Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Jesus Exist?

zep73

2 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

The issue I have with the sentiment is there is no veneration or devotion to the concept of nothing being there.

It's on a case by case basis. It's not systematic. 

My worldview is not based on being comfortable.  It's based on making judgments with the available information. 

The same could be said for Hab's form of individual spiritual experience

As you read through the posts here, it is very clear that some people  venerate and idealise materialism, and the idea that there is nothing unknown, or not understood,  left in our world   It is also clear that some find the thought that there might be,  to be threatening to them,  as the unknown can be for humans  

My point was that, while we have to live with knowldge; when we have the opportunity for a belief (because there is no knowledge about a matter)  we should choose one which empowers us and makes us more resilient, happer and content. When you have a choice whether to be content or discontented, only a fool would choose to be discontented  Logic dictates a choice which will make you  happiest, and most content and empowered.  

7 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Toot  toot  lol 
Not in my experience of you, and I trust my own judgment, you just don’t  like it,:P

No worries, we will agree to disagree on this one.

All the best. 

That is you, not me

People remark constantly on how optimistic and cheerful i am.

The other day one of our chemists, who is a muslim from  Egypt, asked me how I could always be so happy and cheerful.

He is a brilliant bloke but struggling to understand people and life in Australia, and gain Australian qualifications, so he is a bit unhappy. I  Invited him around home for a coffee and a chat but haven't seen him since 

I gave him the best explanation I can, similar to how i have explained it to you 

I am known in the town for breaking into a little song and dance routine In shops etc  just because i am so happy. 

Can you support your judgement with any  specific evidences? 

36 minutes ago, Piney said:

That's seems pretty bloody hard right now. :hmm:

The chance varies across time.

Right now i place it at 50/50 A  few years back i would have been a bit more optimistic The next 30 or so years are the critical ones. if we survive that we will have replaced  fossil fuels with renewable energy in most things and have a better management  of our environment  Poverty, war, and disease will have been  largely removed from  most of the world.  However we wont be truly safe until we significantly reduce the human pop (by natural causes) down to a billion or less

The big worry is the almost inevitable war with china, which will decide the shape of human society over the next century, IF we survive it intact. 

It is possible china will have the power to force a surrender to its demands,  without a real war, by 2050.

That would save the planet, but change  the lives of everyone living at that time  

if you look at all human indicators over the last few decades, everyone has improved even the amount of wars and violence is less than it used to be. 

https://humanprogress.org/about

Edited by Mr Walker

9 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

I am known in the town for breaking into a little song and dance routine In shops etc  just because i am so happy. 

lol....show me the evidences, or it is just an anecdote ! Do I have to ring up the supermarket manager for confirmation, like the fish co-op about the whale ?

14 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

That is you, not me

People remark constantly on how optimistic and cheerful i am.

The other day one of our chemists, who is a muslim from  Egypt, asked me how I could always be so happy and cheerful.

He is a brilliant bloke but struggling to understand people and life in Australia, and gain Australian qualifications, so he is a bit unhappy. I  Invited him around home for a coffee and a chat but haven't seen him since 

I gave him the best explanation I can, similar to how i have explained it to you 

Can you support your judgement with any  specific evidences? 

“Thus i dont have the rosy view you have of biological parenting or the chemical bonds which are supposed to connect a parent and child. Too often they don't work.” (Mr Walker)

Extreme pessimistic view. 

I am not talking  about your day to day, I am talking about online.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

lol....show me the evidences, or it is just an anecdote ! Do I have to ring up the supermarket manager for confirmation, like the fish co-op about the whale ?

?

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You could try the chemist, corner shop, library, or supermarket 

I am afraid I have not been able to restrain myself in all those places, and possibly more.

I did a soft shoe shuffle for one lady in the street the other day, and she said now she will expect one very time we meet  :) 

Life is good (and fun)  

14 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

“Thus i dont have the rosy view you have of biological parenting or the chemical bonds which are supposed to connect a parent and child. Too often they don't work.” (Mr Walker)

Extreme pessimistic view. 

I am not talking  about your day to day, I am talking about online.

No it is not  You have an unrealistic view. I hold a  view based on the facts and statistics i presented to you about homelessness.

That statement was a simple factual truth,  and realistic not pessimistic  

I am not pessimistic but i do think we all have to do something  about these issues,  rather than simply believe that parents always love and bond with their biological offspring  

It is true i am a bit different online.

