Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Bilocating Nun

Amita

1 hour ago, stereologist said:

Such as burning people at the stake? Such as rooting out heretics? Such as promoting the Crusades? Such as the Inquisition?

I was only referring to information about the bilocating nun. Skeptic sources only have criticism and denial on their agenda no matter what the facts are.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I was only referring to information about the bilocating nun. Skeptic sources only have criticism and denial on their agenda no matter what the facts are.

Skeptics look for facts. Since when do you present facts?

Since when is criticism a problem? Believing for no reason at all is just a ludicrous activity. 

Please tell us what facts you have brought to the table? Can you tell us how this bilocation was determined?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Skeptics look for facts.

For the closed minded ones they only look for facts they like.

5 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Since when is criticism a problem? 

When it is not balanced with a full fair appraisal and is really nothing more than a paranormal witch hunt.

7 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Believing for no reason at all is just a ludicrous activity. 

We agree on that.

7 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Can you tell us how this bilocation was determined?

I am not the determiner. I am judging the quality of claims and investigations presented. My opinion is bilocation of this nun likely occurred.

Papameter:  80% Bilocation     20% Only Natural Events

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

For the closed minded ones they only look for facts they like.

When it is not balanced with a full fair appraisal and is really nothing more than a paranormal witch hunt.

We agree on that.

I am not the determiner. I am judging the quality of claims and investigations presented. My opinion is bilocation of this nun likely occurred.

Papameter:  80% Bilocation     20% Only Natural Events

I see you still do not know the definition of skeptic. It is someone that makes decisions based on the evidence. They also have the choice of not making a decision if the evidence is lacking.

When the evidence is clearly against nonsense you consider that a witch hunt? I guess that is the fall back for those that having nothing to support their beliefs.

So you are of the opinion that it is likely yet have no idea what happened. I believe that. That is what you do.

You have shown us all once again that you are clueless as to the quality of the claims, the form of the claims, and how the investigation was handled.

Thanks for not being a skeptic. Your decision was made without evaluating the evidence.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I see you still do not know the definition of skeptic. It is someone that makes decisions based on the evidence. They also have the choice of not making a decision if the evidence is lacking.

When the evidence is clearly against nonsense you consider that a witch hunt? I guess that is the fall back for those that having nothing to support their beliefs.

So you are of the opinion that it is likely yet have no idea what happened. I believe that. That is what you do.

You have shown us all once again that you are clueless as to the quality of the claims, the form of the claims, and how the investigation was handled.

Thanks for not being a skeptic. Your decision was made without evaluating the evidence.

Apparently I give more respect to the experiences and claims of intelligent people than you but of course I also consider that they can be lying or honestly mistaken. I find the balance I feel is right between skepticism and open-mindedness.

I am not impressed by those skeptics that demand perfect physical proof (which is never going to occur in the real world) before believing anything paranormal ever occurs . They can play that game forever as I have seen, but I think they are only impoverishing their minds by being so narrow.

• Like 1

Just now, papageorge1 said:

Apparently I give more respect to the experiences and claims of intelligent people than you but of course I also consider that they can be lying or honestly mistaken. I find the balance I feel is right between skepticism and open-mindedness.

I am not impressed by those skeptics that demand perfect physical proof (which is never going to occur in the real world) before believing anything paranormal ever occurs . They can play that game forever as I have seen, but I think they are only impoverishing their minds by being so narrow.

I take this as a tacit admission that you have no idea about anything you are babbling on about. All you are doing is trying to gloss over the fact that you are completely and utterly clueless about this and yet have formed an opinion. 

You are a scoffer. You are attacking skeptics without evidence or reason and avoiding determining the facts of the case. Scoffer - you are cementing your position as a scoffer with each and every post.

How was the bilocation of the nun verified?  Try to find out.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I take this as a tacit admission that you have no idea about anything you are babbling on about. All you are doing is trying to gloss over the fact that you are completely and utterly clueless about this and yet have formed an opinion. 

You are a scoffer. You are attacking skeptics without evidence or reason and avoiding determining the facts of the case. Scoffer - you are cementing your position as a scoffer with each and every post.

I am not a scoffer but a balanced minded observer. The narrow skeptics are the scoffers.

