Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New apple launched that 'lasts for a year'

Still Waters

A new breed of apple that took two decades to develop and allegedly lasts for up to a year in the fridge goes on sale in the US on Sunday.

The apple - Cosmic Crisp - is a cross-breed of the Honeycrisp and Enterprise and was first cultivated by Washington State University in 1997.

The launch of the "firm, crisp, and juicy apple" cost $10m (£7.9m).

Farmers in the state of Washington are exclusively allowed to grow the fruit for the next decade.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50619281

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Given how much they cost, I'd expect them to.

Oh, it's a kind of fruit, is it. They do fruit as well do they? 

• Haha 2

True Love : guaranteed to last 

Money back not applicable 

~

By the title I was thinking an Apple smart phone.

• Like 2

Dec 01 -A new breed of apple that took two decades to develop and allegedly lasts for up to a year in the fridge goes on sale in the US on Sunday.

The apple – Cosmic Crisp – is a cross-breed of the Honeycrisp and Enterprise and was first cultivated by Washington State University in 1997.

https://www.envirolink.org/2019/12/01/cosmic-crisp-new-apple-launched-that-lasts-for-a-year/

Me too.  I thought it was a phone.  Finally, I thought truth in advertising.  They tell you up front it will only last for a year.

I do love Honeycrisp apples though.  I have a tree in my backyard I keep pruned to about 6' high and get 30-50 apples.  Plenty for me and my wife.  I will say that any fruit picked ripe from a tree tastes better than one picked green and left to ripen in the shipping box.  It is a little scary to breed in the ability for long storage.  That is desirable for  shippers, not consumers.   Red Delicious apples used to taste delicious too until they were modified to enhance storage and shipment.

The new macintosh!