Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

India's Chandrayaan-2 debris found by Nasa

Still Waters

Nasa says one of its satellites has found the debris of India's Moon rover which crashed on the lunar surface in September.

The space agency released a picture showing the site of the rover's impact and the "associated debris field".

Nasa has credited an Indian engineer, Shanmuga Subramanian, with helping locate the site of the debris.

Mr Subramanian examined a Nasa picture and located the first debris about 750m north-west of the crash site.

Chandrayaan-2 was due to touch down at the lunar South Pole on 7 September, over a month after it first took off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-50639933

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/dec/03/indias-crashed-vikram-moon-lander-spotted-on-lunar-surface

Previous related thread:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/327412-september-moon-landing-for-chandrayaan-2/?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• The title was changed to India's Chandrayaan-2 debris found by Nasa

Worrying about a space program should be the last concern for the most polluted country in the world with a enormous poverty level. :huh:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Piney said:

Worrying about a space program should be the last concern for the most polluted country in the world with a enormous poverty level.

Whe human live a fraction of earth does why trying to colonise other planet...?

Edited by The Eternal Flame
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Piney said:

Worrying about a space program should be the last concern for the most polluted country in the world with a enormous poverty level. :huh:

Not sure it’s just India that should have the finger pointed at in that regard.

But I would suggest that if space science gets us to a point where resource exploitation is possible off world, that would go a ways to reducing pressure on the environment.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Grey Area said:

Not sure it’s just India that should have the finger pointed at in that regard.

But I would suggest that if space science gets us to a point where resource exploitation is possible off world, that would go a ways to reducing pressure on the environment.

One of their largest resources is lumber. :lol:

Their greatest pressure on the environment is their complete lack of pollution control including wastewater. Over half the country doesn't even have a sewer disposal system. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Piney said:

You have interesting reply, do you tink an ideal of yourself would reply more :yes:

4 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

You have interesting reply, do you tink an ideal of yourself would reply more :yes:

I'm lost.......and I've forgotten my Canadien 30 years ago.....

What do you mean? 

11 hours ago, Piney said:

And coffee can help reply more. :w00t:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I'm lost.......and I've forgotten my Canadien 30 years ago.....

What do you mean? 

Sorry i am haunted by ideal ?

Just now, The Eternal Flame said:

Sorry i am haunted by ideal ?

Errrmmm..... what idea? 

2 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

And coffee can help reply more. :w00t:

It's past my bed time now. :o

• Like 1

Just now, Piney said:

Errrmmm..... what idea? 

You are at 788 popular contributor of the week at first place i never saw a number that hiii do you know exactly wath it is a popular contributor....??? 

A space program is for status too.  For a high tech country, it is an advertisement of technological power.

It is not exactly cutting edge now, but still an achievement to put a rover on the moon in one piece.  Keeping up with China maybe?

There may not be much tech that can come out of that program to be applied to pollution and water management, but if it makes Indians proud and encourages more of them to be scientists and engineers, that might be a benefit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

Errrmmm..... what idea? 

The domino effect of you changing profile image add effect on me... :o 

I changed my profile picture and i like it ...

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

You are at 788 popular contributor of the week at first place i never saw a number that hiii do you know exactly wath it is a popular contributor....??? 

It's called the Leader Board. I never look at the thing. :lol:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

It is not exactly cutting edge now, but still an achievement to put a rover on the moon in one piece.  Keeping up with China maybe?

People want to grab the resources there.

It kind of reminds me of the Time Machine movie from 2002 where we broke the moon. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

The domino effect of you changing profile image add effect on me... :o 

I do it frequently. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Piney said:

People want to grab the resources there.

It kind of reminds me of the Time Machine movie from 2002 where we broke the moon. 

Its colonization and the gold rush all over again.  Same with Mars and the Moon.  Gold fever.  Go out to the frontier, find a big gold nugget or its equivalent and be set for life.  For a mining company, even better, nobody to see or care if you poison the surface. 

Also, it somewhat assuages the guilt if you can tell your kids, "Sure, we depleted and polluted the earth, but you can go out to the moon, or Mars, or the asteroids and do the same thing,  Plenty of opportunity."

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Its colonization and the gold rush all over again.  Same with Mars and the Moon.  Gold fever.  Go out to the frontier, find a big gold nugget or its equivalent and be set for life.  For a mining company, even better, nobody to see or care if you poison the surface. 

Most of the gold and platinum on this planet migrated to the core during it's formation but the Moon isn't that big and I bet there is some serious deposits in those lava caves. There would also be uranium in those quartz deposits along with diamonds in the carbon deposits and larger craters.

In Siberia there was a huge crater you can only explore if your a geologist and accompanied by Russian soldiers. Then you are shaken down, because of the diamond deposits. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 5:30 PM, Piney said:

What an incredibly narrow-minded and unintelligent post.

Attitudes like this demonstrate an enormous ignorance of what space programmes can achieve and of basic economics.

The way poor countries become rich countries is by progress. In a technological era progress for a nation means developing better technology and better education. The Indian space programme is not an obstacle to reducing poverty levels, it is part of the solution.

India has had a space programme for fifty years. During that time it has become one of the fastest growing economies in the world and has seen a sharp decline in poverty.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

The way poor countries

Who said they were poor? They have a very bad class gap is what they have. Your either wealthy- white collar or starving.

They have to fix this. Then worry about the moon. 

41 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

During that time it has become one of the fastest growing economies in the world

At the expense of their own environment and quality of life for the lower class.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

What an incredibly narrow-minded and unintelligent post.

Your always looking for a excuse to bite my head off.:rolleyes:

• Like 1