Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Jesus Exist?

zep73

Seriously, I've barely read more than a few paragraphs of the Urantia Book and I'm already repeatedly palming my own forehead!

Anyone who accepts this text as remotely plausible probably also thinks that Green Eggs and Ham is non-fiction.

Whoever the 20th century individuals were who penned this atrocity were attempting to transform fiction into fact.

I went straight to Paper 127 which claims to detail Jesus' adolescence, of which there is no credible or reliable source (like the rest of this weird-ass book).

Just read a snippet with me:

127:1.1 (1395.5) The incarnated Son passed through infancy and experienced an uneventful childhood. Then he emerged from that testing and trying transition stage between childhood and young manhood—he became the adolescent Jesus.

127:1.2 (1395.6) This year he attained his full physical growth. He was a virile and comely youth. He became increasingly sober and serious, but he was kind and sympathetic. His eye was kind but searching; his smile was always engaging and reassuring. His voice was musical but authoritative; his greeting cordial but unaffected. Always, even in the most commonplace of contacts, there seemed to be in evidence the touch of a twofold nature, the human and the divine. Ever he displayed this combination of the sympathizing friend and the authoritative teacher. And these personality traits began early to become manifest, even in these adolescent years.

127:1.3 (1395.7) This physically strong and robust youth also acquired the full growth of his human intellect, not the full experience of human thinking but the fullness of capacity for such intellectual development. He possessed a healthy and well-proportioned body, a keen and analytical mind, a kind and sympathetic disposition, a somewhat fluctuating but aggressive temperament, all of which were becoming organized into a strong, striking, and attractive personality.

Where are the sources or basis for these poetic, romanticised, descriptive and detailed claims?!

Edited by jypsijemini
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, jypsijemini said:

And why is this book being used as supplementary evidence for the BIble?

There are several threads where I tore all the racism, false science, false history, and lies up and he still insists it's "fact accurate"

Don't even argue Gypsy. He's trying to start a following and is too dense to realize nobody is having any. 

Edited by Piney
Urantia is Dreck
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Well, over two thousand years of a religion's existence versus a couple of hundred years of scattered scholastic investigation and speculative determination it's cornerstone of worship did not exist.

And yet, for how many centuries did the majority of the world's inhabitants believe and insist the world was flat? :hmm:

The indigenous Australians believed in the Rainbow Snake for a real long time too, and some probably still do.

"Scientists have found that the first paintings of the Rainbow Serpent appear in Arnhem Land rock art between 6000 to 8000 years ago after the last Ice Age when the seas rose."

How many generations of Vikings believed fervently in Thor? And for how many centuries was Egypt consumed by their worship of various Gods? And the Greeks? They didn't waste their time and resources building a temple for Zeus after just a couple hundred years.

Hell, how long has Santa Claus been around for? And how widespread are his believers?!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, jypsijemini said:

And yet, for how many centuries did the majority of the world's inhabitants believe and insist the world was flat? :hmm:

The indigenous Australians believed in the Rainbow Snake for a real long time too, and some probably still do.

"Scientists have found that the first paintings of the Rainbow Serpent appear in Arnhem Land rock art between 6000 to 8000 years ago after the last Ice Age when the seas rose."

How many generations of Vikings believed fervently in Thor? And for how many centuries was Egypt consumed by their worship of various Gods? And the Greeks? They didn't waste their time and resources building a temple for Zeus after just a couple hundred years.

Hell, how long has Santa Claus been around for? And how widespread are his believers?!

It's not a question of fact, but belief. You can prove the material to be factual or not, yet it is well nigh impossible to prove an abstraction, such as God, factually nonexistent, you can only point out there is no material evidence. Some do try anyway, 'though!

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, jypsijemini said:

Honest question - why is ANYONE quoting the Urantia Book when it supposedly originated in Chicago between 1924 -1955 and no one really knows who wrote it?

Where are the sources for such claims?

And why is this book being used as supplementary evidence for the BIble?

The Urantia Book is how those things that are hidden, have been revealed.

• Haha 1

The toilet bowl is where feces, where previously hidden within, is ultimately revealed. 

~

Edited by third_eye
Addition
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Piney said:

There are several threads where I tore all the racism, false science, false history, and lies up and he still insists it's "fact accurate"

Don't even argue Gypsy. He's trying to start a following and is too dense to realize nobody is having any. 

Why are you so deceitful?

When you quoted the UB other day, why did you change the spelling of some of its words to make it look like they were spelled wrong?

Do you really think that doesn't expose you for the fraud that you are?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Will Due said:

The Urantia Book is how those things that are hidden, have been revealed.

There are no credible sources.

