Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Jesus Exist?

zep73

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Ugh, Not talking about the historical Jesus, Walls. 

your post said this 

And how many just assume he was a real person. I did too, once. 

So indeed, here, you ARE speaking about a real person. You have just said so .You've just said you no longer consider jesus to have been a real person. 

If you  are talking about the mythical jesus you are, perhaps, NOT talking of a real person, but you need to make that clear 

6 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

In the case of christ  there is almost universal professional  understanding that he was a real preacher and teacher who was killed by somebody

At least this is how it's seen in Princeton,and Haverford among other's. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

yep.. now what?

That's it.

Anyone can  (logically and rationally) believe anything, if there are no evidences conclusively proving something, one way or the other.

What you choose to believe or disbelieve generally depends on your own psychological make up and needs.

Your capacity  for, and tendency to, belief  (including disbelief)  will be determined by other psychological factors in your make up.

(you and yours used generically)  

5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

your post said this 

And how many just assume he was a real person. I did too, once. 

So indeed, here, you ARE speaking about a real person. You have just said so .You've just said you no longer consider jesus to have been a real person. 

If you  are talking about the mythical jesus you are, perhaps, NOT talking of a real person, but you need to make that clear 

The biblical Jesus, Walls. 

I have had enough, I share habs sentiments. It’s enough for one nite. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

Just now, Sherapy said:

Is it good? 

Ian McShane is the best Odin ever. :nw:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

or your brain.... but that's just my opinion 

lol unfounded. 

Whatever you think of my opinions, the fact that  i can formulate and express them, indicates the presence of a brain.  

7 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Christ is  a title for this particular bloke. Like Mr is a title  for me 

They go together as a label/identifier for the man not the magician 

I am not Walker 

I am Mr walker.

Jesus was Jesus Christ,  even if that label was attached after his death 

It doesn't mean he was anything more than a man. 

Try again:

According to the Summa Theologica of Thomas Aquinas, in the singular case of Jesus, the word Christ has a twofold meaning, which stands for "both the Godhead anointing and the manhood anointed". It derives from the twofold human-divine nature of Christ (dyophysitism): the Son of man is anointed in consequence of His incarnated flesh, as well as the Son of God is anointing in consequence of the "Godhead which He has with the Father" (ST III, q. 16, a. 5).[16]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_(title)#Etymology

Which at best places him as more than a man, in effect a Christian demi-god at the very least. 

cormac

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

Ian McShane is the best Odin ever. :nw:

Hmmm, I might check it out. Is it fun or serious, light? Looking for something right now, I have to get up early my bestie and I are heading to a Hot Bikram Yoga class early, I need a new series, I have literally watched everything but this. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

yep

that is actually a FACT--- logical/ rational thinking individuals love facts= don't we

It is probably a fact, but it is unevidenced and unproven.

You have to  believe miracles and gods etc are not real to believe this, (and for some it is a logical rational belief, on the best evidences available to them)  but you  cannot KNOW it ie you can't prove it true or false, and  so it cannot be a fact. 

7 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Try again:

Which at best places him as more than a man, in effect a Christian demi-god at the very least. 

cormac

Thank you, Walker exhausts me with the nonsense. 

I think he needs to slow his roll with the Red Bull’s. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

Christ is a fictional character. 
And you believe this too. 

Have to be careful with words here 

The character OF christ MAY be fictional  It certainly cant be known or proven 

However the character,Christ, was real 

Having experienced my share of miracles as real and powerful as some of those  in the bible, I retain an open mind  Just because "miracles"  are real doesn't mean that christ was a miracle worker, although it increases the possibility that he could have been  

There is a force, or a power, capable of performing things we call miracles  and particularly of empowering and gifting humans, so they can do "incredible" things. 

I don't know if christ was such a human or even an avatar of a god  

I wouldn't place a bet on it, either way, 

I have met dozens of humans who possess a part of this power, and can perform "miracles"  The more of the gift one has, the more one can accomplish.

It is possible that a human filled with this power could do things we think are impossible (I believe "the power" is a technological function of a superior technology   )

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Try again:

cormac

lol That is the opinion of a man indoctrinated in, and totally committed to, one belief 

I repeat ,"christ"  i s a title  by which we know this man/ it doesn't matter if his was JUST a man That is his name and title  

I am not a master, yet i am still labelled MR 

It is confusing and perhaps insulting if you refuse to use a title because you have some philosophical objection to it 

Some have an objection to  all titles, including mr or mrs. 

ie you don't have to believe  dear old Tom's description  of  christ, to use his correct title. The pope is the pope whether you recognise his legitimacy and power or not

You can't just refer to him as Francis  First no one will know of whom you are speaking.

Second it is rude/disrespectful   

32 minutes ago, Piney said:

Watch 'American Gods'. :lol:

seriously tried two times . Managed to get to about the fourth/fifth episode the second time, then gave up

I cant honestly say why i didn't like it .

The concept  and genre appeal to me. the acting was good The author is one of my favourites 

I don't mind violence (GOT and vikings are two of my favourite shows)  but here the violence seemed gratuitous and disconnected to the story. Maybe it was meant  to be an analogy to modern america. in which case, as an Australian, something was missing    

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

I don't mind violence (GOT and vikings are two of my favourite shows)  but here the violence seemed gratuitous and disconnected to the story. Maybe it was meant  to be an analogy to modern america. in which case, as an Australian, something was missing    

As a archaeological tech who worked with historians and knows their history, I can't watch 'Vikings'.  It's like watching psychotic fantasy LARPers. :lol:

Love GOT though. 

50 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I think he needs to slow his roll with the Red Bull’s. 

Before he's back in his least favorite room. :yes:

Ya read that pops!!! 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Crikey said:

Think "prisoners of war". Even in WW2 POW's were often put to work..:D

Wrong, they're slaves. Did you even read it?

How many POW's were possessions given to your children? How many POW's were born on your land to be taken as slaves?

Use your brain here, you're trying to defend an immoral practice.

But anyway let's fast-forward to the New Testament centuries later

Still defends slavery.

https://jamestabor.com/the-top-seven-fateful-passages-in-the-new-testament-4-slaves-obey-your-masters-in-everything/

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Crikey said:

No matter how nasty their ancestors were, people still have the free choice to play the "get-out card" by simply accepting Jesus instead of following the ways of their forebears..:D

"Jesus saved you from the empty way of life handed you by your forefathers" (1 Peter 1:18 )

So you're accountable for what your ancestors did?  You don't possess common sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Wrong, they're slaves.  How many POW's were possessions given to your children?  Use your brain here, you're trying to defend an immoral practice.

Still defends slavery.

https://jamestabor.com/the-top-seven-fateful-passages-in-the-new-testament-4-slaves-obey-your-masters-in-everything/

Any quotes from JC approving slavery?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crikey said:

Apart from the 27 separate books of the New T, there's also a truckload of historical accounts that never made it into the bible, how many more do you need?..:rolleyes:

Check 'em-

Have you?  I notice you've listed a few that directly contradict the typical view of Jesus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Any quotes from JC approving slavery?

Any from JC disproving of slavery?  As far as I can tell he didn't say anything about it.

I think he was careful not to rock the boat too much, but obviously wasn't successful.

4 hours ago, Will Due said:

Jesus of Nazareth was a "character" alright.

That's why they killed him.

And then he flew away.

• Haha 2

Just now, Habitat said:

I think he was careful not to rock the boat too much, but obviously wasn't successful.

Besides what he already did?  Declares himself god/son of god, and opposes the practiced religions..  But slavery?  He's not even going to touch that.

• Like 2

• The topic was locked