Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Jesus Exist?

zep73

Just now, Crikey said:

Prove it..:P

This individual's posting style reminds me of someone, but I cannot put my finger on who.

However, for myself, I'm not going to continue to respond to this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

As for the topic. The biblical Jesus didn't exist and I have no idea why anyone would believe or even worship this fictional character. 

Scientists estimate there are literally thousands of alien civilisations in our galaxy alone, so when Jesus said "I am not of this world" why shouldn't we believe him? Perhaps the notion of an alien visitor scares some people, it's an occupational hazard..:D

ALIEN- "I come in peace"

HUMANS- "On yer bike Jack, BAM BAM BAM"

klaatu shot4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Scientists estimate there are literally thousands of alien civilisations in our galaxy alone,

Another outright lie. Are we a "Liar for Jesus"? 

Maybe you should read up on the Fermi Paradox and the Rare Earth Hypothesis. There may be a lot of life, but technology needs a specific environment which is extremely rare in our galaxy. So rare we haven't found one yet. 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

This individual's posting style reminds me of someone, but I cannot put my finger on who.

However, for myself, I'm not going to continue to respond to this one.

Who, me? Perhaps we've bumped into each other before because I've been doing the rounds of internetland's discussion forums for 19 years under assorted screennames ..:D

How about it Rock? 

"C'mon, it's true, but that don't bother me, I just wanna prove somethin', I ain't no bum, it don't matter if I lose, don't matter if Crikey opens my head.

The only thing I wanna do is go the distance, that's all. Nobody's ever gone fifteen rounds with Crikey.

If I go them fifteen rounds, an' that bell rings an' I'm still standin', I'm gonna know then I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood"...

rocky1.png

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Crikey said- Scientists estimate there are literally thousands of alien civilisations in our galaxy alone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another outright lie..

Dr. Frank Drake puts the figure at 10,000 alien civilisations, or is he lying too?..:P

drake-eqatn2.jpg

Just now, Crikey said:

Dr. Frank Drake puts the figure at 10,000 alien civilisations, or is he lying too?..:P

You already lost the argument using the odds of the Drake Eq., which doesn't work anymore after we were able to detect exoplanets, chemical signatures, study them and figure out what forms around what and I'm not going to repeat what you were told already in another thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

You already lost the argument using the odds of the Drake Eq., which doesn't work anymore after we were able to detect exoplanets..

So who's to say exoplanets don't have alien life on them?

WIKI- As of 1 January 2020, there are 4,160 confirmed exoplanets in 3,090 systems, with 676 systems having more than one planet.

2 minutes ago, Crikey said:

So who's to say exoplanets don't have alien life on them?

WIKI- As of 1 January 2020, there are 4,160 confirmed exoplanets in 3,090 systems, with 676 systems having more than one planet.

Until today no life on any known exoplanet has been proven, so whats your point?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, toast said:

Until today no life on any known exoplanet has been proven, so whats your point?

He doesn't understand the difference between life and technology. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Will Due said:

You can't ignore Jesus of Nazareth lol.

:lol:

• Thanks 1

PS- I've just added the words "Christian dood" to my avatar to let people know where I'm coming from, I wish other members would do the same so we'd know what their beliefs are..:D

• Like 1

Incidentally, I often wonder if Buddha was one of the "righteous men" Jesus was referring to when he said to the disciples-

"Many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which you see, and have not seen them, and to hear those things which you hear, and have not heard them" (Matt 13:17)

After all, the ancient Jewish scriptures date from at least the time of Moses (1500 B.C.), so they'd have been around for a thousand years before Buddha was born about 500 B.C.

Buddha may well have been aware of those scriptures and heard about the prophecies of a coming Messiah and thought "gosh I hope I'll see him before I die".

58 minutes ago, Crikey said:

PS- I've just added the words "Christian dood" to my avatar to let people know where I'm coming from, I wish other members would do the same so we'd know what their beliefs are..:D

Some people believe it's personal and private. There is a Vodou High Priest here who keeps it low so he's not tortured with all the nonsense and lies folks say about it. 

2 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I think Matt Dillahunty phrased it best when he asked: "How come the god of the bible can do things we can't, like create worlds, but cannot do anything we can, like build boats, tabernacles, and such?"

darling, do try to put more real estate between yourself, and lame quotes like that.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

so he's not tortured with all the nonsense and lies folks say about it. 

