Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shooting at NAS Pensacola

Vorg

A shooter opened fire on multiple people Friday morning at Naval Air Station Pensacola, killing at least two people, authorities said. The shooter is dead, the U.S. Navy has confirmed.

Officials with Baptist Health Care in Pensacola said Baptist Hospital received eight patients from the shooting. Sacred Heart Hospital spokesperson Mike Burke confirmed they were anticipating three patients in their trauma center, but the situation was constantly changing.

It was still an active scene on the base as of Friday morning and a search of buildings was being conducted. The base said it will will be closed for the remainder of Friday and that only "essential personnel" will be allowed to enter. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nas-pensacola-shooting-active-shooter-reported-today-2019-12-06/

My Brother runs the T-34 simulator on this base, so we called and he is ok, and in lockdown. It appears 3 are dead including the shooter, and 11 wounded, but the lockdown is to ensure he was the only shooter.

• Sad 8

I've been putting this into my thread about the Pearl Harbor shooting 2 days ago. Yes. News reports are very conflicting and the base will be closed today. I've seen 3 dead plus the shooter and wounded reports that range from 5-11. My last post was this. Your brother would most likely have a better idea of what went on there. I've seen several reports that the shooter was taken down by law enforcement. Not much else has been released.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2019/12/06/naval-station-pensacola-active-shooter/

Wanted to add: I'm glad to hear you got to speak to your brother and he is ok. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, susieice said:

I've been putting this into my thread about the Pearl Harbor shooting 2 days ago. Yes. News reports are very conflicting and the base will be closed today. I've seen 3 dead plus the shooter and wounded reports that range from 5-11. My last post was this. Your brother would most likely have a better idea of what went on there. I've seen several reports that the shooter was taken down by law enforcement. Not much else has been released.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2019/12/06/naval-station-pensacola-active-shooter/

Wanted to add: I'm glad to hear you got to speak to your brother and he is ok. 

Thanks Susieice. I am grateful too. It is just sad that won't be the case for several families. My heart goes out to them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Thanks Susieice. I am grateful too. It is just sad that won't be the case for several families. My heart goes out to them.

Yes. My sincere condolences to all the victims and their families. This is just horrific. It's the second shooting on a major Naval base in two days. I'm glad you were able to speak to him.

So many conflicting reports. Not unusual when news is breaking and law enforcement isn't releasing much of anything. In Pearl Harbor, the shooter was a sailor attached to one of the submarines in dry dock for maintenance. His victims were civilian workers. Two died and one was wounded plus the shooter who killed himself. No word here yet on whether the shooter was military personnel or what the status of his victims were. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Philadelphia news just said two of the wounded are sheriff deputies who were shot in the exchange of gunfire between law enforcement and the shooter. 

• Like 1

They are just releasing the news that the shooter was a member of the Saudi Air Force. He's been identified as Second Lieutenant Mohammad Saeed Alshamrani. Some are calling it an act of terrorism, but the Base Commander has declined to say if it is being investigated as one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/06/us/nas-pensacola-shooting.html

The Governor of Florida is saying there are a lot of questions regarding this person and the FBI is investigating. He says he has also talked to Trump. The Base Commander says many foreign nationals train at Pensacola. Saudi Arabia's King Salman has called Trump to offer condolences. He said the Saudi people are greatly angered by the actions of this shooter and that the shooter does not represent the feeling of the Saudi people.

The shootings occurred within two floors of the Naval Aviation Schools Command Building 663.

The Press Conference in this link says there are 4 deceased, including the shooter, and 11 injured. The conference was from this morning.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pensacola-shooting-today-3-people-killed-shooter-dead-at-florida-navy-base-nas-pensacola-2019-12-06/

Edited by susieice

It sounds like security on the base was far too lax.  How could anyone, let alone a SAUDI male carry a firearm on base, undetected?  Have the Blue on Blue deaths in Afghanistan taught us nothing?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I fail to see anything humorous about these deaths.  Anyone who would laugh about it is a sick bastid.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, and then said:

I fail to see anything humorous about these deaths.  Anyone who would laugh about it is a sick bastid.

Neither do I and then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, and then said:

It sounds like security on the base was far too lax.  How could anyone, let alone a SAUDI male carry a firearm on base, undetected?  Have the Blue on Blue deaths in Afghanistan taught us nothing?

Like the Base Commander said, there are people from all over the world that come train on US military bases. He may have even lived on base. There was no reason to be suspicious up until this morning. At least, nothing that I've read about.

• Like 1

Just now, susieice said:

Like the Base Commander said, there are people from all over the world that come train on US military bases. He may have even lived on base. There was no reason to be suspicious up until this morning. At least, nothing that I've read about.

Unless you're a racist...

• Thanks 1

Just now, Robotic Jew said:

Unless you're a racist...

