Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
jypsijemini

What made you abandon Christianity?

1,057 posts in this topic

Hammerclaw
1 hour ago, HSlim said:

True, and I don't follow them either. 

Goody for you. You get a cookie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

quiXilver

Two things led to my Apostacy... an inquisitive, critical thinking mind and the bible.

The first led me to read the second.

The second unshackled the first.

Free ever since.

I highly recommend you read the source material in its entirety... i found it a real revelation. :rofl:

Edited by quiXilver
me misspelt a werd
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Habitat
13 hours ago, jypsijemini said:

She believed that these were forms of religious black magic and had to perform a special healing over me. I wasn't entirely sure whether I believed what she was saying, but it actually makes a bit of sense. They're rituals.

So the antidote to rituals, was more rituals ? Like  you should quit smoking by changing brands ?

• Haha 3

Habitat

I think if anyone's impulse is to reject what has been drummed into them, under the banner of religion, then that is exactly what you should do, discard it. But most of what I see in these types of threads, reflects a failure to break free. This has, to my mind, many parallels with people who have broken up with their "ex", but still want to talk about them, and usually in negative terms. That is not "moving on". It is just a failure to process, as yet. To still be investing emotional energy into something you say is "over", means that it isn't over ! An unsatisfactory experience with a religious indoctrination, ought not to be necessarily harmful, in the same way that a "bad" romantic relationship doesn't cruel the chances of a later, satisfying relationship. But only when the break from the past is made. As in matters of the heart, with religion, there is no need to enter into a new relationship, unless and until you feel ready. You can't hurry love, and you surely should not hurry God !

Tatetopa
19 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

After that, I sought my own path.

By the way @Piney, I went with a girlfriend to a couple of friends meetings, even spent a Saturday helping them clean out the gutters on the meeting hall.  I really did enjoy the structure of those meetings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Piney
10 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

By the way @Piney, I went with a girlfriend to a couple of friends meetings, even spent a Saturday helping them clean out the gutters on the meeting hall.  I really did enjoy the structure of those meetings.

Was it a un-programmed silent Meeting like mine, or was it Christian with a preacher? 

freetoroam

What made me abandon Christianity?

Like ALL other religions, I never took them up.to begin with for the reasons they are all man made and inconsistent with nature and facts, and I am going to ditto Jodie.Lynne here.

22 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

What made me abandon Christianity?

Hypocrisy

Greed

Inconsistency

Lack of evidence

Sexual abuse

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sherapy
1 hour ago, Habitat said:

I think if anyone's impulse is to reject what has been drummed into them, under the banner of religion, then that is exactly what you should do, discard it. But most of what I see in these types of threads, reflects a failure to break free. This has, to my mind, many parallels with people who have broken up with their "ex", but still want to talk about them, and usually in negative terms. That is not "moving on". It is just a failure to process, as yet. To still be investing emotional energy into something you say is "over", means that it isn't over ! An unsatisfactory experience with a religious indoctrination, ought not to be necessarily harmful, in the same way that a "bad" romantic relationship doesn't cruel the chances of a later, satisfying relationship. But only when the break from the past is made. As in matters of the heart, with religion, there is no need to enter into a new relationship, unless and until you feel ready. You can't hurry love, and you surely should not hurry God !

Rumination is part of the healing process, breaking up is one thing clarity, insight, and wisdom gleaned is another. 
The point is one wouldn’t want residue negative baggage, so it helps to explore and talk about it with others.

Also, many religions have good and bad to them just like most things finding a middle ground is a good objective too.

Hearing from others is inspirational and often positive in regards to letting go, in some cases from very harmful indoctrination. 

I can understand why for some such as yourself might not make sense, but from one who transcended the shackles of harmful indoctrination places such as UM have completely aided in healing my perspective, and I credit my many friendships with all paths for this.

And, now I have a great interest in the scholarly and academic approach to religions thanks to those that walk a religious path. 

I have incredible empathy for those who had a rough go with religion and they are free to talk as much as they want about whatever they want to me.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Habitat
8 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Rumination is part of the healing process, breaking up is one thing clarity, insight, and wisdom gleaned is another. 
The point is one wouldn’t want residue negative baggage, so it helps to explore and talk about it with others.

