Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
sci-nerd

Did Jesus Exist?

2,464 posts in this topic

Will Due
4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I think we get that Christianity is not your favourite, but it is not the work of JC.

:tu:

Isn't it interesting what a religious "education" can do for a person. :lol:

Piney
Just now, Habitat said:

Nothing good in Islam you can see ?

I have friends who practice mystical, pacifistic Islam but that was a later evolution. 

Then there's that car crash in the Middle East. 

• Like 1

Piney
Just now, Will Due said:

I never said I passed in grammar. :o

Drove my American English teachers nuts actually.  Switched to Tyke just to p*** on em. 

• Haha 1

Habitat
Just now, Will Due said:

:tu:

Well, it is a bit like when an old, well regarded jam-making company out here of long standing was bought out by a corporate raider, who promptly took out half the fruit, but nothing else changed. Must have been the old company's fault ?

• Like 1

Will Due
2 minutes ago, Piney said:

I never said I passed in grammar. :o

Drove my American English teachers nuts actually.  Switched to Tyke just to p*** on em. 

jack-nicholson-about-schmidt-1108x0-c-default.jpg

• Haha 1

Piney
1 minute ago, Habitat said:

Well, it is a bit like when an old, well regarded jam-making company out here of long standing was bought out by a corporate raider, who promptly took out half the fruit, but nothing else changed. Must have been the old company's fault ?

Find out what historical Jesus taught yet? Here, let me help you.

But a further portent was even more alarming. Four years before the war, when the city was enjoying profound peace and prosperity, there came to the feast at which it is the custom of all Jews to erect tabernacles to God, one Jesus, son of Ananias, a rude peasant, who suddenly began to cry out, "A voice from the east, a voice from the west, a voice from the four winds, a voice against Jerusalem and the sanctuary, a voice against the bridegroom and the bride, a voice against all the people." Day and night he went about all the alleys with this cry on his lips. Some of the leading citizens, incensed at these ill-omened words, arrested the fellow and severely chastised him. But he, without a word on his own behalf or for the private ear of those who smote him, only continued his cries as before. Thereupon, the magistrates, supposing, as was indeed the case, that the man was under some supernatural impulse, brought him before the Roman governor; there, although flayed to the bone with scourges, he neither sued for mercy nor shed a tear, but, merely introducing the most mournful of variations into his utterances, responded to each lashing with "Woe to Jerusalem!" When Albinus, the governor, asked him who and whence he was and why he uttered these cries, he answered him never a word, but unceasingly reiterated his dirge over the city, until Albinus pronounced him a maniac and let him go. During the whole period up to the outbreak of war he neither approached nor was seen talking to any of the citizens, but daily, like a prayer that he had conned, repeated his lament, "Woe to Jerusalem!" He neither cursed any of those who beat him from day to day, nor blessed those who offered him food: to all men that melancholy presage was his one reply. His cries were loudest at the festivals. So for seven years and five months he continued his wail, his voice never flagging nor his strength exhausted, until in the siege, having seen his presage verified, he found his rest. For, while going his round and shouting in piercing tones from the wall, "Woe once more to the city and to the people and to the temple," as he added a last word, "and woe to me also," a stone hurled from the ballista struck and killed him on the spot. So with those ominous words still upon his lips he passed away. – Book 6, Chapter 5, Section 3 of the historian Flavius Josephus' The Wars of the Jews or History of the Destruction of Jerusalem [2]

• Like 1

Habitat
3 minutes ago, Piney said:

until Albinus pronounced him a maniac and let him go.

Sounds much like the modern mental health system

• Thanks 2

Habitat
14 minutes ago, Piney said:

I have friends who practice mystical, pacifistic Islam but that was a later evolution. 

Then there's that car crash in the Middle East. 

You like Rumi ?

Piney
Just now, Habitat said:

Sounds much like the modern mental health system

Me guessin  you scribe to that car crash of Zoroastrian and Greco-Buddhist thought that became Gnosticism.

Sorry Mate, Tis wasn't Jeebus. 

• Like 1

Habitat
Just now, Piney said:

Me guessin  you scribe to that car crash of Zoroastrian and Greco-Buddhist thought that became Gnosticism.

Sorry Mate, Tis wasn't Jeebus. 

I don't "subscribe" to much at all. People do have a great penchant for categorization, a quite useless thing in a quest where distinction has to be abolished.

Piney
Just now, Habitat said:

You like Rumi ?

My friend at the University of Tehran introduced me to him. He's quite alright.

But since Americans have made them our enemy and he was last heard protesting the government I lost contact. 

Shame, hope he's ok. He gave me a nice mention in his paper on the Andronovo Horizon. 

• Like 1

Piney
Just now, Habitat said:

I don't "subscribe" to much at all. People do have a great penchant for categorization, a quite useless thing in a quest where distinction has to be abolished.

Depends on the way it's abolished. Theosophists put a nasty twist on syncretism. 

• Like 1

Habitat
1 minute ago, Piney said:

Depends on the way it's abolished. Theosophists put a nasty twist on syncretism. 

When I go to the supermarket, I see an aisle with literally hundreds of types of bread. I think, "this is madness, whatever happened to the days of maybe half a dozen"  Humans have a great penchant for unnecessary diversification and complication.

Piney
10 minutes ago, Habitat said:

When I go to the supermarket, I see an aisle with literally hundreds of types of bread. I think, "this is madness, whatever happened to the days of maybe half a dozen"  Humans have a great penchant for unnecessary diversification and complication.

And they also distort things and make add ons, even outright lies.

Jesus was never in India. The man who invented that fiction admitted to it's hoax. Yet it's perpetuated. 

American Evangelicals even justify pious fraud aka "Lying for Jesus". 

• Like 1