And it was written 70 years ago by a bunch of randoms who can't even come forward to admit they're responsible for such an appalling piece of literature posing as factual historical writings.

You still didn't answer either of my questions:

And why is this book (from the 1950s) being used as supplementary evidence for the BIble?

Edited by jypsijemini
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jypsijemini said:

There are no credible sources.

And it was written 70 years ago by a bunch of randoms who can't even come forward to admit they're responsible for such an appalling piece of literature posing as factual historical writings.

You still didn't answer either of my questions:

And why is this book (from the 1950s) being used as supplementary evidence for the BIble?

Look within yourself. There's where you'll find the answers. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Yep, thought so. I was right all along:

The answer is: you believe it because you like the way it sounds, the way it gives more detail than the Bible and you've convinced yourself that it's true, regardless of how easy it is for a rational mind to completely discredit the entire thing as pure fiction.

Cheers for the great advice, it really helped.

Edited by jypsijemini
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jypsijemini said:

Your welcome. :tu:

Please remember to flush after use. 

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, jypsijemini said:

Yep, thought so. I was right all along:

The answer is: you believe it because you like the way it sounds, the way it gives more detail than the Bible and you've convinced yourself that it's true, regardless of how easy it is for a rational mind to completely discredit the entire thing as pure fiction.

Wow congratulations!  I've never seen anyone complete both the Basic UM Spirituality Tutorial: Mr Walker and the Advanced Tutorial: Will Due in a mere two days.  Very impressive!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

6 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Advanced Tutorial: Will Due 

Gee thanks LG :D :lol:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Apples and oranges, neither of the above inspired the most prevalent religion in modern history. As to the historicity of Jesus I'll answer my own question, yes it DOES matter, if for no other reason than for religio-historical accuracy. And as to being part of our history and heritage so are stories of Thor, Zeus, Ra-Horakhty, Manannan Mac Lir, Shiva, etc. Should we then be crediting them with REAL existence and godly powers based solely on millenia old hear-say as well? And yes, the story DOES help make us who we are, and who we are is a species willing to lie to itself in order to make existence more palatable to its understanding and its place, whatever that may ultimately be, in the grand scheme of things. 

Like it says under my profile location:  Many prefer a reassuring lie over an inconvenient truth

cormac

We do not have to credit them with anything, but we might at least try to ascertain where the legends came from.  And we both agree about them being part of our cultural heritage, so lets try to get it right (not that we ever can).

Doug

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Will Due said:

Why are you so deceitful?

When you quoted the UB other day, why did you change the spelling of some of its words to make it look like they were spelled wrong?

Do you really think that doesn't expose you for the fraud that you are?

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

According to the historians, yes!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Piney said:

When you quoted the UB other day, why did you change the spelling of some of its words to make it look like they were spelled wrong?

8 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Wow congratulations!  I've never seen anyone complete both the Basic UM Spirituality Tutorial: Mr Walker and the Advanced Tutorial: Will Due in a mere two days.  Very impressive!

*curtseys* Why thank you! :blush:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

When you quoted the UB other day, why did you change the spelling of some of its words to make it look like they were spelled wrong?

:lol:  Why would I have to do something that mundane with all the trash in it?

Edited by Piney
Urantia is Dreck
  • Like 3

On 12/5/2019 at 3:43 PM, Piney said:

No need to. It's dying on it's own.

Just as He predicted.  

However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"

Fortunately, we won't need faith any longer because He will be with us and will rule over all.  I find that comforting because I believe He is the Creator.  Those who fear it or who rage against the idea of it will discover the justice they've feared isn't what they expected it to be, IMO.  They think in their own terms of what justice is and try to impose that on God.  

Believe, disbelieve, mock or agree, none of it will matter in that day.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, and then said:

Just as He predicted.  

Yup, one of the Buddha's predicted the same thing as with Lao the Child. 

I don't mock true Christianity. Only the American idiot forms like Mormons, JW, Assemblies of God, etc.  which are nothing but cults. 

The Unitarians, Quakers and Presbyterians have a good thing. Now if the rest of the Christian world would take a hard look. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

According to the historians, yes!

We really have to clean up your "Drunk English". :whistle:

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Piney said:

:lol:  Why would I have to do something that mundane with all the trash in it?

It's not the trash in 'it'.

It's the trash in you. 

Why didn't you answer the question?

Is it that hard to face the truth of what you did? :lol:

When you quoted the UB other day, why did you change the spelling of some of its words to make it look like they were spelled wrong?

13 hours ago, Will Due said:

So short answer. You haven't got a clue. Theres a surprise.

• Thanks 6

• The topic was locked