While flashes of humour come out, basically this is a serious place for me, discussing real and serious issues which need addressing  

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

No it is not  You have an unrealistic view. I hold a  view based on the facts and statistics i presented to you about homelessness.

That statement was a simple factual truth,  and realistic not pessimistic  

I am not pessimistic but i do think we all have to do something  about these issues  

It is true i am a bit different online While flashes of humour come out, basically this is a serious place for me, discussing real and serious issues which need addressing  

It is an extreme pessimist view, you are making an extremely negative value judgement.

You aren’t offering suggestions or seeing hope or furthering any cause you are passing judgement. Big difference. 

Online this is your MO. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

Just now, Sherapy said:

It is an extreme pessimist view, you are making a negative value judgement.

You aren’t offering suggestions or seeing hope or furthering any cause you are passing judgement. Big difference. 

Thats so untrue it is clear you don't get it at all. 

Look at the facts and figures and think reason unemotionally and you will see that I am correct. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Thats so untrue it is clear you don't get it at all. 

Look at the facts and figures and think reason unemotionally and you will see that I am correct. 

Ha ha ha ha ha I rest my case you are an extreme pessimist.

That was the point. :sk

Thank you, moving on. 

All the best. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sherapy said:

I can appreciate this served you as a coping mechanism to get through a scary event. 

Don’t get me wrong, I think a strong support system is integral to coping with life. 

For me,  an advantage has been an abusive childhood where I had to survive and help my sisters survive too, there is a resilience, self sufficiency, and self reliance that comes from this. I am fine with uncertainty. Your not. 

And when I can’t cope I have the sense to reach out to my support system. 

Just different ways of coping and yours wouldn’t serve me. 

lol you did it again 

took a humorous comment and used it to deny the reality of my life  

It is not a belief.

it is not a coping method.

It is a real and powerful being, who protects empowers  etc

Of course we should all use every mechanism available  to us 

I use all the ones you mention but in addition i have the protection and empowerment given to me by a "god" 

That gives me an advantage

In life we should not look a t material well being and spiritual well being as disconnected. They are both important Thus access to good science and medicine is essential, but so is access to a positive belief and to faith 

Actually having "a god" on hand is, i will admit, an unexpected extra bonus which does not appear to be available to everyone :)  but anyone can be healed and empowered  by faith    (there are limits to this, but then there are limits to the power of medical science to heal, as well.  )

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

lol you did it again 

took a humorous comment and used it to deny the reality of my life  

It is not a belief.

it is not a coping method.

It is a real and powerful being, who protects empowers  etc

Of course we should all use every mechanism available  to us 

I use all the ones you mention but in addition i have the protection and empowerment given to me by a "god" 

That gives me an advantage

In life we should not look a t material well being and spiritual well being as disconnected. They are both important Thus access to good science and medicine is essential, but so is access to a positive belief and to faith 

Actually having "a god" on hand is, i will admit, an unexpected extra bonus which does not appear to be available to everyone :)  but anyone can be healed and empowered  by faith    (there are limits to this, but then there are limits to the power of medical science to heal, as well.  )

Another holier than thou moment brought us by the wally. 
Each to their own. 

All the best. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Ha ha ha ha ha I rest my case you are an extreme pessimist.

That was the point. :sk

Thank you, moving on. 

All the best. 

sorry, but you will have to explain this pov

seeing facts as they  are is NOT pessimism.

Believing that humans all have some special biological bond with their child is untrue. and thus an example of  extreme optimism 

A pessimist would say that no such bond exists at all.

A balanced unemotional view based on the facts, is that, while some biological parents have such a bond, many do not, resulting in a failure to connect to their chid to love it or to care for it 

The optimism in my pov is that any human can choose to love any child as their own and take on that role of parent for life, just as effectively  as a biological parent, and sometimes more so, if the biological parent does not also make a conscious intellectual commitment to BE a parent for life    

5 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Another holier than thou moment brought us by the wally. 
Each to their own. 

All the best. 

It is a simple truth

You perceive it as "holier than thou" ,  because you  deny the truth and reality of it  To me your view on the superiority of a biological parent is a real case of " holier than thou

" Oh you can never know what it is like to be a parent. You can't have that attachment a biological parent has etc. "  

In contrast i say that you and any human can know what it is like to have the power and support of a god because it  comes with belief/faith,  which anyone can chose to have 

Don't want it? Fair enough, but you can't deny the reality and power  of its (belief/faith)  existence, shown in thousands of scientific and medical studies  

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

sorry, but you will have to explain this pov

seeing facts as they  are is NOT pessimism.

