age.

Right, YouTube has examples - often a Mother and child.  Bilocation is among the powers or siddhis of yogis, bodhisattvas, saints etc.  

But plain folks can experience this too.  Working to achieve this power and to control it, may not be a good idea in the long run.  Have to check Patanjali or the Bhagavatam, but I suspect it is often motivated by self-centeredness.  Thus a diversion from altruistic spiritual living. 

Just now, Amita said:

Right, YouTube has examples - often a Mother and child.  Bilocation is among the powers or siddhis of yogis, bodhisattvas, saints etc.  

But plain folks can experience this too.  Working to achieve this power and to control it, may not be a good idea in the long run.  Have to check Patanjali or the Bhagavatam, but I suspect it is often motivated by self-centeredness.  Thus a diversion from altruistic spiritual living. 

Yes, the 'regular people' cases I was talking about are random and spontaneous and not consciously volitional. The person themselves is not aware of it. Family and friends have to report the incident. But this evidence suggest a controllable phenomena is quite possible.

Krishna says in Uddhava Gita chapter 10:

21. Effectively joining to Me the mind and body together with the nerve current that follows the mind, the Yogi, through the influence of this concentration on Me, can take the body (swiftly) wherever the mind goes.

Then a few verses more He says seeking these powers per se is a waste of time and are a distraction.  Same idea that Yoga Sutras section 4, verse 1 mentions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Piney said:

Because there is too many holes in her story. 

That and the fact that bilocation is super easy to fake. All you need is a body double. But the nun, in all her religious fervour, was most likely hallucinating. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

That and the fact that bilocation is super easy to fake. All you need is a body double. But the nun, in all her religious fervour, was most likely hallucinating. 

So was she hallucinating them seeing her?  I'm confused, I thought the claim, from the original post, was the natives not only saw her but were receiving religious instruction.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, skliss said:

So was she hallucinating them seeing her?  I'm confused, I thought the claim, from the original post, was the natives not only saw her but were receiving religious instruction.

Perhaps, coincidentally, someone else was there. Or, perhaps, it was someone she knew and shared a correspondence with. 

We'll never really know the truth of it, but she probably deserves an Oscar more than she does sainthood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Perhaps, coincidentally, someone else was there. Or, perhaps, it was someone she knew and shared a correspondence with. 

We'll never really know the truth of it, but she probably deserves an Oscar more than she does sainthood.

Amazingly stupid remarks.  Perhaps the dozens of Jumanos who saw & talked to her many times should get the Oscars.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, skliss said:

Glad to see someone who can read and understand what is read.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Seems a bit convoluted for the 1600's. Sometimes I think we think in terms of our own easy and quick ability to travel. I would need to read a bit further before I'm prepared to either agree or dismiss another person being involved. Might be an identity or name misunderstanding by the natives.

Was she ever there in person so that they recognized her?

Edited by skliss
Added thought

6 minutes ago, skliss said:

Seems a bit convoluted for the 1600's. Sometimes I think we think in terms of our own easy and quick ability to travel. I would need to read a bit further before I'm prepared to either agree or dismiss another person being involved. Might be an identity or name misunderstanding by the natives.

Was she ever there in person so that they recognized her?

She never left her convent in Agreda, even King Philip had to visit her there.  Nor did the Jumanos know her name, only her appearance as the Lady in Blue.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Amita said:

Amazingly stupid remarks.  Perhaps the dozens of Jumanos who saw & talked to her many times should get the Oscars.

Isn't anger and petulance a distraction from altruistic spiritual living?

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Amita said:

What's stupid, in my opinion, is believing the bilocation stories of a delusional nun, most likely suffering from mental illness. If she wasn't, then the lack of food and sleep, coupled with non-stop meditation in self-imposed solitude, certainly contributed to her visions hallucinations. But since she'd been communicating with various 'entities' since childhood, I'm inclined to go with the former. The latter no doubt exacerbated the pre-existing condition.

Furthermore, there is no real confirmation that she was indeed the white woman in blue. She fit the description (as I'm sure many other nuns did) but since she was the one who claimed to have been there, they bought her fantastical nonsense and gave her more credit than she deserved.

• Thanks 4

Perhaps, just as it was for them white folks, all white folks looks the same to them Indians, back in the day... 

~

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Perhaps, just as it was for them white folks, all white folks looks the same to them Indians, back in the day... 

They still do. :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

May someone enlighten me to what the hell is bilocation?

New age anthropomorphising and appropriating quantum physics for religious purposes... 

~

There's the fact that two separated particles can interact instantaneously, a phenomenon called quantum entanglement. ... And there's another phenomenon called quantum superposition. This principle of quantum mechanics suggests that particles can exist in two separate locations at once.Dec 28, 2015

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/30/2019 at 5:23 PM, Piney said:

The core of Christianity was a good thing, but it's as far away from Catholicism as one can get.

It's been extinct since Pauline Christianity erased it. 

And what do you think this "core of Christianity" is that's a good thing?

Edited by Will Due

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

New age anthropomorphising and appropriating quantum physics for religious purposes... 

But, but, but they said the Sifu was going to teach me how to do it after I turned 55.....I mean, Biyan hu could do it.....at least that's what Master Hu Chu Chit from Sedona said to me...:unsure2:

That's it!!! I'm going to the Ohio Tibetans and learning how to transmuckmorfagate by folding my fingers into bunny shadows like Master Bai Tur Hayes. :angry:

Serious note. Rumor has it that some Dunhuang scrolls appeared in Qipchaq using the Orkon-Yenisei and/or Sogdian script. I'd like to know if this is true and maybe some scans if possible. 

Rumor also has it that the Kyrgyz and Kazakh are doing just fine and are curious to why the American media is lumping them with the Uighur.  But that is the answer for another thread. :whistle:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

~

Rather intriguing, diolch yn fawr.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

But, but, but they said the Sifu was going to teach me how to do it after I turned 55.....I mean, Biyan hu could do it.....at least that's what Master Hu Chu Chit from Sedona said to me...:unsure2:

That's it!!! I'm going to the Ohio Tibetans and learning how to transmuckmorfagate by folding my fingers into bunny shadows like Master Bai Tur Hayes. :angry:

Serious note. Rumor has it that some Dunhuang scrolls appeared in Qipchaq using the Orkon-Yenisei and/or Sogdian script. I'd like to know if this is true and maybe some scans if possible. 

Rumor also has it that the Kyrgyz and Kazakh are doing just fine and are curious to why the American media is lumping them with the Uighur.  But that is the answer for another thread. :whistle:

First time ever I haven't got a clue what you're on about.:lol:

• Haha 2

Just now, ThereWeAreThen said:

First time ever I haven't got a clue what you're on about.:lol:

Buddhist monk business. You don't need to. :yes:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Piney said:

Sumimasen Senpai, that's way over my head, also, because of the rains, I have two weeks worth of work to cram into four days... 

~

31 minutes ago, Piney said:

The Uighur are doing fine too, the lump and dump pumps the numbers and that's all they care, 

We're here to liberate all of you whether you like it or not, liberty or you die... 

That's an old Chinese joke about American imperialism... 

~

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Sumimasen

No need to apologize. It was a thought.  My mates at the Hermitage are chomping at the bit so they'll get their hands on a scan if it exists. 

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

That's an old Chinese joke about American imperialism... 

That they borrowed from the Vietnamese. :yes:

• Haha 1