Jesus, does that sound familiar. ;)

8 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

That's an idea that's been tossed around for a few decades now: the possibility Jesus went on a pilgrimage to Tibet to study with the Buddhists. Remember that it's the Old Testament and the Torah that date back to 1500 BC. Jesus actually lived about 500 years after Siddartha Gautama. Thus he could well of studies with Buddhists. I'd like to believe this notion,  being a follower of many Buddhist tenets and philosophies, but the idea is problematic.

After the man who first made the claim admitted it was fraudulent. 

Besides, there were Greco-Buddhist Temples in many Greek Cities and quite possibly one in Alexandria. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Actually it's a valid question, as it addresses the age-old and never answered satisfactorily question of "if God is omnipotent why can he not physically intervene in our world?" The theists can offer no evidence of that. It's their Achilles heel.

It is nothing other than an infantile question, like "mummy, why did little Billy next door get a train set for Christmas, and I didn't, why is Santa not looking out for me ? "  Seriously, there are a few "challenged" types around here who think that the OT "God" is a soft target, and if a few rounds can be put into it,  then the whole matter of "God" can be put to bed. These people love the OT God almost as much as fundamentalist ratbag  believers do ! It serves their purpose. It just isn't a mature, considered analysis. It is just arrested development.

8 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Hostile much? Anyone who disagrees with your view is infantile and challenged,  huh? Congrats: I am new here and yours is the first douchey comment I've seen. LOL 

I see you've met habitat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Hostile much? Anyone who disagrees with your view is infantile and challenged,  huh? Congrats: I am new here and yours is the first douchey comment I've seen. LOL 

Just telling it like it is, it really is just a lame argument, that is intended for one purpose, and one purpose only, to "do a number" on the entire idea of God. And what arrogance that really is. As if some upstart is going to "solve" that conundrum, with a throwaway line. Such people are to be taken for what they are, immature. What kind of arrogant fool believes that God must be understandable, and follow the "logic" they dictate it should, or be non-existent ? I'll tell you what, people who are way out of their depth. Hubris. Thus it is, with those who fancy they can dispose of the "God" question, with trite remarks.

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Thus [Jesus] could well of studies with Buddhists. I'd like to believe this notion,  being a follower of many Buddhist tenets and philosophies, but the idea is problematic..

Yes, for a start much of Buddha's teachings are drastically opposite to Christian teachings.

Secondly Buddha was a truthseeker teaching his own best guesses and hunches and never claimed to have been given them by God, but the Old T prophets DID claim to have a direct line to God.

Jesus regularly quoted the Old T prophets and knew them inside out, but never quoted Buddha.

In fact Jesus made it clear that- "I have not spoken on my own authority; but the Father who sent me gave me a command, what I should say and what I should speak" (John 12:49),

so when God spoke through Jesus of "righteous men", it may well have been a reference to all truthseekers including Buddha.

Edited by Crikey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Piney said:

Probably the teachings of the Theruputs and Essenes. But mostly lost,

The teachings in M,M and L are probably all that's left. 

So how do you think that worked? When did the pre-existing teachings get attached to Jesus, realtive to the events Paul talks about?

Tthe only teachings he seems to know in detail are no divorce, which he feels free to amend, and the institution, which he may have picked up by visions, plus maybe some other hints and echoes. For example, at one point he woodenly says if you owe taxes, then pay them. It's hard to believe he'd ever heard of Mark's Jesus' Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.

I don't have a settled position here, just trying to grok your thinking.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tuco's Gas said:

..the age-old and never answered satisfactorily question of "if God is omnipotent why can he not physically intervene in our world?" The theists can offer no evidence of that. It's their Achilles heel.

This planet is a "football pitch", God created it and put us (the players) on it and told us how he wants us to play, then retired to the dugout with a tub of popcorn to watch how we do, he's not going to keep running on the pitch all the time..:D

The game is finally over of course, on judgement day-

Edited by Crikey
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, eight bits said:

I don't have a settled position here, just trying to grok your thinking.

I'm not really dead set either but I would hesitate to guess these folks had something to do with it along with the Nazarenes. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebionites

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was locked