4 minutes ago, stereologist said:

How was the bilocation of the nun verified?  Try to find out.

I probably read a dozen or two paranormal related things a day on the internet. I can't make every case I hear about a personal research project. The Papameter gives my opinion based on what I know about the case and my lifetime of experience. The more I study a case the greater the certainty level of the Papameter reading.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I am not a scoffer but a balanced minded observer. The narrow skeptics are the scoffers.

I probably read a dozen or two paranormal related things a day on the internet. I can't make every case I hear about a personal research project. The Papameter gives my opinion based on what I know about the case and my lifetime of experience. The more I study a case the greater the certainty level of the Papameter reading.

You are a scoffer. You scoff at the evidence all of the time.

You are scoffing in this thread. You are not balance minded observer. You drew an opinion here without knowing anything about the case. You are and have been a scoffer.

You experience is to scoff at evidence and blindly believe. Now you admit you formed your opinion in a close minded manner. Here is your typical close minded stance: "I can't make every case I hear about a personal research project."

Thank you for telling us all that you are a close minded believer.

You haven't done any studying of this case because you have still not shown how this bilocation was verified. You seem very content to continue to scoff.

• Thanks 1

It's funny how people latch onto a story and believe it without taking the time to find out what the story is all about.

I suppose when all of the doltish paranormal claims fall down one after another with even a minuscule amount of research on the topic it becomes second nature to avoid the evidence which is so crippling to those that want to believe in these ideas.

So much easier to scoff at the evidence and be close minded in whatever whimsical idea comes fluttering by.

• Like 1

One of the things that should be applied here is the same attitude taken with scientific research.

Critical thinking should be applied. Ask demanding questions of this as are asked of scientific work.

• How was the data collected?
  • Was the data replicated?
  • How big was the sample size?
  • Does the conclusion follow from the experiment?
  • What confounding variables were not accounted for?

There are plenty more things to ask of a scientific experiment, but begin by looking into a case before forming a close minded opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stereologist said:

One of the things that should be applied here is the same attitude taken with scientific research.

Critical thinking should be applied. Ask demanding questions of this as are asked of scientific work.

• How was the data collected?
  • Was the data replicated?
  • How big was the sample size?
  • Does the conclusion follow from the experiment?
  • What confounding variables were not accounted for?

There are plenty more things to ask of a scientific experiment, but begin by looking into a case before forming a close minded opinion.

For some reason this reminds me of a story my cousin told me that L. Ron Hubbard had bi-located often.  She never experienced it, someone told her, but he was her icon/guru and so she believed it.  The thing was L. Ron Hubbard had been dead for quite a while but she believed he was just meditating somewhere in Colorado and bi-locating to visit his special disciples.   If you want to really believe something, no one can talk you out of it.

• Like 4

Let's also try to examine the region where the bilocation is said to have taken place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueblo_Revolt

In 1598 Juan de Oñate led 129 soldiers and 10 Franciscan Catholic priests plus a large number of women, children, servants, slaves, and livestock into the Rio Grande valley of New Mexico. There were at the time approximately 40,000 Pueblo Indians inhabiting the region. Oñate put down a revolt at Acoma Pueblo by killing and enslaving hundreds of the Indians and sentencing all men 25 or older to have their foot cut off. The Acoma Massacre would instill fear of the Spanish in the region for years to come, though Franciscan missionaries were assigned to several of the Pueblo towns to Christianize the natives.[

14 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Let's also try to examine the region where the bilocation is said to have taken place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueblo_Revolt

Not only fear into the natives he was just as brutal with the colonists he was supposed to protect and govern.  Once he went off with his soldiers to look for gold they packed up and left Santa Fe, going back to Mexico where his family had sent him to help the colony there.  When he returned and found them all gone he rushed back to accuse them of abandoning him only to be put in jail and all of his assets seized for heinous crimes against the colonists and the natives.  Unfortunately he was related to some very rich spaniards and when the new governor came from Spain he pardoned the reprobate and gave him back his property.  Now, we have scattered across the southwest, monuments to this psychopath as well as streets and high schools named after him.  That's why I roll my eyes when ever someone mentions wanting to get rid of monuments to Robert E. Lee who was a saint compared to Onate.

• Like 3