Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Jesus Exist?

zep73

59 minutes ago, Habitat said:

The idea that the "riddle of existence" is explained by "differences in potential", has no traction, it begs the question of how the differences in potential arrive. It is no different to another similarly unsatisfying explanation, 8 bits favourite, "goddidit". The whole point is, that it is not a rationally soluble problem.

That's not true at all. The catalysts for differences of potential are very real and have been measured and recorded. 

Tell me when a cloud will form, and where and you can prove these catalysts are easily predictable. Your references to a higher power are using the same logic that had Zeus hurling lightning bolts. Many factors can initiate ba difference in potential. In 2000 a man at Sun City resort in Surfers Paradise died from an electric shock in the pool. It wasn't active feeds that had somehow made the pool live. Geological shifts moved the slab and the earth wire to the pool broke. It was the difference n potential that killed him. Perhaps you should go dig him up and inform him that the cause of his death isn't acceptable by you, so he can go back to living again. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Piney said:

The Atomic Dome is a eerie sight in the monument.

Did you cry? I expect to be overcome with emotion. 

Edited by Sherapy

12 minutes ago, Piney said:

You must go to Kyoto and spend about a week there. It was my step papa's family's home city. I miss it.

I am going to Kyoto will spend about a week there too,:wub:

54 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Whilst the antecedent conditions of some physical state might be a "difference in potential", it does not explain the difference in potential. Why would it be the "first cause" ? If we are expected to take it as a given, then it is no different to "God (differences in potential) made the world". Otherwise the Pope would be looking worried.

Has religion ever worried about what science has to say?

No it doesn't and hasn't. Seriously, that's possibly your worst argument yet.

It's not a given. We mechanically introduce such variables unsee controlled conditions to actually produce virtual particles. 

When you can summon up god on demand, we will have an equal playing field.

Build God. Then we'll talk.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Did you cry? I expect to be overcome with emotion. 

It's like visiting a battlefield for me. I saw it. I was really upset. I have to need to go back. 

My baby sister has a beautiful farm in Gettysburg, but it's right on a major slaughter site so I have a hard time visiting. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Piney said:

It's like visiting a battlefield for me. I saw it. I was really upset. I have to need to go back. 

My baby sister has a beautiful farm in Gettysburg, but it's right on a major slaughter site so I have a hard time visiting. 

I can imagine how hard this would be for you. I feel a calling too, I have to go. I will break down, I do just thinking about the horrors of what happened. 

I think you and I are similar in our deep empathy for those that truly suffered. I think we both get suffering. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I am going to Kyoto will spend about a week there too,:wub:

See if you can get permission to tour the Moss Garden. It's hard but try.

I spend 3 months studying at the Byodo-In when I was a strapling. Check that out too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I feel a calling too

What do you put that down to ?

6 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I think you and I are similar in our deep empathy for those that truly suffered. I think we both get suffering. 

The lady whose house I am working on is from Nagasaki. She lost relatives and her family still deals with birth defects. They were just poor farmers. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

A difference in potential?

16 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I don’t know, I felt the same way about going to the Museum of Tolerance in California. 

I think it is my way of challenging myself to my best, which isn’t saying much, trying to be compassion in action is hard work, this particular experience was so profound, so gut wrenching, so humbling and in my face it literally changed me is some ways on the spot. 

It is time to be vulnerable and real once again. 

I work as a caregiver to be of service to those that suffer, I demand unwavering compassion from myself and I am  tough on myself, there is no room for my own bs. 

I think Piney gets this too. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

I agree traveling is engagement with the world in a way that creates experiences and insights you would never get from reading about it or imagining things. 

I encouraged my sons  to get out in the world, experience it, live in different places it nurtures diversity. 

Go on planes, trains, buses, I rode on a greyhound bus across country, what an experience. The people I met, the conversations, the things I have seen. It was fun. I recently flew back to Kansas met my son we drove back to Cali together we took our time, saw so much, stayed in many places. We spent hours talking sharing, listening to each others music, getting to know each other as people. It is so bonding. The US is beautiful too. We are going to Italy next year. I have friends in Rome who will show us around and we will stay with them. This trip is special as I am Italian. 

I have never heard of anyone who purposely devalues and doesn’t get why people travel? 

He said he avoids the dangers of travel, I think he has a lot of fears and the coping style is keeping his world very small so he can cope. Just my two cents.

I want as many experiences as I can till I die. Hell yeah.

I am going to Japan later this year, cannot wait. 

Wow, jealous as :)

i have been wanting to see Japan for a while now. My son is keen as mustard too. Hoping we can go in the near future.

