Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Navy officer saw '2-mile-wide UFO' over base

UM-Bot

Strange tale indeed. The first thing I noticed was that no year was given. The person was in the Navy for 14 years. That means he started in 2005. Oddly enough, the articles online do state when he was on the Nimitz which has nothing at all to do with this tale.

Missing info:

• time of day of the sighting
  • direction of the sighting
  • year
  • name of the base
  • elevation
  • names of other witnesses

Frankly, I'm not buying the story that something 2 miles in diameter was not mentioned till now.

All of the stories say "Virginia Beach military base". There are several smaller places south of Virginia Beach. 

This comment makes no sense: “The military would know – there’s something there, it landed outside the base behind the trees.”

If something 2 miles across landed, then where did it land? I invited everyone to look at online maps to see that there are no places you can hide something 2 miles across and not have it seen by many people.

This story makes no sense to me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sooooooooooo..... basically, he saw a cloud ? 

In the Sky. 

Most peculiar ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

What this person describes sounds very much like an optical migraine.

https://www.healthline.com/health/causes-of-ocular-migraines

During an ocular migraine, or migraine with aura, you may see flashing or shimmering lights, zigzagging lines, or stars. Some people describe psychedelic images. It may also cause blind spots in your field of vision. Of people who report having migraines, one out of every five experiences this aura.

Look at what the person states:

It was shimmering in the sky, two miles in diameter.

He dismissed suggestions the mystery object could be gas or a cloud, claiming it “had defined attributes”.

“If you could imagine a trash bag that’s two miles in diameter floating, translucent.

“It was doing that – I could see parts of it but at the same time parts of it were gone.

• Like 6

The person also reports seeing a plane beforehand.

And it was even more bizarre given that the group of pilots had spotted another strange aircraft flying over the base moments before.

I think that causes the priming for this person. He is now primed to interpret what he does not understand as something mysterious.

He mentions symptoms of an ocular migraine: shimmering, hard to define, you can see it and not see it.  His interpretation is a real object.

• Like 1

curious as to how difficult it would be to estimate a size of 2 miles on an object.....must be quite tricky

just trying to visualise looking up at something 2 miles long

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, quillius said:

curious as to how difficult it would be to estimate a size of 2 miles on an object.....must be quite tricky

just trying to visualise looking up at something 2 miles long

I was thinking the same thing. I mean, even if it was half a mile long (which I seriously doubt) then how can you gauge that size in the air? We're just not used to seeing anything bigger than a jumbo jet, or on very rare occasions a blimp in the air, so when talking scales of two miles there's no way you could estimate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was just weather modification in action... No but i am curious, it says he could see parts of it... Like what kind of parts? And then it landed outside the base behind the trees? And then what happened? Nothing 2 miles across lands neatly behind some trees... It should have crushed many trees.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 2

If something 2 miles wide landed outside the base I'd think more people would have seen it.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

Lee Adams, who once served aboard the USS Nimitz, recalls witnessing a huge object over a base in Virginia.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/332709/navy-officer-saw-two-mile-wide-ufo-over-base

I personally suspect that NATO has a large classified water/air/spaceship.

I think they were constructed to reduce the fuel costs of entering into orbit. It simply floats up to the edge of space at 100,000ft before engaging its engines to enter into orbit. I also think they account for accounts of similarly large vessels also exiting the ocean and flying off.

It is in affect an airship used as a submarine, an airship, and as a method to get into orbit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, cathya said:

If something 2 miles wide landed outside the base I'd think more people would have seen it.  

A 2 mile wide airship would create the lift necessary to transport something weighing several 1000 tonnes into orbit.

31 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I think they were constructed to reduce the fuel costs of entering into orbit. It simply floats up to the edge of space at 100,000ft before engaging its engines to enter into orbit. I also think they account for accounts of similarly large vessels also exiting the ocean and flying off.

It is in affect an airship used as a submarine, an airship, and as a method to get into orbit.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

The mechanisms for efficient transport in water, air, and space are different.

Why would anyone give a submarine escape velocity capabilities?

