Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Cover your smart TV's camera": advise FBI

Eldorado

"As people take advantage of Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, the FBI has warned those purchasing smart TVs that some could be used as a window into your home by crooks.

"According to the intelligence agency's Portland, Oregon, bureau, which issued a reminder last week, the useful features of a smart TV, such as internet connection, microphones and cameras, are also means that hackers can use to gain access to your home.

"“Beyond the risk that your TV manufacturer and app developers may be listening and watching you, that television can also be a gateway for hackers to come into your home,” the FBI wrote. "A bad cyber actor may not be able to access your locked-down computer directly, but it is possible that your unsecured TV can give him or her an easy way in the backdoor through your router.""

Full report at the UK Independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/smart-tv-hack-fbi-cyber-stalk-camera-microphone-internet-a9230176.html

"Back-to-basics option: if you can’t turn off a camera, use a simple piece of black tape over the camera lens.

"Check the manufacturer’s ability to update your device with security patches.

"Check the privacy policy for the TV manufacturer and the streaming services you use: confirm what data they collect, how they store that data, and what they do with it. "

Full report at the ABC: https://abcnews.go.com/US/fbi-smart-tv-security-buy-cyber-monday/stor

Edited by Eldorado
typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Your smartphone may as well have "CIA" stamped on the inside cover. All the big wigs have known about remote camera (and mic,) control for a while now.

image.jpg

The irony of Zuckerberg, owner of the world's biggest data mining company, covering his laptop with tape to protect his privacy..

• Like 5

I always cover the cams on my laptops and the front cam of my smartphones as well. Yes, paranoid but, who knows.

• Like 5

It's sad but that's basically how it is now.

• Like 5

Just now, odas said:

I just put my dark sunglasses on. Should work.

There is only one reliable defense against deep state surveillance:

Spoiler

41-GL1ach-We-L.jpg

Not even Google's algorithm's can crack this one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I put dark sunglasses on mine. 

• Haha 3

as i understood the biggest issue is not that someone will see you, but they can get to your router using poor security of your tv,  and than see everything you do online,  and steal your identity and money

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, aztek said:

as i understood the biggest issue is not that someone will see you, but they can get to your router using poor security of your tv,  and than see everything you do online,  and steal your identity and money

Don't care about identity theft or money. I have big nose, lot's to pick. That is scary.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

It's sad but that's basically how it is now.

Yeah buts its also funny somehow that millions of users/customers are willing to pay 100$ for devices like Alexa+Echo to get spied upon and analyzed 24/7. But anyway, brilliant marketing.

• Like 1

Sound advice and I've been doing this since 2012. Not because I'm afraid of the 'government' watching me, but rather in case some hacker sees me going all Tom Cruise in Risky Business and posts it on the internet.

Personally, I don't believe the UK government would spy on its citizens in this manner outwith the boundaries of the law (so, without a warrant or the equivalent). Not that they wouldn't want to, but rather that they would be completely ****ed if they were caught. In saying that, it wouldn't surprise me if GCHQ and the NSA (or other organisations worldwide) had some sort of black-op secret deal where they watch each others' citizens and report any crimes uncovered. But not our own and definitely never in any way that couldn't be plausibly denied.

Maybe I'm just becoming too trusting in my old age.

I always just shake my jiggly bits furiously in front of the camera. Anyone watching would quickly turn it off and make note to never open it again.

• Haha 1