Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nearly 700,000 will lose food stamps

DieChecker

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

How sad. Trump gives the wealthy an extra 2 trillion and takes the food stamps off the poor and unfortunate. 

For me it's not sad, if the people aren't mentally ill or physically disabled they should get a job and work like the rest of us do. The system is broken there is way too much fraud in this system. For those who are ill or unable to work this is what the system use to be about, but not anymore it's become a life style for to many people.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I hope you’re also against people doing whatever it takes to scratch a living also. The same people celebrating The food stamp program being cut are also going to be the same ones looking over their shoulders.

I grew up in a very poor family, but my parents always keep us fed so I am very aware of just scratching by. There are ways out of bad situations, if people are willing to except them. I got out by joining the military, I made a good living for my family and a very decent retirement. 

So please tell me why thinking the program is broken would people be looking over their shoulders, I really don't understand please explain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

I am against food stamps for anyone who isn't disabled and can't work. The program is a sham and it has never served its intended purpose which was to help those in need, not give people an excuse not to work. It's a fact that many people sell their food stamps to buy food items they can't buy with them, or for just the money. I beleive that anyone not disabled should be give a period of time to get job or lose their food stamps.

i know what I am saying most likely will not sit well with some forum members, but I am tired of my tax dollars being spent to fund programs that are clearly broken, and this program is beyond help in it's current form.

JIMO

"Its a fact that many people sell their food stamps to buy food items they can't buy with them". That's completely bogus. (At least in America) For example a single individual gets 150$ a month added to electronic benefits card. You can walk into a Walmart and basically purchase ANY food item candy/soda/chips (including brand name food items) as long as it's not a pre made/packaged hot meal from grocery. Furthmore someone can be disabled (have disability reject them numerous times) before getting approved. Its a process..that's why many hire law firms to resubmit (help gather additional info for claims). Where exactly are you getting your information from?

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bed of chaos said:

"Its a fact that many people sell their food stamps to buy food items they can't buy with them". That's completely bogus. (At least in America) For example a single individual gets 150$ a month added to electronic benefits card. You can walk into a Walmart and basically purchase ANY food item candy/soda/chips (including brand name food items) as long as it's not a pre made/packaged hot meal from grocery. Furthmore someone can be disabled (have disability reject them numerous times) before getting approved. Its a process..that's why many hire law firms to resubmit (help gather additional info for claims). Where exactly are you getting your information from?

If some one is not getting denied disability from the government their doctor isn't doing his job. How a doctor writes up some ones disability is the key to it being accepted or rejected. If a state refuses to accept a doctors prognosis of either temporary or permanent disability it's time to get a lawyer and sue the state

As far as food stamps are concerned people also trade or sell their food stamps. I had a brother who received food stamps, and he would just sell his card every month at a discount. It's a shame but most places don't ask for ID when people use their food stamp cards. Like I said the system is broke, and far to many Americans make a living on these systems because food stamps is just a gateway to programs.

You asked me where my information comes from, well I have the same question for you.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

If some one is not getting denied disability from the government their doctor isn't doing his job. How a doctor writes up some ones disability is the key to it being accepted or rejected. If a state refuses to accept a doctors prognosis of either temporary or permanent disability it's time to get a lawyer and sue the state

As far as food stamps are concerned people also trade or sell their food stamps. I had a brother who received food stamps, and he would just sell his card every month at a discount. It's a shame but most places don't ask for ID when people use their food stamp cards. Like I said the system is broke, and far to many Americans make a living on these systems because food stamps is just a gateway to programs.

You asked me where my information comes from, well I have the same question for you.

Manwon you said "it's a fact" people sell their food stamps to buy other food..which is a complete lie! Some do abuse the system however I've never heard that once (even as intensive case manager) You want a second chance to shine? Please enlighten me.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Where does my information come from? Call me out friend..i dare you. I've previously posted my work history on this site (two decades in social services, healthcare). Along with specific titles of counseling positions. I've worked numerous counseling centers throughout northeast Pennsylvania. Please do look it up and think carefully before you answer. 