Also, many religions have good and bad to them just like most things finding a middle ground is a good objective too.

Hearing from others is inspirational and often positive in regards to letting go, in some cases from very harmful indoctrination. 

I can understand why for some such as yourself might not make sense, but from one who transcended the shackles of harmful indoctrination places such as UM have completely aided in healing my perspective. 

And, now I have a great interest in the scholarly and academic approach to religions. 

That's all good, but I have to say there seems to be plenty of people around, whose fixation on past misfortunes seems to exceed the timespan of the statute of limitations on quite serious criminal matters. Thus, it becomes a matter of a failure to process experience, even after a most generous allotment of time. These are failures of intelligence, more than anything, a failure to understand your own impulses and motives.

• Like 1

Sherapy
8 minutes ago, Habitat said:

That's all good, but I have to say there seems to be plenty of people around, whose fixation on past misfortunes seems to exceed the timespan of the statute of limitations on quite serious criminal matters. Thus, it becomes a matter of a failure to process experience, even after a most generous allotment of time. These are failures of intelligence, more than anything, a failure to understand your own impulses and motives.

Huh? 

Can you clean this up a bit. It doesn’t make sense.

Thank you.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tatetopa
1 hour ago, Piney said:

Was it a un-programmed silent Meeting like mine, or was it Christian with a preacher? 

Um-programmed and silent, the congregation sitting around the room facing the center and each other, no preacher.  If people spoke, it was short and from the heart.  Nothing canned or prepared it seemed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Piney
4 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Um-programmed and silent, the congregation sitting around the room facing the center and each other, no preacher.  If people spoke, it was short and from the heart.  Nothing canned or prepared it seemed.

That's nice. I thought un-programmed Meetings were extinct in the West except a few NDN ones in Okie.

• Like 1

jypsijemini

@Coil

Did you not read the thread description, mate?

It doesn't seem like you're an ex-Christian sharing the reasons why you left religion.

This wasn't an invitation to come and discuss why my theories and beliefs are wrong to you. Go find someone else to debate with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

jypsijemini
2 hours ago, Habitat said:

But most of what I see in these types of threads, reflects a failure to break free. This has, to my mind, many parallels with people who have broken up with their "ex", but still want to talk about them, and usually in negative terms. That is not "moving on". It is just a failure to process, as yet. To still be investing emotional energy into something you say is "over", means that it isn't over ! An unsatisfactory experience with a religious indoctrination, ought not to be necessarily harmful, in the same way that a "bad" romantic relationship doesn't cruel the chances of a later, satisfying relationship. But only when the break from the past is made. As in matters of the heart, with religion, there is no need to enter into a new relationship, unless and until you feel ready. You can't hurry love, and you surely should not hurry God !

No, I just asked any willing participants to share their thoughts on religion with me because I'm curious what other people have found that busted it wide open for them.

Like I said in the OP, I come from a huge Christian family. Who else do I have to talk with about this? Most people in my life were never raised in religion and therefore only have a subjective, outside view of religion.

Curiosity. Not inability to let go. It's just a discussion. Geeeeeez :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jodie.Lynne

This is not meant to knock anyone's faith, it is merely my reason for dismissing religious claims. If this offends you, then that is on you.

Religions, or faiths, that are based on an ancient book, books or scrolls, are not LIVING religions, as they are based upon a set of static, unchanging writings.

This is because, despite what believers will tell you, those writings were made for a specific people at a particular time. The teachings do not evolve and grow, as the people do. Sure, there are some things that are so general as to apply to the modern day, but many of them do not. But believers will jump through hoops trying to prove that their particular beliefs are eternal and unchanging. Or, by using some arcane form of logic that escapes me, stating that their ancient holy tome has 'predicted' current events.

Now, add to the mix that there is a whole career path for the 'interpreters" of the holy writ, humans one and all, with prejudices, biases, hates and fears who profess to "KNOW" what their god wants and desires, and only by listening to their words and their interpretations, will you get to heaven, and you have a recipe for ( IMO ) disaster.

As far as I'm concerned, ANY religion is on the same level as those primitives gathered around the witch doctors hut, watching him throw the bones to predict the future. I have no use for it, although your mileage may vary.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Tatetopa
26 minutes ago, Piney said:

That's nice. I thought un-programmed Meetings were extinct in the West except a few NDN ones in Okie.

