Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Spray-painted polar bear alarms experts

Still Waters

Footage shared on social media in Russia of a polar bear with "T-34" spray-painted in black on its side has alarmed experts.

Experts warned the stunt could affect the animal's ability to blend in with its surroundings and hunt for food.

An investigation is under way to determine exactly where in Arctic Russia the video was filmed.

The T-34 was a tank that played a vital role in the Soviet Union's defeat of Nazi Germany in World War Two.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50643315

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/russian-scientists-search-for-polar-bear-with-black-t-34-sprayed-on-its-side/

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

newbloodmoon

I would be inclined to rename the bear T-35 in honor of the graffiti artist who got eaten after spray painting a Polar Bear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

quiXilver
1 hour ago, newbloodmoon said:

I would be inclined to rename the bear T-35 in honor of the graffiti artist who got eaten after spray painting a Polar Bear.

We can hope...

• Like 4

Still Waters

Update:

T-34 polar bear video explained: scientists marked the predator in 'safe paint'

There was an outcry when the polar bear was seen branded by ‘graffiti’ with the name of the iconic T-34 Soviet tank. 

But scientists said the wild animal was marked in a good cause, and say T-34 was a grid reference relating to this area of the Arctic archipelago.

The polar bear visited a village rubbish dump worrying residents, said Andrey Umnikov, director of the Russian Centre for Arctic Exploration.

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/t-34-polar-bear-video-explained-scientists-marked-the-predator-in-safe-paint/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chaldon

Grid reference, my arts! In Russia "T-34" (with dash) is unanimously understood as the name of the tank, you can meet this abbreviation virtually everywhere. Written in such huge letters, it's a dirty prank for sure, everything else is just a clumsy pretext. Such a shame!

Seti42
28 minutes ago, Chaldon said:

Grid reference, my arts! In Russia "T-34" (with dash) is unanimously understood as the name of the tank, you can meet this abbreviation virtually everywhere. Written in such huge letters, it's a dirty prank for sure, everything else is just a clumsy pretext. Such a shame!

Your tinfoil hat is on too tight.

mdbuilder

The bear had to be sedated to be painted. It was a 'scientist, veterinarian or environmentalist. I sure as heck wouldn't try getting close enough to make four or five strokes with a can of Krylon. 

Twin

Probably a World of Tanks Player.

• Haha 1

Chaldon
13 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Your tinfoil hat is on too tight.

Why the tinfoil hat? I'm living in Russia. Thanks to Putin's new wave of WWII TV blockbusters, what T-34 is now knows every 3-year old. The general opinion is that T-34 is the legendary tank which secured Russia's victory in WWII, on many cars you can see stickers with T-34 together with the words "To Berlin!" (На Берлин!) or "Thanks to my granddad for the Victory" (Спасибо деду за Победу).

Chaldon
12 hours ago, mdbuilder said:

The bear had to be sedated to be painted. It was a 'scientist, veterinarian or environmentalist. I sure as heck wouldn't try getting close enough to make four or five strokes with a can of Krylon. 

You can't imagine what a drunk 18-years old Russian is able to do. Sometimes. It depends.

Edited by Chaldon

psyche101
16 minutes ago, Chaldon said:

You can't imagine what a drunk 18-years old Russian is able to do. Sometimes. It depends.

Why would scientists cover up for some prank?

• Like 1

Matt221

Hardly a Banksy piece is it

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Chaldon
7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Why would scientists cover up for some prank?

Nobody covered anything up. Ananoly Kochnev said "Scientists could not do this, it could have been somebody who ‘joked’ like this." I can guess, some arschlochs found a heavily sedated bear just after scientists gone and painted him on.

DieChecker

So the article saying it was scientists is fake?

I saw a lot of Virtue Signalling on this on many sites the other day.

Another example of idiots posting outrage when they have no idea what the situation actually is.

psyche101
8 hours ago, Chaldon said:

Nobody covered anything up. Ananoly Kochnev said "Scientists could not do this, it could have been somebody who ‘joked’ like this." I can guess, some arschlochs found a heavily sedated bear just after scientists gone and painted him on.

That's s not what that article says, it only says he claimed the T 34 reference was not the tank reference.

Here, from the link SW left;

The animal was marked with ‘safe paint’ which wears off over two weeks, and moved away to discourage him from coming back. 

The mark was made to allow both the locals and experts recognise the beast in case he returned, and to distinguish it from any other polar bear scavenging at the site.

Andrey Umnikov denied T-34 referred to the tank.

• Thanks 1