Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What made you abandon Christianity?

jypsijemini

2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Ahh, problem is I thought Will is so dim that he believes we ride kangaroos.

He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Maybe he's got kangaroos in his top paddock

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Australians don't ride kangaroos?? Another childhood fantasy tarnished.:( Next they'll tell me you can't really stuff a jumbuck in a tucker bag.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

14 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Or have them as pets? 
Thanks for clearing that up A.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Or have them as pets? 
Thanks for clearing that up A.

What!?!? No Skippy!?!? Rats.:o

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Ha ha ha ha ha 

Sorry Hammies, A. doesn’t have a wittle kangaroo to ride to work or hug no matter what Willy thinks.

Edited by Sherapy

4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Ok I’m going to make this short because other wise it’d be a whole page, this is what I learnt in my animal care course. 
Simple answer Yes you can have a Roo, but there’s all sorts of rules including area needed, fencing etc and permits.

I would not recommend having one just because cute n cool they aren’t friendly, even wildlife park ones need to be sectioned off from public at times. 

Also Koalas are heavy, wombats jerks (dental on 2 and partner got chased by an angry one) and emus lack brain. 

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Ha ha ha ha ha 

Sorry Hammies, A. doesn’t have a wittle kangaroo to ride to work or hug no matter what Willy thinks.

I think Skippy was a Wallaby, anyway.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Luca-Rosemom 19 said:

Ok I’m going to make this short because other wise it’d be a whole page, this is what I learnt in my animal care course. 
Simple answer Yes you can have a Roo, but there’s all sorts of rules including area needed, fencing etc and permits.

I would not recommend having one just because cute n cool they aren’t friendly, even wildlife park ones need to be sectioned off from public at times. 

Also Koalas are heavy, wombats jerks (dental on 2 and partner got chased by an angry one) and emus lack brain. 

Emus are kept on farms, here, vicious b*****s that'll kick the crap out of you. We have koalas and wombats in our municipal zoo. Not pet material and that's a fact!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

I think Skippy was a Wallaby, anyway.

Looks Wallaby but was Roo, would’ve been a young one.

The clicking sounds made by Skippy are vocal sound effects, rather than the natural vocalisations of a kangaroo, with chocolate, chewing gum or grass and in some cases, an elastic band around the lower jaw, used to make Skippy move her mouth. Between nine and fifteen kangaroos were used for each show. The apparent manual dexterity was often achieved by using separate arms in the hands of human operators. < well that’s bad using potentially harmful things to get the effects they wanted 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Luca-Rosemom 19 said:

The clicking sounds made by Skippy are vocal sound effects, rather than the natural vocalisations of a kangaroo, with chocolate, chewing gum or grass and in some cases, an elastic band around the lower jaw, used to make Skippy move her mouth. Between nine and fifteen kangaroos were used for each show. The apparent manual dexterity was often achieved by using separate arms in the hands of human operators. < well that’s bad using potentially harmful things to get the effects they wanted 

Grew up watching that show, along with Lassie and Flipper.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Luca-Rosemom 19 said:

Interesting Rose, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Came on every Saturday night before Flipper and I Dream of Jeannie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Luca-Rosemom 19 said:

Lots of people in the country have them as pets. You don't hear about it but head a couple hours west of Toowoomba and it's not uncommon.

I grew up out that way, one family I knew had about half a dozen. I've seen a few dingos as pets too 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Luca-Rosemom 19 said:

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

@DieChecker did I miss your "what made you abandon christianity" story or have you told yours yet?

I didnt abandon. So I didnt post a story. I posted my conversion story in another thread I believe.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Sure. When I was a kid I went to church, Sunday school and CCD. Read the bible. Prayed. Never was touched by any divine spirit. I don't see any god anywhere.

But did you try, or just do what was asked of you as a follower? Did you seek to encounter God, or did you pray like for a Sunday dinner?

While I understand both sides of the argument, I find it useless to hedge my bet on the side that has never been shown to be an option. Seems like an empty promise. I'll only know after I'm dead if I'm wrong. I can deal with it then. If I die and nothing happens, ok. If there is an afterlife then I would hope for the opportunity to plead my case.

That actually is a way I've encouraged atheists to look at it as. I believe we will have the opportunity to pled our case on that day of Judgement. But the less you have to regret the better.

So terrible things happen because of the devil?

So god should be held accountable for evil existing in the first place.

Yes and Yes. The Devil is Gods hitman. He takes the blame as a fall guy also. But ultimately God created the Devil, Evil, and allows it to happen.