Believing that humans all have some special biological bond with their child is untrue. and thus an example of  extreme optimism 

A pessimist would say that no such bond exists at all.

A balanced unemotional view based on the facts, is that, while some biological parents have such a bond, many do not, resulting in a failure to connect to their chid to love it or to care for it 

The optimism in my pov is that any human can choose to love any child as their own and take on that role of parent for life, just as effectively  as a biological parent, and sometimes more so, if the biological parent does not also make a conscious intellectual commitment to BE a parent for life    

Made a visit to google, eh.

I am bored of this moving on. 

All the best.

It is a simple truth

You perceive it as "holier than thou" ,  because you  deny the truth and reality of it  To me your view on the superiority of a biological parent is a real case of " holier than thou

" Oh you can never know what it is like to be a parent. You can't have that attachment a biological parent has etc. "  

You don’t have the experience of a biological parent, you say this all the time. I agree with you. 

There are many ways to experience caring for children, biological is one of them.  

4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Made a visit to google, eh.

I am bored of this moving on. 

All the best.

Actually no.

Typed fast and from the heart, and from  personal experience and past knowledge, without any reference to google.

I have noticed that you love " moving on" when the facts don't fit your beliefs :) 

It could be frustrating, but i see it as  a kind of  cute character trait.   (It is better than getting angry :) ) 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

You don’t have the experience of a biological parent, you say this all the time. I agree with you. 

There are many ways to experience caring for children, biological is one of them.  

As we know, there are children that are not the child of the man named on the birth certificate, and unbeknownst to him. Perhaps a study could have been done to compare these instances, to the normal situation. so far as fatherly bonding proceeds. Could be interesting, albeit difficult to carry out.

3 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I dont believe there is any  inherent difference between a biological parent and a non biological one.

I dont think that  biological parents necessarily have any unique experience, which is not available to people who chose to care for a child.  I suspect they like to think they do. but i don't see the evidences for it  

Both can experience the same chemical rushes and biological bonding/attachment.

Both can choose the intellectual love and commitment for a child.

There are good and bad parents, but (proportionally)  fewer bad parents who have chosen to love and commit to a child, than ones who simply bred it  and dont feel love or commitment for it.   

6 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Actually no.

Typed fast and from the heart, and from  personal experience and past knowledge, without any reference to google.

I have noticed that you love " moving on" when the facts don't fit your beliefs :) 

It could be frustrating, but i see it as  a kind of  cute character trait.   (It is better than getting angry :) ) 

That is an interesting way to look at it, but It’s just my way saying we are beating a dead horse and we are derailing. 

I am getting  back on topic. 

53 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

You could try the chemist, corner shop, library, or supermarket 

I am afraid I have not been able to restrain myself in all those places, and possibly more.

I did a soft shoe shuffle for one lady in the street the other day, and she said now she will expect one very time we meet  :) 

Life is good (and fun)  

On the strength of this, Dance Of Heroes could be a fair bet in the next race at Port Lincoln in 20 minutes or so.

4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

As we know, there are children that are not the child of the man named on the birth certificate, and unbeknownst to him. Perhaps a study could have been done to compare these instances, to the normal situation. so far as fatherly bonding proceeds. Could be interesting, albeit difficult to carry out.

There is a thread on this, post there.

I am at fault too we are derailing. 

Moving on. 

I dont believe there is any  inherent difference between a biological parent and a non biological one.

I dont think that  biological parents necessarily have any unique experience, which is not available to people who chose to care for a child.  I suspect they like to think they do. but i don't see the evidences for it  

There are good and bad parents, but (proportionally)  fewer bad parents who have chosen to love and commit to a child, than ones who simply bred it  and dont feel love or commitment for it.   

Post in the appropriate thread. 

I will address it tomorrow. 

Moving on. 

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

You aren't a biological parent. It doesn't matter what you think. Sheri and I know 

You cannot know unless you have that experience to draw from. 

Rabbit on all you like. That's how it is, and they are your rules. You are out of this loop, live with it.

Edited by psyche101
  • Thanks 3

• The topic was locked