Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Jesus Exist?

zep73

1 minute ago, Crikey said:

Just to digress slightly, do UM members think Jesus WAS God?

NO.

27 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Crikey, come on now you can’t possibly believe a person can cure blindness by rubbing mud in their eyes. Sheesh. 

WE are made of mud ("dust to dust") so it was easy for JC to make new eyes from the stuff.

PS- I got College of Preceptors exam passes in Science and Advanced Science years ago and went on to work in labs, so naturally the "Superscience" of the bible appeals to my scientific curiosity..:D

Edited by Crikey
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Habitat said:

That rant has very little relevance to what I said, the fact remains that, at bottom, true religiosity has nothing to do with the adoration of human personalities like JC, in fact being wrapped up in the personality of another, any other, is an effective barrier to what I speak, these people stand as exemplars of the realisation of a potentiality inherent in all, and their message is intended to help others follow the path they followed, not follow them like a pet dog trundles after its master, because it is the master they want to be close to. That truly is, a childish thing.

You know habs I see words of wisdom. The true wonder is the conciousness. It is astonishing one can even believe they talk to dead people and really think it happened. 

11 minutes ago, Crikey said:

WE are made of mud ("dust to dust") so it was easy for JC to make new eyes from the stuff.

PS- I got College of Preceptors exam passes in Science and Advanced Science years ago and went on to work in labs, so naturally the "Superscience" of the bible appeals to my scientific curiosity..:D

Lol, I think you are bored. Lol 

4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

It is astonishing one can even believe they talk to dead people and really think it happened. 

I don't claim to speak to, or get answers from dead people, in the way you infer. But don't worry, I have certainly been in receipt of communication of various kinds. That you cannot allow such possibilities, is a limitation you have. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Jesus wouldn't want to upset the Romans.

He mightn't have wanted to, but he did !

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I don't claim to speak to, or get answers from dead people, in the way you infer. But don't worry, I have certainly been in receipt of communication of various kinds. That you cannot allow such possibilities, is a limitation you have. 

Of course, it is possible to believe this thanks to our brain. :D 

Your of the Rip Van Winkle bunch telling tales from the old days. You know when we used to think thunder was bowling in heaven and rain was god crying. IMHO

You take things way to seriously. Lighten up Frances. :clap:

Edited by Sherapy
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sherapy said:

Of course, it is possible to believe this thanks to your brain. :D

Your of the Rip Van Winkle bunch telling tales from the old days. IMHO

This just reflects your "attitude of the day" inconstancy. Today, you are lower on tolerance of "woo", than normal. I am not sure why you would bring my personal story into the subject here, when I had just finished saying that true religiosity is not a matter of focussing on human personalities, historical or otherwise.

16 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Lol, I think you are bored. Lol 

Nah, I'm looking forward to watching The Waltons on TV later- "The family are shocked when John-Boy admits to having a crush on the new older schoolmistress"

Hmm sounds good, we all like milfs,,:D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

You take things way to seriously. Lighten up Frances. :clap:

Oh, I see, when you overstep the mark by saying I tell fibs, it is my fault for taking you seriously ? If you really aren't to be taken seriously, and I do, I guess that is my "fault" then ! Quite happy to err on that side.

• Sad 1

SITREP- in answer to my question 'Was Jesus God'.. the answers in so far are-

OnlookerofMayhem- NO

Sherapy- NO.

Anybody else care to step up to the plate with an answer?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

This just reflects your "attitude of the day" inconstancy. Today, you are lower on tolerance of "woo", than normal. I am not sure why you would bring my personal story into the subject here, when I had just finished saying that true religiosity is not a matter of focussing on human personalities, historical or otherwise.

It wasn’t personal to you it was a common example you are not the only one who may have thought dead people talk. 

Heck, I have brushed shoulders with hallucinations too in my lifetime, I was actually thinking about myself. :P

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Oh, I see, when you overstep the mark by saying I tell fibs, it is my fault for taking you seriously ? If you really aren't to be taken seriously, and I do, I guess that is my "fault" then ! Quite happy to err on that side.

Habbie you are taking things personal, not everything is about you boo boo.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Heck, I have brushed shoulders with hallucinations too in my lifetime

I can't say I have experienced much at all of that genre, and certainly not in recent times. I don't "see things".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Habbie you are taking things personal, not everything is about you boo boo.

I have no idea why you are bringing a school of red herrings into the discussion.

10 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Nah, I'm looking forward to watching The Waltons on TV later- "The family are shocked when John-Boy admits to having a crush on the new older schoolmistress"

Hmm sounds good, we all like milfs,,:D

Your alright Crikey, 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

I have no idea why you are bringing a school of red herrings into the discussion.

We are good then:P

5 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I can't say I have experienced much at all of that genre, and certainly not in recent times. I don't "see things".

More audio?

• Haha 1

In all of Judea there were, probably,  many Yeshua bar Yosefs Both were popular names.. Thus, Jesus existed. The question is, was one of them our Jesus? What if it was an alias?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Anybody else care to step up to the plate with an answer?

Wrong thread, we're all historians here, kinda; theologians not so much :no:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

In all of Judea there were, probably,  many Yeshua bar Yosefs Both were popular names.. Thus, Jesus existed. The question is, was one of them our Jesus? What if it was an alias?

Or a creation from the mind of a very clever, culturally savvy, and very educated man. 
Hands down he was a fascinating dude who had his fingers on the pulse of his culture. 

Perhaps a Steve Jobs of his day. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

Regarding "speaking to the dead", I don't buy it because the "spirits" apparently just come out with unimportant guff. For example-

MEDIUM AT SEANCE- "Is there anybody there?"

VOICE- "Yes this is Albert"

ALBERTS WIDOW- "Oh Albert, what divine message do you bring me from the great beyond?"

ALBERT- "Buy your brussel sprouts at Tesco because they're cheaper there, keep an eye on the milkman because he's on the fiddle, and watch your step walking home down Saxby Street because the dog at number 19 has done a heap in the middle of the pavement"

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

There are many Elvis impersonators too, but only one is the real deal, right Elv?

Edited by Crikey

15 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

More audio?

You know, if you had been here when some of this stuff happened, I think your reactions might have been more interesting than what transpired ! And it was quite dramatic at times. The cat didn't come back upstairs for a week after one.

• The topic was locked