Maybe I didn't, but it seemed to me you are saying god won't be nice if I don't love him. Why do true believers have horrid things happen to them and atheists have wonderful things happen to them? There seems to be no correlation that loving god will get you good things or not believing in god will get you bad things.

Agree. Theres no promise of good living. A Christian that says he lives a blessed life may be blessed truly, but that doesnt mean all Christians must live blessed lives.

Loving God, or anyone, should be above such thinking.

don't expect gifts from anyone in the first place. And I don't think it should be predicated that one must be loved before they give.

You seem to echo that sentiment with :

That makes you a better being than your god, in my opinion. Your god, that created everything, needs to be loved in order to spare people from being punished? That's pretty petty.

I'm not praying to god to show me love. I have absolutely zero need for it.

I dont think God requires love. I think He asks for it though. 

I was thinking about this last night and I believe it is that the Bible says NO ONE is perfect. Everyone falls short. They fall short in this as well.

One can put himself First and still be a Christian. All that is required is being sorry that you have to be that way. Just as someone can be a murderer and a Christian, or Gay and a Christian.

I would expect there be less torture, murder, rape, disease, poverty, war and the like for the people who do believe and pray to god. It seems to me that prayer hasn't done much to stop or impede any of these atrocities from happening on a constant basis for, at least, thousands of years.

Who knows maybe Christian true believers are truly more ignorant, and reckless. And praying and intervention is the only thing breaking them even with everyone else? :lol:

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I didnt abandon. So I didnt post a story. I posted my conversion story in another thread I believe.

Did you convert to or from? 

13 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

So, if I armed a homicidal sociopath, and set him on a path of death and destruction, and then told everyone else that only I could protect them, that would be OK? Would I be the Good Guy?

Even if I didn't actually do anything to stop the sociopath, but just kept reassuring people that it would be OK, just to believe in me?

If you were a god? Possibly. Can you protect everyone everywhere, in theory?

Actually post-Jesus every single mortal soul has the Holy Spirit with them, and such gives protection, if not always in the physical, then in the spiritual. 

Imagine theres a sociopath out there and the way he can ruin your day is mostly by inviting him into your home. Now imagine that people keep inviting him into their homes, because they dont believe is sociopaths?

5 minutes ago, Luca-Rosemom 19 said:

Did you convert to or from? 

To. At age 29, or 30. Twenty some years ago.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Of course it 'sounds' logical to you: you already believe in the concept of your god. Of course, the concept of the wager makes your god seem like a gullible idiot. Imagine a being powerful to create everything (according to the believers), but is capable of being tricked by someone who is only paying lip service, "just in case".

But please, enlighten me as to what one is supposed to gain from belief.

I dont believe one can trick God, but I do believe that one can live a life less evil, less sinful, less self serving, and be closer to God when they die. So there is less to forgive.

Gained? Community... Sense of Protection... Sense of Purpose... Sense of Belonging... Emotional, Mental, Spiritual support. And when you die, living with loved ones forever. 

13 hours ago, Will Due said:

What in the world makes a person think that when they've lived their life being a faith deserter (if that's what they end up being at the end of their mortal life) that there'll be an opportunity to plead their case? 

There won't. 

Having distinguished themselves as a deserter, they'll have extinguished themselves and all opportunity to be or do anything forever.

What about the Story of the Prodical Son?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

And yet that has neither stopped Jews, Christians nor even Muslims from pretending they're qualified to psychoanalyze God as to what he/she/it thinks, feels, knows, is capable of, etc. in order for them to pontificate to others what God wants from them. Humanity is its own worst enemy in this case IMO. 

cormac

True. Humans like to think about things. Some like to think about ways to gain power and authority. Those same people often have no qualms about enforcing their own belief then on others.

I think such has little to do with God, or Christianity. It has more to do with power and institutions. I chose to follow God and Jesus, and not so much all the Pharisee like rules some Christians live by.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

God is as likely to exist as santa or the tooth fairy. 

It strikes me that letting go of imaginary friends is just part of growing up.

What.... What do you mean? Regarding Santa and the tooth fairy? Are you saying they're not real? Why has no one told me before?..... AHHHHH.....

Smite me now!!!

Seriously though, we should get rid of lots of things in society. Belief in an old man in the sky is small potatos compared to those who refuse to understand climate science, or that all humans are humans, regardless of skin color. We got bigger problems, IMHO. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Australians don't ride kangaroos?? Another childhood fantasy tarnished.:( Next they'll tell me you can't really stuff a jumbuck in a tucker bag.

Because their only ride emus. GOSH!!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Because their only ride emus. GOSH!!!

Chocobos? I feel better, now.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked