Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Twitter unfairly banning Republicans again

ExpandMyMind

Republican candidate, Danielle Stella, who is vying to unseat Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) has been permanently suspended from Twitter after threatening Omar’s life on the platform over a debunked conspiracy theory.

On Tuesday, Stella spread a false story about the freshman congresswoman’s involvement in passing along classified information regarding Iran. One of Stella’s completely false tweets read: “If it is proven @IlhanMN passed sensitive info to Iran, she should be tried for #treason and hanged.”

According to the Washington Post, the candidate also shared a tweet that linked to a depiction of a hanging stick figure. Twitter confirmed the suspension to the paper earlier this week.

Stella reacted to the ban by slamming Twitter with more conspiracy theories, telling the Washington Times, “My suspension for advocating for the enforcement of federal code proves Twitter will always side with and fight to protect terrorists, traitors, pedophiles and rapists.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/danielle-stella-ilhan-omar-threat-banned-twitter-919956/

And that fake news story about her Omar being in the Muslim Brotherhood has been generally accepted by the right wing conspiracy nuts on this board. There's even a thread on it, not even in the looney-bin section, where most conspiracy theories go to die.

Anyone spot the dog whistles in her comments? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I never heard of this conspiracy theory, so I don't know much about it, but it does sound dumb.

However, I'm also not going to cheer on having private corporations being able to dictate what is truth. 

It's a corporation.I also doubt censorship like this will be applied fairly and equally.

Let free speech of our representative happen, it's up to people to decide if they want to vote for someone like that or not. Not Twitter's CEO.

37 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I never heard of this conspiracy theory, so I don't know much about it, but it does sound dumb.

However, I'm also not going to cheer on having private corporations being able to dictate what is truth. 

It's a corporation.I also doubt censorship like this will be applied fairly and equally.

Let free speech of our representative happen, it's up to people to decide if they want to vote for someone like that or not. Not Twitter's CEO.

She called for the death of her opponent. Twitter has terms of use, like any other service, and calling for the death of someone, along with posting a cartoon of them hanging, violates these. They didn't vote her for the conspiracy theory (or her 'truth', as you assume). If they started banning people for conspiracy theories then they'd have to ban pretty much every Republican who's ever posted on the site.

Also, Twitter is a private corporation, free to do what they want. Free speech does not apply to them. Calling for them to be fair and balanced just doesn't make sense, especially when you have Zuckerberg meeting dozens of times with people from the GOP and having private dinners with the President. 

Tell me, if Fox bans a liberal politician from appearing on their show are they also not letting the 'people decide'? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

She called for the death of her opponent. Twitter has terms of use, like any other service, and calling for the death of someone, along with posting a cartoon of them hanging, violates these. They didn't vote her for the conspiracy theory (or her 'truth', as you assume). If they started banning people for conspiracy theories then they'd have to ban pretty much every Republican who's ever posted on the site.

Also, Twitter is a private corporation, free to do what they want. Free speech does not apply to them. Calling for them to be fair and balanced just doesn't make sense, especially when you have Zuckerberg meeting dozens of times with people from the GOP and having private dinners with the President. 

Tell me, if Fox bans a liberal politician from appearing on their show are they also not letting the 'people decide'? 

Haha was too lazy to read the article. Calling for death of your oppenent is a different story. 

However, in regards to my general point, these massive tech companies are like the utilities companies during the anti trust era. 

Yes they are private companies, but like the utilities companies in the past, they are becoming so powerful and such a central part of modren society that they will start to loose the same amount of leeway as other private companies. Like the utility companies during the antitrust era. 

Fox can do that, CNN can do that. They are news organizations, not open platforms. 

Tech Giants can have a strong influence on politics , business, and policy is we start letting them censor and algorithm away in unfair ways.

As you pointed out, in the situation above a death threat is obviously different. But the concern of over powerful corporate tech Giants is something to keep an eye on.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

Don't know about this candidate, and I hate anyone that advocates physical violence or threatens anyone, but I also hate hyperbole and inaccuracies. She didn't "call for her death" or "threaten her life" she said IF...let me repeat that because it's a short word..........IF....... its proven Oman did these crimes she should hang......(I've heard many such nasty things or worse wished on Trump). The penalty for high treason is to be hung, drawn and quartered. Plus, there was no picture of Oman being hung, it was a link to a stick figure drawing such as the type used when playing the child's game, Hangman.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, skliss said:

Don't know about this candidate, and I hate anyone that advocates physical violence or threatens anyone, but I also hate hyperbole and inaccuracies. She didn't "call for her death" or "threaten her life" she said IF...let me repeat that because it's a short word..........IF....... its proven Oman did these crimes she should hang......(I've heard many such nasty things or worse wished on Trump). The penalty for high treason is to be hung, drawn and quartered. Plus, there was no picture of Oman being hung, it was a link to a stick figure drawing such as the type used when playing the child's game, Hangman.

Well except for the fact that it is impossible to commit treason right now as stated by Trump Jr's lawyer when it was brought up about the Trump Tower meeting.  Apparently you have to be in a declared war to commit treason.  So it would be "collusion" and collusion isn't a crime. 

• Like 2

Just now, Gromdor said:

Well except for the fact that it is impossible to commit treason right now as stated by Trump Jr's lawyer when it was brought up about the Trump Tower meeting.  Apparently you have to be in a declared war to commit treason.  So it would be "collusion" and collusion isn't a crime. 

Blah, blah, blah......has nothing to do with this post in any way.  Not even remotely similar.....no wonder it's so hard to hold a conversation these days.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, skliss said:

Blah, blah, blah......has nothing to do with this post in any way.  Not even remotely similar.....no wonder it's so hard to hold a conversation these days.

You said if she did what was claimed she should be killed.  I am merely pointing out that Trump has demonstrated that it is not illegal. (If she even did it)

• Like 1

Just now, Gromdor said:

You said if she did what was claimed she should be killed.  I am merely pointing out that Trump has demonstrated that it is not illegal. (If she even did it)

I never said any such thing!!! Nor would I ever, not a huge fan of the death penalty, never have been. I was pointing out the differences in what was reported and what was twitted...tweeted...whatever.

And IMO your comparison is far from valid. It's more hyperbole. Obviously treason is a real crime and it would have to be proven....which is what was said.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skliss said:

I never said any such thing!!! Nor would I ever, not a huge fan of the death penalty, never have been. I was pointing out the differences in what was reported and what was twitted...tweeted...whatever.

And IMO your comparison is far from valid. It's more hyperbole. Obviously treason is a real crime and it would have to be proven....which is what was said.

Eh, my bad then.  It seemed like you were favoring her execution when you said this part:

23 minutes ago, skliss said:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Eh, my bad then.  It seemed like you were favoring her execution when you said this part:

Gotcha...what I, badly, tried to say was that the original tweet used the word ......IF..... not that I was advocating anything. The person tweeting was raising the possibility that this is not fact but merely a possibility.

Oh, and I looked up treason to see if that was still the penalty or not.

Edited by skliss
Forgot something

11 hours ago, skliss said:

You say that as if thats better. Try this on and see if you like it:

If Skliss is guilty of that murder she should be electrocuted. Im not saying she is guilty of murdering those children, but children have been murdered near her,  and if she is she should be punished with death.

Should Twitter allow me to make that statement about you? I said IF , I wasnt accusing you or threatening you, I was just saying IF you did you should be punished with death.

The above is the perfect representation of the GOP tactics used not just here but in many many areas.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

It's not so much a conspiracy theory as an accusation.  Essentially a business man with questionable dealings with Saudi Arabia and I believe Kuwait or maybe it was the UAE, possibly all three, and having a sketchy past with a long list of making similar accusations that have never been proven or disproven testified while under oath in a court case in Florida that Omar, Kushner, and various other people were paid agents for Qatar and sending the Qatari government sensitive information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, skliss said:

thanks skiss.... it's so tedious and transparent the way facts are maliciously twisted  and if someone
didn't see the original they would be non the wiser.....

Danielle Stella who got banned should have been more careful with her tweeting because she should have known
that certain people (like Omar) have a level of protection that she she doesn't .... because Twitter is biased and
part of the growing problem of one sided censorship... maybe if the whole thing was reversed and it was Omar
making similar comments it would have been overlooked or she might have had a minor 'punishment'... but there
is no way she would have been banned like her Republican opponent was... because she has protection and is
promoted as it looks like she is one of the Deep State / Globalist political stars...?....

IMO Danielle Stella made a blunder getting carried away with what she said... and it could be described as inflammatory... 
but she gifted the ban into Biased Twitter's hands by making the tweet.. .... 

As you said..I'm sure that much MUCH worse has been said about Trump and nothing done about it.... in fact I
just had a look to see if the '''comedian'''' Kathy Griffin still had an account... she was the one who posed with
a beheaded Trump head dripping with blood... reminiscent an ISIS trophy... and yes... she's still there...
because she is in the 'protected' category I suppose....  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bee said:

As you said..I'm sure that much MUCH worse has been said about Trump and nothing done about it.... in fact I
just had a look to see if the '''comedian'''' Kathy Griffin still had an account... she was the one who posed with
a beheaded Trump head dripping with blood... reminiscent an ISIS trophy... and yes... she's still there...
because she is in the 'protected' category I suppose....  

Or she just didnt do it on twitter :tu: Ya know since it is their rules that we're discussing and all?

Sorry I know that rained on the whole victim parade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

You say that as if thats better. Try this on and see if you like it:

If Skliss is guilty of that murder she should be electrocuted. Im not saying she is guilty of murdering those children, but children have been murdered near her,  and if she is she should be punished with death.

Should Twitter allow me to make that statement about you? I said IF , I wasnt accusing you or threatening you, I was just saying IF you did you should be punished with death.

The above is the perfect representation of the GOP tactics used not just here but in many many areas.

Your random example doesn't compare to the story in question...

IF skiss was a public figure / politician and had been named (accused) by someone under oath in a court of law of
committing a serious crime............ should Twitter allow the comment....?

Like I said before the Stella comment could be seen as inflammatory but could have been dealt with without
a full ban...

but Twitter will be Twitter...... ie a tool for the Deep State ...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bee said:

IF skiss was a public figure / politician and had been named (accused) by someone under oath in a court of law of
committing a serious crime............ should Twitter allow the comment....?

IMO not without evidence in todays environment.

7 minutes ago, bee said:

but Twitter will be Twitter...... ie a tool for the Deep State ...

LOL suuuuuuuure it is  :tu:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Or she just didnt do it on twitter :tu: Ya know since it is their rules that we're discussing and all?

Sorry I know that rained on the whole victim parade.

Did she or didn't she....?

In this Joe Rogan clip they say / believe she did...

Joe Rogan - Why Isn't Kathy Griffin Banned From Twitter?

Just now, bee said:

Did she or didn't she....?

In this Joe Rogan clip they say / believe she did...

Joe Rogan - Why Isn't Kathy Griffin Banned From Twitter?

It doesnt look like she posted the beheading pic on Twitter.

She did get twitter investigated though http:// https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kathy-griffin-twitter-complaint_n_5b28c9a6e4b05d6c16c6e044

4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

IMO not without evidence in todays environment.

I can agree with that up to a point - but think that Twitter shouldn't have been so draconian...

And (in today;s environment) of intense political interest.... could have just removed the comment
and given a warning or something....but hey...I'm not payed up  Authoritarian Twitter Intelligentsia 
so what do I know... ^_^

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

It doesnt look like she posted the beheading pic on Twitter.

She did get twitter investigated though http:// https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kathy-griffin-twitter-complaint_n_5b28c9a6e4b05d6c16c6e044

I can't imagine that she didn't..... and that it wasn't retweeted by all the Peace Loving Trump Haters... :)
but all traces are removed now...? 

and by the way... at the moment that link is just going back to the start of this thread...

1 minute ago, bee said:

I can't imagine that she didn't..... and that it wasn't retweeted by all the Peace Loving Trump Haters... :)
but all traces are removed now...? 

and by the way... at the moment that link is just going back to the start of this thread...

IDK im just guessing but as an entertainer I imagine her income is driven in no small party by social media so she, or more correct her PR folks, probably understand the rules and wont do anything to lose that revenue source. Could not be there because it never was.

Oh thanks for letting me know, it was just an article about someone reporting her to twitter and twitter's "investigation" results.

13 hours ago, skliss said:

She said if it's 'proven', not if it's 'true'. She obviously believes it's true, since she posted a Tweet of a cartoon of Omar hanging. That's not something you do if you're not sure if something's true. 

And look at the other thread. All Republicans just ate that Muslim Brotherhood **** right up.

So let's not pretend she is anything other than a horrible human being.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

So let's not pretend she is anything other than a horrible human being.

that is so (dangerously) judgemental - just as judgemental as the original comment you complain about...

one ill judged comment on Twitter made in the heat of the moment does not make someone a horrible human being.... 

get it in perspective... don't lose your humanity in the rush to try and win an argument...

and THAT is a bit of free (unsolicited) advice.... :yes:

you're welcome

• Like 1