Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Barr disputes key inspector general finding

ExpandMyMind

Attorney General William P. Barr has told associates he disagrees with the Justice Department’s inspector general on one of the key findings in an upcoming report — that the FBI had enough information in July 2016 to justify launching an investigation into members of the Trump campaign, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Justice Department’s inspector general, Michael Horo­witz, is due to release his long-awaited findings in a week, but behind the scenes at the Justice Department, disagreement has surfaced about one of Horowitz’s central conclusions on the origins of the Russia investigation. The discord could be the prelude to a major fissure within federal law enforcement on the controversial question of investigating a presidential campaign.

Barr has not been swayed by Horowitz’s rationale for concluding that the FBI had sufficient basis to open an investigation on July 31, 2016, these people said.

Barr’s public defenses of President Trump, including his assertion that intelligence agents spied on the Trump campaign, have led Democrats to accuse him of acting like the president’s personal attorney and eroding the independence of the Justice Department. But Trump and his Republican allies have cheered Barr’s skepticism of the Russia investigation.

WP

"Inspector General Horowitz is a fiercely independent investigator and a superb investigator who I think has conducted this particular investigation in the most professional way. And I think his work, when it does come out, will be a credit to the department." - Barr, three weeks ago.

More evidence, if it was needed, that Barr in nothing but a Trump lackey. The DOJ has been completely weaponised to serve the President. It's astounding that so many people can sit by and not only watch this happen, but actively cheer it on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

"Inspector General Horowitz is a fiercely independent investigator and a superb investigator who I think has conducted this particular investigation in the most professional way. And I think his work, when it does come out, will be a credit to the department." - Barr, three weeks ago.

More evidence, if it was needed, that Barr in nothing but a Trump lackey. The DOJ has been completely weaponised to serve the President. It's astounding that so many people can sit by and not only watch this happen, but actively cheer it on. 

This is objectively the worse case scenario for a free society. 

• Like 3

It's the religious holy war trap... 

~

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, third_eye said:

It's the religious holy war trap... 

~

You're not wrong. Barr is a religious fundamentalist. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I honestly suspect (and this is just a suspicion) that Russia has kompromat over the GOP. The GOP successfully hacked both the DNC and RNC, but only released info on the DNC. I think they very well could be holding something over the GOP, found in the emails that they now have. Remember when a Republican political delegation of Senators  went to Russia on July 4th? That was truly, truly strange and there has been no believable explanation for it.

It's the only reason I can see for the GOP's support for Trump and his actions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

The GOP successfully hacked both the DNC and RNC

Freudian slip there? :lol: ......

Yeah man it is not good times over here. It does seem that   the gravity of what is happening does may be seeping through with the media beginning to discuss the issue in real terms rather than tripping over themselves to frame it as a "both sides" issue. Like we saw with Chuck Todd calling out that GOPer.

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Freudian slip there? :lol: ......

Yeah man it is not good times over here. It does seem that   the gravity of what is happening does may be seeping through with the media beginning to discuss the issue in real terms rather than tripping over themselves to frame it as a "both sides" issue. Like we saw with Chuck Todd calling out that GOPer.

:D Whoops.

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

You're not wrong. Barr is a religious fundamentalist. 

Yes he is, he belongs to fundamentalist Catholic Order called Opus Dei. 

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2012/12/13/opus-dei-united-states-february-25-1995

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Oh REALLY ? :P 

An attorney general disagrees with an FBI investigator, and that is "objectively" the worse case scenario for a free society ? 

Good heavens.. what a fragile society you live in. You should put up a sign "Caution...please do not sneeze as this could cause the End of the Republic" :D 

Objectively speaking :D

• Like 2

I honestly suspect (and this is just a suspicion) that Russia has kompromat over the GOP. The GOP successfully hacked both the DNC and RNC, but only released info on the DNC. I...

Huh ? The GOP hacked the DNC ? 

Really ? 

Do you have ANY evidence for this ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoofGardener said:

Really ? 

He'll have to confer with the Washington Post and CNN before he can get back to you.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Oh REALLY ? :P 

An attorney general disagrees with an FBI investigator, and that is "objectively" the worse case scenario for a free society ? 

Good heavens.. what a fragile society you live in. You should put up a sign "Caution...please do not sneeze as this could cause the End of the Republic" :D 

Objectively speaking :D

The purpose of the inspector general is that they are completely separate from all politics, as the Barr quote from the OP confirms. To then deny the results of the only person who has actually investigated the claims, the inspector general, a man who is also undeniably unpartisan, is absolutely ridiculous. Especially when there is a sum total of zero evidence that points to the contrary.

So, you have an AG who is going against the FBI and the investigation into the FBI, all in order to spout Trump wag-the-dog talking points as a means of distracting from the very real crimes of the President. That is frightening. If you can't fathom why, then I don't know what to tell you other than to have a read up on what happened to Nixon's lackey AG. 