Eugene Oregon where many old customs survive.  Yearly parade honoring the Slug Queen for example.  Not a religion per se, but a lot of devotees.  And by the way the VW retirement capital of the US.  Every summer the beetles swarm in to the Oregon Country Faire along with the old buses,. beetles welded on top of buses, VW buses welded on top of school buses with wooden back porches. the works.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hammerclaw
2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

What made me abandon Christianity?

Like ALL other religions, I never took them up.to begin with for the reasons they are all man made and inconsistent with nature and facts, and I am going to ditto Jodie.Lynne here.

Are you sure you don't mean Government?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sherapy
39 minutes ago, jypsijemini said:

No, I just asked any willing participants to share their thoughts on religion with me because I'm curious what other people have found that busted it wide open for them.

Like I said in the OP, I come from a huge Christian family. Who else do I have to talk with about this? Most people in my life were never raised in religion and therefore only have a subjective, outside view of religion.

Welcome to UM, jypsi, this is an interesting thread. :wub:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

jypsijemini
4 hours ago, Habitat said:

So the antidote to rituals, was more rituals ? Like  you should quit smoking by changing brands ?

Yeah, in all honesty that was the part that got me. I'm only doing my Reiki course and going through the motions so that I can offer my own form of energy healing that doesn't have to use all the 'receiving energy' poses and such. I have no interest in teaching the traditional Reiki practices to others because for me, they're still limited: learning the symbols, learning the hand gestures etc. I hold the opinion that it is all much simpler than that. Visualising and focusing on the Love you want to impart to and share with this other person, and using your hands and body as a channel for Universal energy to flow. Recognising the presence of negative energy in ones own body, making conscious focus that this will not be imparted to the receiver. Nothing more is really needed, in my amateur opinion.

Reiki is available to and possible for anybody. We all do it! We touch whichever place on the body is hurting. We feel things in our chakras. A mother kisses her child's scraped knee to 'make it feel better'.

• Thanks 1

Habitat
43 minutes ago, jypsijemini said:

Well, you haven't "let go". You might ask yourself about why that might be so. But, if you insist you have let go, then you will be spinning the wheels for a while yet.

Habitat
2 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Huh? 

Can you clean this up a bit. It doesn’t make sense.

Thank you.

I means that dwelling on stuff that happened decades ago, suggests you have not been able to process the dynamics involved in whatever it was that happened. I know bad experiences leave a strong imprint, but it is a weakness to allow that to dog you interminably. We laud people who change the world for the better, we don't laud people who allow the world to change them for the worse.

Jodie.Lynne

I have a niece who is a firm adherent of "holistic" medicines and "EFT" (Emotional Freedom Techniques), and has disavowed real medicine. She has even stated that she regrets having her children vaccinated (neither of her two children have ANY type of learning disabilities, BTW) because vaccines are "poison and cause autism".

She follows an alternative health path, because it "feels" right to her, and you cannot convince her otherwise, because (according to her) there is a vast conspiracy against alternative medicine.

I bring this apparent non sequitur up, because it illustrates that beliefs can be based on illogical and spurious foundations, without regard to reality. And it is remarkably easy to disregard any data that contradicts or invalidates what one believes, when one is convinced that they are right.

• Like 6

Habitat
1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

As far as I'm concerned, ANY religion is on the same level as those primitives gathered around the witch doctors hut, watching him throw the bones to predict the future. I have no use for it, although your mileage may vary.

That's all admissible, these things involve language, and the language changes a great deal over time, sometimes the modern sensibility does not quite match old, even if "the fundamental rules apply, as time goes by". However, people who have had a taste of one particular flavour of "religion", and then deem all religious ideas as void, are like a woman whose first boyfriend was a mongrel, then signing up to the "all men are barstewards" school of thought. It is just ignorance. It is only fair and reasonable to pass judgement on one "accused" at a time.

Sherapy
21 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I means that dwelling on stuff that happened decades ago, suggests you have not been able to process the dynamics involved in whatever it was that happened. I know bad experiences leave a strong imprint, but it is a weakness to allow that to dog you interminably. We laud people who change the world for the better, we don't laud people who allow the world to change them for the worse.

Still not following.

Moving on.

• Like 6