Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Any Sci-Fi Book recommendations?

Orphalesion

So it's like this. I like reading. I like science fiction....but in all my years I haven't found a Science Fiction book I really loved.

Thing is I'm not really into the Sci-Fi classics. Your Herbert, your Asimov, your Heinlein. It's not for me.
The closest thing I came to liking written sci-fi was "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and "Neuromancer"(and with Neuromancer it was 100% the world building and writing style, I didn't really care for the bulk of the characters or plot)

I'm kinda on the lookout for some Sci-Fi stories that are a bit "warmer" than Asimov or Heinlein. A bit more romantic (in the literary genre sense, I don't necessarily mean love stories) A little bit more character-focused?
And I guess also a bit more modern.

So any body know some good, sci-fi with interesting characters and character-driven stories?

Thanks!

• Like 3

Maybe a time travel machine related science fiction book?

Have you read anything by Ann McCaffrey or Zenna Henderson?  I love the stories and they are sci-fi.  Also, you might like Marrion Zimmer Bradley.

I also like some urban fantasy like Jim Butcher's Dresden series.  Robin Hobb is good too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am a fan of the Honor Harrington Series, by David Weber, very much character driven, with lots of action as well... Of course with 14 or so books it's pretty easy to develop characters...

My Sci-Fi favorites are H. Beam Piper's works, Harry Turtledoves many works and Michael McCollum's Antares trilogy...

• Like 5

Just now, Taun said:

I am a fan of the Honor Harrington Series, by David Weber, very much character driven, with lots of action as well... Of course with 14 or so books it's pretty easy to develop characters...

My Sci-Fi favorites are H. Beam Piper's works, Harry Turtledoves many works and Michael McCollum's Antares trilogy...

I have those on my list of favorites too, except I have not read Michael McCollum, I will have to look him up.  Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd recommend Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines quadrilogy and Larklight trilogy. They're somewhat aimed at younger audiences, but I enjoyed them nonetheless. They strike a good balance between character-driven stories and interesting world-building.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 4

The original Dune series was my favorite. I hated Brian's later trash. Then Asimov, Heinlein, Ellison in that order......I'm boring that way. 

• Like 4

Anything by Robert Heinlein. Meaning anything that he wrote, not "anything". :)

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Piney said:

The original Dune series was my favorite. I hated Brian's later trash. Then Asimov, Heinlein, Ellison in that order......I'm boring that way. 

The sandworms of dune can you give us more information on the series Piney... ;)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Eternal Flame said:

The sandworms of dune can you give us more information on the series Piney... ;)

I had to read it first to hate it. ;)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I had to read it first to hate it. ;)

There is a movie based on this ?

I tink i saw it it was very good !

Its always pleasant reading a book !

2 hours ago, Piney said:

Those who control the spice control the universe.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Eternal Flame said:

There is a movie based on this ?

Scyfi Channel did a mini series on 'Dune' and 'Children of Dune'. The budget wasn't that great but they got the stories straight and there was some good acting.

As for the 1984 Dino De Laurentiis disaster with that wooden weirdo Kyle MacLachlan. It was the biggest piece of poo of the decade. They twisted the story too much.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Piney said:

Scyfi Channel did a mini series on 'Dune' and 'Children of Dune'. The budget wasn't that great but they got the stories straight and there was some good acting.

I will need pop-corn :yes:

Edited by The Eternal Flame
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

I will need pop-corn :yes:

I usually eat dry Cheerios with my movies. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

As for the 1984 Dino De Laurentiis disaster with that wooden weirdo Kyle MacLachlan. It was the biggest piece of poo of the decade. They twisted the story too much.

Defending the casting of Everett McGill, Freddie Jones, Sting and Patrick Stewart in that film is the hill upon which I will die. And the score is Devine. 

the rest of the cast though? Yeah, nah. 

what they did to the Baron? Special place in Hell for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

I usually eat dry Cheerios with my movies. :yes:

Now, is that Cheerios as in the breakfast cereal or Cheerios as in the small hot dog “Weiner”?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Now, is that Cheerios as in the breakfast cereal or Cheerios as in the small hot dog “Weiner”?

The breakfast cereal. 

• Like 2

Defending the casting of Everett McGill, Freddie Jones, Sting and Patrick Stewart in that film is the hill upon which I will die.

Sting as Feyd......meh...... and Patrick Stewart wasn't broad and ugly enough to be Gurney Halleck.  But I like all his work. 

And the score is Devine. 

Well, you can't knock Toto. :tu:

• Like 2

I recommend Iain M. Banks' Culture books (and some that aren't specifically set in the Culture). Very humourous, particularly the sentient ships.

• Like 6

I highly recommend the Three-Body Trilogy (The Three-Body Problem/The Dark Forest/Death´s End) by Cixin Liu.

• Like 2

I have a few recommendations for the OP.  I think I understand what you mean when you say warmer than Asimov.

First, try a Sci-Fi publication.  I still read these when I can.  Analog Science Fiction & Fact comes to mind.  This is more contemporary, and has a blend of sci-fi.  You might find a new favorite sub-genre or author.  https://www.analogsf.com/

Second recommendation is an old paperback: Pawn to Infinity.  This is a collection of chess related sci-fi short stories.  Much, much warmer than Asimov.  Again, you might find an author that you like.  And if you play chess, bonus !  I think it is out of print, but easy to find second hand, which is good for the environment.  

Finally, I am a big believer in trading old paperback books.  Go to eBay or Craig's List and you can pick up a large collection of pre-read books for very little money.  Read a few, then pass them on.  Books aren't quite dead yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

One of my favorites for fantasy is Terry Pratchet.  The phrases he uses will stop you short and have you laughing for days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

One of my favorites for fantasy is Terry Pratchet.  The phrases he uses will stop you short and have you laughing for days.

The 'Discworld' series is awesome! :yes:

• Like 3