Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How can we actually create happy societies?

Still Waters

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Maybe happiness is not the right goal.  Being happy is an emotion and fluctuates.  Maybe the goal isn't a happy society but a meaningful society? Having meaning or value may lead to a more overall happiness.

Personally I see happiness as the right goal because its a heart-thing, an emotional sense of wellbeing..

Sure it fluctuates, but the heart never lies.

And I agree, having meaning or value in your life is one path to happiness, but then surely happiness is the higher attainment than meaning by itself? And if that's so, then happiness must be the right goal. Happiness being the end result of good intentions, good choices and good deeds! 

18 minutes ago, Coil said:

Bliss is an integral part of God and, accordingly, man too:

But not the be all or end all of either.  I seem to recall the biblical God being upset with humanity a few times.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, and then said:

A life where every person feels they are of value to the society would be a good start.  It's a fact that those who are idly wealthy are often miserable and self-destructive.  Give people something to strive for as a group and ensure that they all feel invested in the outcome.  Even then, it will only be as successful as the most malcontented allow it to be.  It's our nature, not our government or economic structures that are the worst problem.  

True.  

But we live in a world ruled by lies, fear of living—fear of death and stealing, which creates anxiety.  Anyone who denies this simply tells another lie.  One cannot function properly under this stress.  

Oh sun, burp forth a CME, just One, not to big nor too small, break through the prison wall to awaken and free us all from the influence of the usurping interloper! 

Kinda like a mini NDE without the drama.  

Edited by Festina Lente

16 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Personally I see happiness as the right goal because its a heart-thing, an emotional sense of wellbeing..

Sure it fluctuates, but the heart never lies.

And I agree, having meaning or value in your life is one path to happiness, but then surely happiness is the higher attainment than meaning by itself? And if that's so, then happiness must be the right goal. Happiness being the end result of good intentions, good choices and good deeds! 

Can you name a different path to happiness than meaning?  I can't think of one.  Can no meaning also lead to happiness I wonder?  By that I mean believing (understanding) nothing has permanent or real meaning or value.

Edited by OverSword

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

When did God command us to be happy?  I think it was be fruitful and multiply.

Exactly.  Food for the gods.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Can you name a different path to happiness than meaning?  I can't think of one.  Can no meaning also lead to happiness I wonder?  By that I mean believing (understanding) nothing has permanent or real meaning or value.

Yes I think you are right!

Through meditation and certain yogic practices, one can transcend the mind and abide within pure conscious awareness. If the reports of the spiritually realised ones are to be believed? And in this Awakened state of Being.

But, by doing the right thing, spontaneously, without meaning, can also bring about a real sense of happiness and well being. 

Perhaps there is a pathway here? Actions born of a certain meaning and goal = happiness. And actions that are spontaneous, again leading to happiness. And then the Awakened state of being, where fear, greed and ignorance in general are totally finished with, and therefore, a perfect happiness/joy/bliss is attained. This is what I want to know for myself - before sharing.

A productive worker is a happy worker.  Having a sense of purpose and accomplishing something that we put our body / mind towards.  For a long-term sense of happiness and contentment - comradeship and working as part of a vast community, knowing that each person has an important role to play within that society, no matter how small.  As the old proverb goes:

For the want of a nail - the shoe was lost.
For the want of a shoe - the horse was lost.
For the want of a horse - the rider was lost.
For the want of a rider - the message was lost.
For the want of a message - the battle was lost.
For the want of a battle - the war was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Imagine two different societies. In the first, people tend to be stressed, tense, irritable, distracted and self-absorbed. In the second, people tend to be at ease, untroubled, quick to laugh, expansive and self-assured.

The difference between these two imagined scenarios is vast. You’re not only more likely to be happier in the second scenario – you’re also more likely to be safer, healthier and have better relationships. The difference between a happy and an unhappy society is not trivial. We know that happiness matters beyond our desire to feel good.

So how can we create a happy society? 

https://theconversation.com/how-can-we-actually-create-happy-societies-124711

Its about making sure everyone is treated with respect and preventing all driving forces at work that can undermine that goal.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

But not the be all or end all of either.  I seem to recall the biblical God being upset with humanity a few times.

Jesus said he will send is sword as revange must be the antechrist as whe know but look at poltergeist on google and poltergeist from demonologue dave constantine from a haunting its two different world...

15 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

Jesus said he will send is sword as revange must be the antechrist as whe know but look at poltergeist on google and poltergeist from demonologue dave constantine from a haunting its two different world...

When did Jesus say that?  I remember him quoted as saying put your sword back in it's scabbard for he who lives by the sword shall die by it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

When did Jesus say that?  I remember him quoted as saying put your sword back in it's scabbard for he who lives by the sword shall die by it.

Its confirmed i can find it but it would be to long but it was is exact words i see...i am 100% sure 

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

He said he would send is sword in revange...

Edited by The Eternal Flame

I remember that and turn the other cheek.

Just to ditto your point.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

Its confirmed i can find it but it would be to long but it was is exact words i see...i am 100% sure 

No, Jesus never threatened anyone with violence.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

He said he would send is sword in revange...

Where?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I remember that and turn the other cheek.

Just to ditto your point.

People tend to get really confused about what Jesus said and what people said about Jesus.  The perfect example was where alchopwin "or whatever his name was" attributed a writing of John to the words of Jesus when it's clear he was not quoting Jesus.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

We have all wanted to kick a morons head in at various points in our life.

But upon reflection we all know the moron creates problems constantly for themselves in their relationships. So instead of getting mad at them laugh at them. And thank God you arent them. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Where?

Jesus telling the disciples that He came not to bring peace to the world, but a sword.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

Jesus telling the disciples that He came not to bring peace to the world, but a sword.

In Luke it's said this way:

Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but division.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

snip

you got sniped why ?

18 minutes ago, OverSword said:

In Luke it's said this way:

Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but division.

how mark or pierre says it...

15 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

you got sniped why ?

No, I did that. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

Why is there any reason :D

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Anything else to say about the sword ...

I have a confesion i am the sword maybe ...