Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
sammymidnight13

"Supernatural" Mythology based in Truth?

sammymidnight13

Hey there, I'm a long time fan of the show Supernatural and have often wondered about certain elements whether they are based on anything real, like seperating the hollywood stuff from anything vaguely true. Obviously I know it's a tv show but I'm curious, salt lines, iron, stuff like that. Mythological beings and various folklore found on wikipedia all say it is just myths and I have serious doubts about most of it but wondered anyway what others would say on the shows interpretation etc. 

Edited by sammymidnight13

Rlyeh

Aren't they myths?

• Like 1

Robotic Jew

A lot of the things in the show dealing with fighting their enemies have SOME basis in folklore. They don't have any real scientific or documented backing...if that's what you're asking.

Salt for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blessed_salt_in_Christianity

Salt as sacramental[edit]

Salt may also be blessed for use as a sacramental, using the same prayer as is used during the preparation of holy water. This salt may be sprinkled in a room, or across a threshold, or in other places as an invocation of divine protection. This will keep demons and possessed persons away from a home and crossing a line made of salt. It may also be consumed.[14]

and Iron

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_in_folklore

"Cold iron" is historically believed to repel, contain, or harm ghosts, fairies, witches, and other malevolent supernatural creatures. This belief continued into later superstitions in a number of forms:

• Like 2

Piney
On 12/6/2019 at 3:37 AM, sammymidnight13 said:

Hey there, I'm a long time fan of the show Supernatural and have often wondered about certain elements whether they are based on anything real, like seperating the hollywood stuff from anything vaguely true. Obviously I know it's a tv show but I'm curious, salt lines, iron, stuff like that. Mythological beings and various folklore found on wikipedia all say it is just myths and I have serious doubts about most of it but wondered anyway what others would say on the shows interpretation etc. 

A lot of the Sigils they use are John Dee's and Eward Kelley's who were Renaissance cons.......ahem.... occultists. 

Iron and salt are two of the oldest methods of stopping spiritual energy though. Our earliest ancestors sprinkled red ochre (iron oxide) on the deceased and ceremonial objects. 

Bendy Demon

There is nothing truthful about shows like 'Supernatural' or 'Charmed' or any such show. They are just..shows. Fantasy. They're no more real than My Little Pony or Pokemon.

• Sad 1

Robotic Jew
9 hours ago, Bendy Demon said:

There is nothing truthful about shows like 'Supernatural' or 'Charmed' or any such show. They are just..shows. Fantasy. They're no more real than My Little Pony or Pokemon.

Hold up.....are you saying My Little Pony ISN'T a documentary????

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

sammymidnight13
10 hours ago, Bendy Demon said:

Of course they're just tv shows, wasn't claiming otherwise, purely hypothetical/curious inquiry

• Like 1

rashore

To my understanding, the writers of the show drew a lot from actual folklore and urban legend, and also made up material for the show.

• Like 2

Bendy Demon
5 hours ago, sammymidnight13 said:

Of course they're just tv shows, wasn't claiming otherwise, purely hypothetical/curious inquiry

Mythology and folklore isn't real. Period. It's all made up by people who were either ignorant of reality or just lavishly embellished minor details on ordinary things to make them seem more interesting.

I got tired of some of these shows long ago, same old stuff rehashed over and over. Kind of like playing 'Happy Birthday' over and over again..maybe in a different octave or different style but in the end it is all the same old, same old. ;)

The Eternal Flame
29 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

Mythology and folklore isn't real. Period. It's all made up by people who were either ignorant of reality or just lavishly embellished minor details on ordinary things to make them seem more interesting.

I got tired of some of these shows long ago, same old stuff rehashed over and over. Kind of like playing 'Happy Birthday' over and over again..maybe in a different octave or different style but in the end it is all the same old, same old. ;)

What about plant folklore? The magical power of nature plants crystal.

Edited by The Eternal Flame

rashore
7 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

What about plant folklore? The magical power of nature plants crystal.

I think the show gets a bit into that, sort of like how they do the salt and iron folklores. But not heavily into plant folklore.

• Like 1

The Eternal Flame
2 minutes ago, rashore said:

I think the show gets a bit into that, sort of like how they do the salt and iron folklores. But not heavily into plant folklore.

I respect nature and is power eatch plant affect our aura in dream to... The rabbit in the matrix.

Edited by The Eternal Flame

XenoFish

The show uses mythology, superstition, folklore, and occultist as a springboard for the episodes. Don't over think it. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rashore
2 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

I respect nature and is power eatch plant affect our aura in dream to... The rabbit in the matrix.

Pretty sure the show does not get that heavily into it... more like spell components or charms made with plant stuff they do off and on through the show.

The Eternal Flame
1 minute ago, rashore said:

Pretty sure the show does not get that heavily into it... more like spell components or charms made with plant stuff they do off and on through the show.

I replied to folklore isnt real?

rashore
1 minute ago, The Eternal Flame said:

I replied to folklore isnt real?

Um, not sure why you quoted me then? You had made comment about what about plant folklore, and yes, the show uses some plant folklore. I didn't say the folklore didn't exist or wasn't really folklore.

The Eternal Flame
3 minutes ago, rashore said:

Um, not sure why you quoted me then? You had made comment about what about plant folklore, and yes, the show uses some plant folklore. I didn't say the folklore didn't exist or wasn't really folklore.

I dont use tillenol since 3 years with seeds i put in my aura 1 week a year i get it at the witchcraft shop they difform when absorbing the bad stuff in you...

• Confused 2

The Eternal Flame
55 minutes ago, rashore said:

I found it funny how people can eat 350+ tillenol a year me in the matrix of nature 0

rashore
20 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

I found it funny how people can eat 350+ tillenol a year me in the matrix of nature 0

That really has nothing to do with what I said or the OP topic.

• Like 1

The Eternal Flame
Just now, rashore said:

That really has nothing to do with what I said or the OP topic.

Sorry i must missinterpret i dont speak english on a regular basis again sorry.

• Thanks 1

pokingjoker
On 12/9/2019 at 2:19 PM, Bendy Demon said:

All i could think of was this...

how-are-unicorns-fake-but-giraffes-are-real-like-whats-35559412.png