Do you realize that at 100,000 feet the pull of gravity is nearly the same as at the surface of the Earth?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity

If we take a look at that page we see the formula  where r changes from 6378 to 6398. That's not much of a change.

The escape velocity at 20 miles up is 99.8% of the escape velocity at the surface.

Edited by stereologist
add calculation at bottom
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Ah...we're living in a Marvel movie now I guess.

Image result for Shield airship

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

A 2 mile wide airship would create the lift necessary to transport something weighing several 1000 tonnes into orbit.

A container ship full of skeptics would weigh about that.

• Haha 3

An encounter so extraordinary and you didn’t think of grabbing your phone and snapping a few pics?  2 mile long floating jelly fish?  Hmmmmm...yeeeah.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stereologist said:

Strange tale indeed. The first thing I noticed was that no year was given. The person was in the Navy for 14 years. That means he started in 2005. Oddly enough, the articles online do state when he was on the Nimitz which has nothing at all to do with this tale.

Missing info:

• time of day of the sighting
  • direction of the sighting
  • year
  • name of the base
  • elevation
  • names of other witnesses

Frankly, I'm not buying the story that something 2 miles in diameter was not mentioned till now.

All of the stories say "Virginia Beach military base". There are several smaller places south of Virginia Beach. 

This comment makes no sense: “The military would know – there’s something there, it landed outside the base behind the trees.”

If something 2 miles across landed, then where did it land? I invited everyone to look at online maps to see that there are no places you can hide something 2 miles across and not have it seen by many people.

This story makes no sense to me.

What a surprise. Stereo’s not buying the story. 

14 hours ago, stereologist said:

What this person describes sounds very much like an optical migraine.

https://www.healthline.com/health/causes-of-ocular-migraines

Look at what the person states:

I suffer from ocular migraines more than several times a month. I was surprised that you mentioned this. His statements can coincide with the migraine precursor.  Though, if he'd moved his eyes or focused on anything other than that one spot he would have known it was him. Those auras follow your field of vision and even if you close your eyes you still see them. A great analogy though.  They roughly last about 40 minutes for me, I can't say that for others though. A first time experience with it, maybe. But doubtful. IMO

• Like 2

I've seen small towns, or just big farms, that light up the clouds in near circles. If the base was highly lit up, and there was a high fog/low cloud it might fit his description. He perhaps said it was not a cloud because it was all lit up on the underside.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

What a surprise. Stereo’s not buying the story. 

Do you? Do you seriously think this is something that happened?

I don't. This is a big area with pubic beaches meaning lots of people outdoors. Yet, only one report over a decade later.

How did the tens of thousands of people on the nearby beach miss something two miles across?

If you are not familiar with Virginia Beach then you might want to look at this:

temp_a0db84cb-ba29-497b-ab52-aced9831d3e4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Antnanna said:

I suffer from ocular migraines more than several times a month. I was surprised that you mentioned this. His statements can coincide with the migraine precursor.  Though, if he'd moved his eyes or focused on anything other than that one spot he would have known it was him. Those auras follow your field of vision and even if you close your eyes you still see them. A great analogy though.  They roughly last about 40 minutes for me, I can't say that for others though. A first time experience with it, maybe. But doubtful. IMO

I get them about once a year or so and they do what you state. Mine last about 10 minutes. What struck me was the part of seeing and not seeing. I get that. It is odd in that there are no holes or dark areas in my vision, but if someone walks in front of me they disappear for a short while and then reappear.

My idea  is that this is something this person saw and only they saw it. Maybe they realized it was happening and stared skyward. My shimmering effect changes size and also moves across my field of view. If they "tracked" it then it might appear to have moved across the sky.

As you well know I am just making a "theory", a wild eyed guess with no supporting evidence, just speculation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like he saw a lenticular cloud to me - though not sure if they are capable of forming in the area.  

On 12/5/2019 at 11:34 AM, Robotic Jew said:

Ah...we're living in a Marvel movie now I guess.

Image result for Shield airship

Dr. Who's nemeisis the Master also had a flying air craft carrier.  So maybe it isn't so far fetched.  :P

• Haha 2