Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Next Ice Age

OverSword

Then the hole in the ozone got fixed and people started talking about global warming.  :o

• Like 4

Yeah the scaremongering of the 70s was already behind the times as we knew in the 60s* that CO2 emissions would prevent it, and do the opposite, and that was before we gained better understanding of orbital changes and realised the next ice age is actually at least 10,000 years away whatever happens

* well, the US president did ;)  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Essan said:

We gained better understanding of orbital changes and realised the next ice age is actually at least 10,000 years away whatever happens...

Maybe its not orbital change who triggered ice age are whe 100% sure ...

28 minutes ago, Essan said:

Yeah the scaremongering of the 70s was already behind the times as we knew in the 60s* that CO2 emissions would prevent it, and do the opposite, and that was before we gained better understanding of orbital changes and realised the next ice age is actually at least 10,000 years away whatever happens

It was my understanding that global warming will cause the caps to melt which will in turn cause the ocean currents to cool substantially, thereby ushering in a premature ice-age.

So, rather than preventing an ice age, global warming will speed up the process.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

So, rather than preventing an ice age, global warming will speed up the process.

Maybe more a mini ice age not the real thing?

38 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Then the hole in the ozone got fixed and people started talking about global warming. 

We fixed that hole by passing laws, spending money and changing behaviors. 

Lesson from the past:  Dupont and others were militantly opposed to the proposed worldwide CFC ban until they developed the HCFC replacement.   Then they reversed course and began lobbying national governments to enact the ban.  Follow the money.

Oil companies may save us when they become energy companies and have trillions of dollars in wind and solar assets and it becomes as cheap as fracking.  Change their tune they will.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

It was my understanding that global warming will cause the caps to melt which will in turn cause the ocean currents to cool substantially, thereby ushering in a premature ice-age.

That was the trigger on the movie Day After Tomorrow.

49 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Then the hole in the ozone got fixed and people started talking about global warming.  :o

They is a hole in ozone ? I eard about it but i dont know to mutch about it. How mutch time whe have before its the end of the world i mean does all those co2 make the hole bigger is they a link with hurricane they are becoming bigger and maybe soon wrip out our atmosphere in space?

11 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

Maybe more a mini ice age not the real thing?

As it relates to almost every current living species on the planet, it's a distinction without a difference.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

They is a hole in ozone ? I eard about it but i dont know to mutch about it. How mutch time whe have before its the end of the world i mean does all those co2 make the hole bigger is they a link with hurricane they are becoming bigger and maybe soon wrip out our atmosphere in space?

They

eard

mutch

whe

I didn't mean to, but I ended up reading your comment in my head with a Victorian London accent :lol:

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Essan said:

During the 1960s/70s there were papers published that predicted an ice age and other papers that predicted global warming.  There really wasn't such a thing as climate science then, at least, not an organized, integrated discipline.

Doug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That was the trigger on the movie Day After Tomorrow.

Yeah. For all the crap in that film, they based that part on a very real knock-on effect hypothesis.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

I think the link with the larger hurricanes is the slowing of the ocean current that is caused by desalination caused by melting glaciers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Yeah. For all the crap in that film, they based that part on a very real knock-on effect.

We have a club here.  Called the Bad Science Movie Club.  Every week students get together for popcorn and watch a movie with badly-thought-out science.  Like Volcano, Day After Tomorrow, Dante's Peak, Jurassic Park, etc.

Kind of fun.

Doug

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think the link with the larger hurricanes is the slowing of the ocean current that is caused by desalination caused by melting glaciers.

CFCs are also greenhouse gasses.

Doug

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

We have a club here.  Called the Bad Science Movie Club.  Every week students get together for popcorn and watch a movie with badly-thought-out science.  Like Volcano, Day After Tomorrow, Dante's Peak, Jurassic Park, etc.

Kind of fun.

Doug

You should create one for fails in plot logic and then fire on Pearl Harbour. Dumbest film ever made. You'll get weeks of material from that.

37 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

No more ice = no more snow? after the mini ice age.

Edited by The Eternal Flame

49 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Should the Greenland ice cap melt fast enough to cause fresh water to pool on top of sea water, the process that drives ocean currents will shut down.  The fresh water stops the concentration of salt by surface evaporation, so the salty layer doesn't sink and pull warm water northward.  That shuts down the Gulf Stream.  As a result, the winds blowing eastward toward Europe carry cold rather than warm air.  And that means that snow falling in high places doesn't melt each year.  Eventually, the build-up of snow/ice produces glaciers.

AND:  the Gulf Stream has slowed in recent years.

BUT:  that's still an awful lot of ice that has to melt quickly to make this happen.  Doesn't seem likely, but....

Doug

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

It is history.  In a nutshell.  There was a detectable thinning of the ozone  in the atmosphere mainly visible over the poles.  Ozone helps protect the surface from UV radiation.  Apparently it was being depleted by  world wide use of commercial chemicals called CFC's (Chlorofluorocarbons).   They were used in everything from dry cleaning solvents to air conditioner refrigerants because they work so well. The chlorine in those compounds reacted  with ozone tin the atmosphere to change it into other compounds.   Most of the nations in the world were on board to ban use of these chemicals.  Without a replacement, it would have been difficult.  DuPont came up with a more stable replacement.  HCFC's.  Then world wide bans proceeded at a fairly rapid pace.  Over some years, the thinning was reduced significantly.

You can google more about that from CFC's or ozone hole or HCFC's.

One less thing you have to worry about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Emma Thompson suggests climate change may drive people to eat their pets for protein.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Eternal Flame said:

Emma Thompson suggests climate change may drive people to eat their pets for protein.

And replace them with Monkeys!

:lol:

• Haha 2

But seriously l find these discussions pretty funny, Global warming is causing a mini ice age, or the hotter it gets,....or it could just be that the planet is in a cooling phase, and the IPCC, looking like fools are trying to spin this so when the US, or AU mentions the coldest start to summer ever, or the coldest winter, they can spin it so the CCC will swallow it...

But l keep forgetting that we have to take this seriously, sorry but when Micky Mouse tells me there is a climate emergency then l will demand a recount!

^_^

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Eternal Flame said:

Starvation would do that, but as of yet, we haven't had droughts that intense and it looks like it will be a long time before that happens.

However, you bring up a good point.  It is time for science to begin exploring how climate and human institutions interact.  We know the odds on a drought impacting US corn production, for example.  But what happens if the US, Argentina and Africa get hit by simultaneous droughts?  Is there enough grain grown elsewhere to make up the shortfall?  How fast can the world's economies adjust?  We have already had one drought that cut world grain production by 30%; what about next time?

Doug

• Like 4