14 minutes ago, Bed of chaos said:

Manwon you said "it's a fact" people sell their food stamps to buy other food..which is a complete lie! Some do abuse the system however I've never heard that once (even as intensive case manager) You want a second chance to shine? Please enlighten me.

I must have mispoken people do sell their food stamps at a discount to get cash for other things that is a fact. Just because you don't beleive people abuse the system which may be correct in a perfect world, it does happen in this world. I had a brother who use to sell his food stamps, he would let other people use the balance on his card he explained that many people he knew did it. You see like he explained to me, the people at cash registers in most cases don't check ID.  I had no idea until he explained the scam to me, and beleive me I was a little shocked. But in the end I believed him, I had no reason not to.Then I heard the same thing from other people who had food stamps, and they confirmed it.

Now I have been polite to you, but I don't appreciate being told I am telling lies.

Now I have to ask what does being an intensive case manager mean?

I hope I was more clear.

24 minutes ago, Bed of chaos said:

Where does my information come from? Call me out friend..i dare you. I've previously posted my work history on this site (two decades in social services, healthcare). Along with specific titles of counseling positions. I've worked numerous counseling centers throughout northeast Pennsylvania. Please do look it up and think carefully before you answer. 

I don't care what you have done, I think your a rude person who thinks they know everything. But the fact is if you think people aren't gaming the system your either blind or out of touch with the real world.

Oh by the way I most likely have an education equal to yours, but I don't use it to impress or to try and discourage a conversation like you doing here. 

So please think carefully before you answer.

Edited by Manwon Lender

10 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I don't care what you have done, I think your a rude person who thinks they know everything. But the fact is if you think people aren't gaming the system your either blind or out of touch with the real world.

Oh by the way I most likely have an education equal to yours, but I don't use it to impress or to try and discourage a conversation like you doing here. 

You asked where my information came from. I've previously stated my career was nothing glamorous. You said you misspoke. Let's leave it at that. If curious about job I'll private message you everything (or try to summarize right now).

Edited by Bed of chaos

1 minute ago, Bed of chaos said:

You asked where my information came from. I've previously stated my career was nothing glamorous. You said you misspoke. Let's leave it at that. If curious about job I'll private message you everything (or try to summarize here).

It would be fine to private message me, but I am not curious about your jobs I have no reason to doubt what you have said.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

The same people celebrating The food stamp program being cut are also going to be the same ones looking over their shoulders.

I don't think anyone is celebrating the cutbacks to the program, like yea, let's starve the poor people.  But people do recognize that improvements are necessary.  Every benefit going to someone who doesn't need it or who is gaming the system lessens the ability to help the truly needy.  As the economy improves and jobs go begging for workers there is no reason for the government to be subsidizing people who are of sound mind and body who simply refuse to work because they can.  We all may need help from time to time but benefit programs are designed with revolving doors.  They were never meant for people to move in and take up residence.  If help is not temporary for people whose trouble is temporary it encourages laziness.  Sometimes people need a push for their own good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

For me it's not sad, if the people aren't mentally ill or physically disabled they should get a job and work like the rest of us do. The system is broken there is way too much fraud in this system. For those who are ill or unable to work this is what the system use to be about, but not anymore it's become a life style for to many people.

you see the problem with what you think about those on food stamps is your definition of ill.

7 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I grew up in a very poor family, but my parents always keep us fed so I am very aware of just scratching by. There are ways out of bad situations, if people are willing to except them. I got out by joining the military, I made a good living for my family and a very decent retirement. 

So please tell me why thinking the program is broken would people be looking over their shoulders, I really don't understand please explain.

I think you understand just fine when i say that people without basic living essentials like food and shelter really don't have much to lose. I wonder if anyone has ever made a connection between poverty and crime.  

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

I wonder if anyone has ever made a connection between poverty and crime.  

