Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
joc

Gadhimai Hindu festival:

joc

Gadhimai Hindu festival: World’s ‘largest animal sacrifice’ under way in defiance of ban

Hindu worshippers have begun beheading thousands of buffalo in Nepal as part of what is thought to be the world’s largest animal sacrifice event.

The Gadhimai festival started in the early hours of Tuesday morning as a priest killed a goat, rat, chicken, pig and pigeon and then offered blood from his own body.

Around 200 butchers wielding curved kukri knives then descended on a walled temple arena containing an estimated 3,500 buffalo to behead the animals.

Campaigners for animal rights charity Humane Society International described seeing baby buffaloes bellowing as they watched their mothers being decapitated.

Link

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is wrong with these people?  Culture? Religion? Both?

• Sad 4

The Wistman

My broad-mindedness ends with the suffering and butchery of animals, particularly as a religious sacrifice.

This 'ceremony' is barbaric and horrific.  It degrades humanity.

Edited by The Wistman
  • Like 3

third_eye

Every five years compared with what goes on on a daily basis all over the world... 

I dunno... an ancient version of "the purge" ?

~

• Like 4

Piney
30 minutes ago, The Wistman said:

This 'ceremony' is barbaric and horrific.  It degrades humanity.

The Hindu use to have a white horse sacrifice with PIE origins like the Celtic one where the prince or princess laid with the corpse....

.....I'm glad they did away with that one but the spiritual traditions of certain sects in certain areas still need to grow. 

1 hour ago, joc said:

What is wrong with these people?  Culture? Religion? Both?

Generally I don't agree with messing with another culture due to the fact my tribal language and culture (Nanticoke) is extinct and we practice a Lenape or Ojibway one.

But this is a little to brutal......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1