11 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Really ? 

I meant Russia, not the GOP, as Farmer's next reply makes clear. Though as time goes by there's becoming less of a distinction between the two.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:lol:

All that build up and the best he could come up with was that he doesn't think there was enough to start the investigation. 

Trumpers - still convinced Obama and Hillary are going to be executed for treason over this? :lol:

Edited by Setton
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

The purpose of the inspector general is that they are completely separate from all politics, as the Barr quote from the OP confirms. To then deny the results of the only person who has actually investigated the claims, the inspector general, a man who is also undeniably unpartisan, is absolutely ridiculous. Especially when there is a sum total of zero evidence that points to the contrary.

Precisely @ExpandMyMind. So if the AG contradicts the IG, who wins ? 

The obvious answer is the IG, for the reasons you have highlighted. Americans KNOW that the AG is a political appointee. They are not stupid. (deranged occasionally, but not actually stupid). 

My point is that this conflict is NOT about to herald the death of a free society, as @Farmer77 suggested. His statement is - to say the least - hyperbole. It is ridiculous, misleading, and - in all probability - fattening ! 

The full list... 

[00.00:39]

~

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

The full list... 

[00.00:39]

~

I've got this vague recollection that there was an American President who was 'doorstepped' by journalists just as he was getting on a train. (I think he was touring the country drumming up support). This was the very first ever EVER live TV interview with a president "in the field"... a sort of "Outside Broadcast". 

This was his chance to speak to The American People... a unique event in history at the time. His chance to get his election message across to thousands - possibly hundreds of thousands - or people. 

He just said something like "Hello. Goodby", and then got on the train. 

Or something like that. 

3 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Or something like that

Back in the days when the iron horses waited for no man? 

Presidential or elect? 

I'm not aware of this one, sorry... 

~

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Your spin-narrative is, as usual, waaay off-base...but your concern is nevertheless well-founded:  

Between Horowitz, Durham, Barr, and Trump...the TRUTH has indeed been "weaponised" and will be used to bash these conspirators and traitors (and the rest of the Left) upside their heads over and over and over again.  It will be awesome to witness.  I can't wait.

Most of America is cheering this on, by the way...and more are being added to the cheering section EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I don't know if the American public will get "blood" for the perps...but that's definitely what they want.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Setton said:

:lol:

All that build up and the best he could come up with was that he doesn't think there was enough to start the investigation. 

Trumpers - still convinced Obama and Hillary are going to be executed for treason over this? :lol:

3 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

Your spin-narrative is, as usual, waaay off-base...but your concern is nevertheless well-founded:  

Between Horowitz, Durham, Barr, and Trump...the TRUTH has indeed been "weaponised" and will be used to bash these conspirators and traitors (and the rest of the Left) upside their heads over and over and over again.  It will be awesome to witness.  I can't wait.

Most of America is cheering this on, by the way...and more are being added to the cheering section EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I don't know if the American public will get "blood" for the perps...but that's definitely what they want.

There's your answer, right on cue, @Setton.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Yeah man it is not good times over here.

For you and the rest of the 'gang who couldn't shoot straight', it's going to get a whole helluva lot worse before it gets...still worse yet.

Are you ready?

Edited by hacktorp
  • Like 1

There's your answer, right on cue, @Setton.

"If all else fails, a total unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett. Aka Hacktorp. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

My point is that this conflict is NOT about to herald the death of a free society, as @Farmer77 suggested. His statement is - to say the least - hyperbole. It is ridiculous, misleading, and - in all probability - fattening

Your inability to comprehend the importance of an independent justice system to maintaining a free society doesn't mean I'm wrong. It simply means you don't understand the issue at hand. That's ok roofie we all have our things to work on :tu:

Maybe if you spend some time educating yourself on the matter you can come back to the grown up table and rejoin the conversation. 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Your inability to comprehend the importance of an independent justice system to maintaining a free society doesn't mean I'm wrong. It simply means you don't understand the issue at hand. That's ok roofie we all have our things to work on :tu:

Maybe if you spend some time educating yourself on the matter you can come back to the grown up table and rejoin the conversation. 

Now, now. Play nice with the other children, Farmer :lol:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, hacktorp said:

THAT will indeed be the difference here.  As I recall, Horowitz cleared the FBI of any partisanship in the "HRC email 'matter'"  So, yeah Horowitz is either partisan or not very professional in his investigatory duties.  I mean, he overlooked Strzok and Page?  

Barr and Durham, OTOH, will produce indictments for evidenced wrongdoing and the courts can hash it out.  It will be interesting to watch them squirm while trying to spin actual evidence in court proceedings.

• Like 1