Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Remembering the Bhopal Disaster 35yrs on

Eldorado

"Today marks the 35th anniversary of Bhopal Gas Tragedy—the world’s worst industrial disaster that claimed thousands of lives on the night of December 2, 1984.

"The disaster took place in a pesticide production plant, named the Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL). On the night of December 2-3, 1984, water entered the tank no. 610 containing 42 tons of Methyl Isocyanate (MIC), resulting in a runaway chemical reaction that vented highly-toxic MIC gas into the atmosphere."

Full article at the Weather dot com: https://weather.com/en-IN/india/news/news/2019-12-02-national-pollution-control-day-bhopal-gas-tragedy-35

"On the 35th anniversary of Bhopal Gas Tragedy on Tuesday, organizations working for the cause of the victims and survivors of the 1984 industrial disaster carried out protest marches in the Old Bhopal area here, where the Union Carbide factory now lies defunct.

"Placards bearing “No More Bhopal,” were carried by the protesters during the march which was carried out from the Bharat Talkies to the abandoned Union Carbide factory premises. "

Full article at the New Indian Express: https://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/2019/dec/04/bhopal-prays-and-protests-on-35th-anniversary-of-1984-union-carbide-gas-leak-tragedy-2071022.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was just thinking about this the other day as an example of malfeasance that got away light with it due to being in a more helpless country. Just grievous.

Thanks for posting this.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If I remember correctly when this disaster was first being reported they said a massive gas bubble of CO2 erupted from beneath a nearby lake and killed everyone.  

• Like 1

Hang on ... this really happened? I was reading a fiction story that used it as a cornerstone event, I had no idea it really happened! (I was 2 in 1984).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Hang on ... this really happened? I was reading a fiction story that used it as a cornerstone event, I had no idea it really happened! (I was 2 in 1984).

Was that a Clive Cussler story?

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

Was that a Clive Cussler story?

Star Trek, actually.

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2019 at 1:09 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I was talking about this to one of my kids a month or so ago.. forgotten where and when it was.. I just remember the vids on the news about it.. and our social studies classes were filled with for a month or so after it happend