Don't start chump.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, susieice said:

Don't start chump.

I'm not starting anything...just pointing out that there had been an OBVIOUS and UNQUESTIONABLE racist statement made that you were responding to without acknowledging. 

1 minute ago, Robotic Jew said:

I'm not starting anything...just pointing out that there had been an OBVIOUS and UNQUESTIONABLE racist statement made that you were responding to without acknowledging. 

Listen. People died here. There is no need whatsoever to bring racism into this thread. I think the statement was made in a political content and not racism. There has been no information released to show that this has been an act of terrorism although the question has been raised. That may or may not change in the future.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, and then said:

On most bases you merely drive up and show your military ID to the gate guards. Then they simply wave you through. To bring a gun on base undetected wouldn't be that hard. He no doubt had ID and was allowed on base, even though he obviously bought a weapon with him.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

On most bases you merely drive up and show your military ID to the gate guards. Then they simply wave you through. To bring a gun on base undetected wouldn't be that hard. He no doubt had ID and was allowed on base, even though he obviously bought a weapon with him.

It was the same thing as Pearl Harbor Wednesday night. The shooter was a 22 yr old submariner who had a weapon on base with him. It's now being said he was unhappy with his commanders and had been undergoing counseling.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pensacola-shooting-today-3-people-killed-shooter-dead-at-florida-navy-base-nas-pensacola-2019-12-06/

When we used to go into Nellis Air Force Base we were leadership in some Boy Scout units attached to the base. We just showed ID as civilians but our units usually notified the gate that we were coming. Going into base housing was no problem. Of course, this was years before 9/11. In the press conference, the officials were asked if this man lived on the base and they declined to answer the question. He could have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The shooting attack at Pearl Harbor Wednesday had me spooked quite a bit too when I saw it. There are thousands of people at Pearl Harbor right now, both American and Japanese, who will attend the huge memorials to the people who died in the attack and the US entry into WWII. These memorials happen every December 7th. I wondered myself if that had any effect on why this sailor started shooting when he did, but the motive that's been released shows that isn't the case. And then this right on it's heels. 

https://www.nps.gov/valr/learn/historyculture/national-pearl-harbor-remembrance-day.htm

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Then I'd say it's time to impose new security measures, wouldn't you?  It's like 9-11 never happened.  Take the dufus who calls himself Robotic Jew... he sees an allusion to a national from a country KNOWN for a terror atrocity and what does HE SEE?  RAY SUS!  I see the real world and how those families will now be affected by it.  Would we/do we, train Afghans and give them similar freedom to plan and execute a terror strike on our soil?  The only armed service members on a training base should be security personnel. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, and then said:

Then I'd say it's time to impose new security measures, wouldn't you?  It's like 9-11 never happened.  Take the dufus who calls himself Robotic Jew... he sees an allusion to a national from a country KNOWN for a terror atrocity and what does HE SEE?  RAY SUS!  I see the real world and how those families will now be affected by it.  Would we/do we, train Afghans and give them similar freedom to plan and execute a terror strike on our soil?  The only armed service members on a training base should be security personnel. 

Good to see you coming to your senses and insisting on gun-free zones and disallowing people with any chance of gun violence the ability to own a gun!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Good to see you coming to your senses and insisting on gun-free zones and disallowing people with any chance of gun violence the ability to own a gun!

I don't give a rat's ass what the fundy Islamist does outside that base.  This is a security measure within a secure setting.  I'd be just as happy if everyone were required to be armed at all times.  You are a disgusting SOB to make politics out of these killings.  You anti American POS...

• Thanks 1

there is NO way you can stop a determined guy, to bring a gun, especially if he belongs there,  no effing way, period.  might as well make mandatory for all servicemen to carry sidearms, they are in the military after all.

as saying goes, if you can't beat them, join them

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, and then said:

I don't give a rat's ass what the fundy Islamist does outside that base.  This is a security measure within a secure setting.  I'd be just as happy if everyone were required to be armed at all times.  You are a disgusting SOB to make politics out of these killings.  You anti American POS...

Hmm. And here I thought you were arguing for common-sense Red Flag laws and Gun-Free zones to prevent future events like this.  But I guess you were just bashing fundy Islamists?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Hmm. And here I thought you were arguing for common-sense Red Flag laws and Gun-Free zones to prevent future events like this.  But I guess you were just bashing fundy Islamists?

Gun free zones are the problem not the solution. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Gun free zones are the problem not the solution. :rolleyes:

Not by itself.  But if they didn't work then Trump rallies would be open carry.

The thing that makes me sad about Andthen was that I actually agree with him about there being lots of red flags with letting people with a greater than normal likelyhood of causing terrorist acts to acquire or own guns.  Given cultural attitudes, perhaps it isn't wise to let young Saudi nationals have firearms on US bases.