That connection is made all the time.  I don't believe it.  People don't steal because they're poor, they steal because they're thieves.  Assuming otherwise is an insult to all the honest poor people.  I would even go so far as to say that there is a reverse correlation, that crime causes poverty.  Having an inclination towards crime detracts one from legitimate pursuits.  Having a criminal record prevents getting into schools and jobs.  One crime can often lead to a life of poverty, thereby perpetuating the dependence on criminal activity to survive.  I've been poor, I still am, but I've never stolen or committed other crimes.  There's an old fashioned concept called living within your means.  There is so much help for poor people that no one ever needs to use that as an excuse for bad behavior.  In the summer we give them fans and air conditioners.  In the winter we give them coats and HEAP.  All year long there is rent and food assistance.  We give them school supplies and free lunches.  We even give the addicts free needles.  I'd be surprised if most of the criminals using poverty as an excuse are stealing necessities.  No one ever has to shoot someone because they're poor, but it's in the poor neighborhoods that it happens most.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Big Jim said:

If you can do it my hat's off to you, but a little compassion and understanding for those not as fortunate would look good on you.

I've from the start said I support aid to those who need it. I'm getting tired of people assuming I just hate poor people. That's far from the truth.

This is about states that bypass the federal law. To give people who have no disability and no children, and are not in high unemployment areas, who are between 18 and 49, unlimited access to food stamps. When everyone else gets only 3 months out of 36. These people can retain those food stamps by just working 1/2 time. Since they were presumably not working at all before, how is that ruinous? 

After 2 or 3 weeks of payments I got a letter from the state.  They require you to use up all retirement accounts before qualifying for unemployment.  So they divided my weekly unemployment amount into what I had in my account and suspended unemployment until the resulting number of weeks had passed.

If you dont mind answering, what state is that? I've never heard of such a thing here on the west coast.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I wonder about people who think that a person who gets $3600 a year in Food Stamps with which to feed his family is a freeloader, yet have no problem with Exxon getting several billion dollars a year for essentially doing nothing.

Royal Dutch Shell:  $1.79 billion in subsidies (They're 25th on the list.)

Boeing:  $14.9 billion in subsidies

Intel:  $6 billion in subsidies

Alcoa:  $5.9 billion in subsidies

Foxxcom Technology:  $4.8 billion in subsidies

Here's the list of the top 100 freeloading companies:  https://subsidytracker.goodjobsfirst.org/top-100-parents?fbclid=IwAR0GEDJkX3jrJgCcUHlAABQdthaGcY6LLkRd0LpuB4VYJKCI6Agl-dCH2OQ

I wouldn't necessarily eliminate ALL subsidies.  Some of them support important work.  But I wouldn't mind sharply reducing them.

Doug

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

How sad. Trump gives the wealthy an extra 2 trillion and takes the food stamps off the poor and unfortunate. 

Yeah, he gets the blame and the credit just like all our presidents, but congress is the culprit and the senate is culpable as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yeah, he gets the blame and the credit just like all our presidents, but congress is the culprit and the senate is culpable as well.

The tRUMP tax "cut" raised my taxes by about $2600 a year.  Reagan's tax cut raised my taxes by only $25 in comparison - never believe a Republican who says he's going to get you a tax cut.

The tax bill was passed by a Republican House and a Republican Senate.  It was signed by Donald tRUMP.  None of them had to do this.  It was something they WANTED to do.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I've from the start said I support aid to those who need it. I'm getting tired of people assuming I just hate poor people. That's far from the truth.

This is about states that bypass the federal law. To give people who have no disability and no children, and are not in high unemployment areas, who are between 18 and 49, unlimited access to food stamps. When everyone else gets only 3 months out of 36. These people can retain those food stamps by just working 1/2 time. Since they were presumably not working at all before, how is that ruinous? 

If you dont mind answering, what state is that? I've never heard of such a thing here on the west coast.

I sure don't assume you hate poor people, but statements like "but did no one tell them to save, or at least not count on only SSI?" seem to show a lack of understanding that not all people's lives follow a straight trajectory with savings accumulating steadily from youth to retirement.  If you notice, I never said the cuts were ruinous.  In fact I supported and defended them in several of my posts.  I think you and I are generally on the same page but we interpret certain passages differently.