Same, my travels are far from over yet. It's a very rich experience. I used to have a holiday house in New Zealand. I really miss it 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

The lady whose house I am working on is from Nagasaki. She lost relatives and her family still deals with birth defects. They were just poor farmers. 

I don’t think people realize how the bombings still affect these people. Innocent people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Wow, jealous as :)

i have been wanting to see Japan for a while now. My son is keen as mustard too. Hoping we can go in the near future.

Same, my travels are far from over yet. It's a very rich experience. I used to have a holiday house in New Zealand. I really miss it 

You and your son will go and it will bond you even more. 

My youngest, my hubby and me are making this trip. My youngest and I are similar in advocating against suffering in ways that we can give our best. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Sherapy said:

I don’t know, I felt the same way about going to the Museum of Tolerance in California. 

I think it is my way of challenging myself to my best, which isn’t saying much, trying to be compassion in action is hard work, this particular experience was so profound, so gut wrenching, so humbling and in my face it literally changed me is some ways on the spot. 

I work as a caregiver to be of service to those that suffer, I demand unwavering compassion from myself and I am  tough on myself, there is no room for my bs. 

I think Piney gets this too. 

I sometimes think I'd like to visit the memorials at Stalingrad (now Volgograd) to get a sense of the epic battle that took place there.

See the source image

• Thanks 3

Just now, Sherapy said:

I don’t think people realize how the bombings still affect these people. Innocent people. 

It messed her family up. 

When the Imperial Government went crazy many of the Warrior-Priestly class had money to flee. Like my papa's family. The poor had to stay and suffer. 

• Sad 1

My youngest, my hubby and me are making this trip. My youngest and I are similar in advocating against injustice. 

You'd get along great with my older sister. She's now a member of the "Raging Grannies" protesting everything. :lol:

But we were all Red Cross, AFSC and members of every recognized conservation group. 

Now I'm just in the Union of Concerned Scientists and working via sloptop. :lol:

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I sometimes think I'd like to visit the memorials at Stalingrad (now Volgograd) to get a sense of the epic battle that took place there.

See the source image

And you should, there is no question you should go, anyway we can connect and maybe even effect change, for me these experiences can be the essence of ones spirituality, ones calling too.

For me, It is a part of my life. These type of experiences strip away the rationalizations and fantasy we spin to ourselves. 
 They humble us, I think we need rituals to keep us humble, it is a good practice. 

I am all for doing what one can, I just call bs on pretentiousness. 

And  it began with acknowledging my own, which is a work in progress.

My humanness gets in my way. Grrr

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

You'd get along great with my older sister. She's now a member of the "Raging Grannies" protesting everything. :lol:

But we were all Red Cross, AFSC and members of every recognized conservation group. 

Now I'm just in the Union of Concerned Scientists and working via sloptop. :lol:

Thank you:blush:

And thank you for your help. I can tell you actually give a damn. 

Edited by Sherapy

And thank you for your help. I can tell you actually give a damn. 

Well....you see, there's this orange painted horse's ass who wants to destroy the U.S.'s entire ecosystem. :o

......and did I tell you he hates Injuns? :unsure2:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Well....you see, there's this orange painted horse's ass who wants to destroy the U.S.'s entire ecosystem. :o

......and did I tell you he hates Injuns? :unsure2:

Stand strong, he to shall pass. 
 Ugh, can’t stomach that one. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sherapy said:

I wasn’t addressing seeing “life” through rose colored glasses I was specific in stating you see “yourself” through rose colored glasses. 

It doesn’t matter anyway, just an observation. 

Nonetheless, I have never read a hopeful, optimistic view about the world from you, you are incredibly pessimistic. Lol 

You are deluded 
i am eternally optimistic.

You really must see something other than what i write, when you read my posts.

I am open to any evidences you can provide that i am pessimistic, either for myself, or for the future of humanity.

Ive often said that, today, we are fortunate to live in the best of all past times, but that the future will be even better  if we can avoid  major wars and environmental catastrophes 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

if we can avoid  major wars and environmental catastrophes 

That's seems pretty bloody hard right now. :hmm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

You are deluded 
i am eternally optimistic.

You really must see something other than what i write, when you read my posts.

I am open to any evidences you can provide that i am pessimistic, either for myself, or for the future of humanity.

Ive often said that, today, we are fortunate to live in the best of all past times, but that the future will be even better  if we can avoid  major wars and environmental catastrophes 

Toot  toot  lol 
Not in my experience of you, and I trust my own judgment, you just don’t  like it,:P

No worries, we will agree to disagree on this one.

All the best. 

Edited by Sherapy

• The topic was locked