The state in question was Ohio, circa 2006-7.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2019 at 7:18 PM, DieChecker said:

So you believe there should be regulations on companies limiting what the rich can earn, and what they can own? Because how else will the inequalities be handled?

Myself, I saw my taxes go down, and I liked it. 

Erm.. tax them, act against these multinationals using taxhavens? Like I said, even ignoring the complete financial meltdown of 2008 because of institutionalised fraudulent practices with unimaginable impact on the US, as well as the world.. The numbers were talking about here (lost tax revenue by evading corporations) makes the impact of individual fraud of regular joe look like a joke.

15 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Id rather starve than endanger my life and limbs being forced to engage/kill other poor people whos nation I am invading in a desert on the other side of the globe, based on a deceitful humanitarian narrative - which couldnt be interpreted as 'defending or being in the interest of my nation' by any measure.

..And for a lot of poor American families, the army is indeed the only way out. Which is a very, very sad state of affairs, especially for a nation that prides itsself as being 'the light of the world'. Irony is, the 'commanders in chief' leading the US into these deceitful wars who are not in the interests of the American People often didnt serve a day in their lives, let alone in a war.. like a true class society. Crazy sh*

Thats not to say I dont respect your service, this is just my opinion.

Edited by Phaeton80
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DieChecker said:

To give people who have no disability and no children, and are not in high unemployment areas, who are between 18 and 49, unlimited access to food stamps. When everyone else gets only 3 months out of 36. These people can retain those food stamps by just working 1/2 time. Since they were presumably not working at all before, how is that ruinous? 

People who have a severe disability are often denied help.  In order to get a SS Disability you have to hire a lawyer and sue the Federal Government.  Technically, it's not a trial, but there are still many hearings and appeals.  The result is a goldmine for lawyers who get 25% of the amount the disabled would have received had they not had to sue.  This is a welfare program for lawyers.

Doug

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

People who have a severe disability are often denied help.  In order to get a SS Disability you have to hire a lawyer and sue the Federal Government.  Technically, it's not a trial, but there are still many hearings and appeals.  The result is a goldmine for lawyers who get 25% of the amount the disabled would have received had they not had to sue.  This is a welfare program for lawyers.

Doug

From my own experience and what I've heard from others it is routine to be denied twice and it is only then that you are entitled to file an appeal.  I don't know about "many", in my case it was only one hearing and the decision would have been final either way.  The lawyer gets 25% of the amount of back pay a person has coming but no claim on future amounts.  Since it's less than the typical 1/3 they usually get and it's capped at a certain amount, it's not too bad as lawyer fees go.  But the whole process which usually takes about 2 years is an employment program for government paper pushers.  My experience also dissuaded me from the idea that people can fake it and claim disability with bogus aches and pains.  I had a lawyer and they had a lawyer.  I had records from my doctor and they required me to go to their doctors.  Many Xrays were required and provided.  They even had an occupational consultant to determine if there was anything I could possibly do.  Presiding over all of it is a Federal judge.  I left with the impression that if you could fake your way through all of that you probably deserve it anyway.

Edited by Big Jim
oops
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Big Jim said:

From my own experience and what I've heard from others it is routine to be denied twice and it is only then that you are entitled to file an appeal.  I don't know about "many", in my case it was only one hearing and the decision would have been final either way.  The lawyer gets 25% of the amount of back pay a person has coming but no claim on future amounts.  Since it's less than the typical 1/3 they usually get and it's capped at a certain amount, it's not too bad as lawyer fees go.  But the whole process which usually takes about 2 years is an employment program for government paper pushers.  My experience also dissuaded me from the idea that people can fake it and claim disability with bogus aches and pains.  I had a lawyer and they had a lawyer.  I had records from my doctor and they required me to go to their doctors.  Many Xrays were required and provided.  They even had an occupational consultant to determine if there was anything I could possibly do.  Presiding over all of it is a Federal judge.  I left with the impression that if you could fake your way through all of that you probably deserve it anyway.

That's about the way I see it, too.

Doug

• Thanks 1