Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sky-watcher captures red flash on the moon

The Eternal Flame

On December 1, 2019 Peter Lawrence of Thornton, England recorded a strange red flash on the moon. What caused the red flash?

Something exploded on the moon or was it a lunar wave, a hologram or perhaps a glitch in the matrix or something else?

According to atmospheric optics expert Les Cowley “The technical name of this event is a ‘Ducted Mock-mirage Red Flash.’ As the Moon set, it dipped into a strong temperature inversion layer with warm air above cooler ...

https://unreal5blog.wordpress.com/2019/12/07/sky-watcher-captures-strange-red-flash-on-the-moon/

Edited by The Eternal Flame
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 7:21 PM, and then said:

Sometimes we have such a flash of color at sunrise or sunset, here on earth.  Usually it's referred to as the Green Flash.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_flash

Thanks for your comment and then its interesting stuff! :santa:

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing to see here folks...move along.

What about all the Transient Lunar Anomalies (TLAs) on the Moon in the past? The flashes of light on the Moon which have often been seen from Earth? Were they caused by the same atmospheric conditions? Why are some red and some white? Why have some 'things' been seen passing across the lit face of the Moon? Earth orbit satellites, aeroplanes? Possibly, but also possibly not.

1 hour ago, ocpaul20 said:

Nothing to see here folks...move along.

What about all the Transient Lunar Anomalies (TLAs) on the Moon in the past? The flashes of light on the Moon which have often been seen from Earth? Were they caused by the same atmospheric conditions? Why are some red and some white? Why have some 'things' been seen passing across the lit face of the Moon? Earth orbit satellites, aeroplanes? Possibly, but also possibly not.

Well, they couldn't possibly be meteor and meteor strikes - there's no sign of that ever happening in the past.  :rolleyes:

And identified things like satellites, the ISS and planes are never spotted traversing the moon either....

From here, a shot by the remarkable Thierry Legault:
legault_iss_moon.jpg

Hmmm.  It's strange ... the better the astronomer, the less that remains unidentified.

On 12/8/2019 at 7:29 AM, The Eternal Flame said:

On December 1, 2019 Peter Lawrence of Thornton, England recorded a strange red flash on the moon. What caused the red flash?

Something exploded on the moon or was it a lunar wave, a hologram or perhaps a glitch in the matrix or something else?

According to atmospheric optics expert Les Cowley “The technical name of this event is a ‘Ducted Mock-mirage Red Flash.’ As the Moon set, it dipped into a strong temperature inversion layer with warm air above cooler ...

https://unreal5blog.wordpress.com/2019/12/07/sky-watcher-captures-strange-red-flash-on-the-moon/

Sorry I'm buying it, the Moon is located in Space, it doesn't have an atmosphere, however there are a very thin layer of gases on the moons surface call an exosphere however this doesn't effect temperatures on the Moon. How could the moon setting hit a different temperature gradient where warm and cooler air would meet. The Moons sets according to the moons orbits around the Earth, it takes approximately 27.4 days for the Moon to make a single orbit. Something is rotten in Denmark, the experts comments don't make sense.

Edited by Manwon Lender

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Sorry I'm buying it, the Moon is located in Space, it doesn't have an atmosphere, however there are a very thin layer of gases on the moons surface call an exosphere however this doesn't effect temperatures on the Moon. How could the moon setting hit a different temperature gradient where warm and cooler air would meet. The Moons sets according to the moons orbits around the Earth, it takes approximately 27.4 days for the Moon to make a single orbit. Something is rotten in Denmark, the experts comments don't make sense.

But the telescope/observer is under earth's atmosphere, and that's where the effect happens.  It's not at the moon, it's here..

2 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

But the telescope/observer is under earth's atmosphere, and that's where the effect happens.  It's not at the moon, it's here..

Please explain how. 

...Besides a small atmospheric anomaly here would appear huge on the Moon and cover most if not all of the distant location. I too say the official explanation is a stretch for the imagination.

5 hours ago, ocpaul20 said:

...Besides a small atmospheric anomaly here would appear huge on the Moon and cover most if not all of the distant location. I too say the official explanation is a stretch for the imagination.

Not true. May I suggest you google the phenomenon "green flash". This is an often observed atmospheric phenomenon seen during sunset. If your post was correct (and it really, REALLY, isn't) the green flash phenomenon would be impossible. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Please explain how. 

It's the same distortion that you get when the sun is very low to the horizon and there are heat inversion layers.  The image distorts and breaks up.

Like this - invert this image in your head and compare it to what was shown in the OP:

BBUF8l6.img?m=1&b=black&w=918&h=516&f=jp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/science/how-to-catch-a-green-flash-a-rare-sunset-phenomenon/vi-BBUF8l9

4 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

It's the same distortion that you get when the sun is very low to the horizon and there are heat inversion layers.  The image distorts and breaks up.

Like this - invert this image in your head and compare it to what was shown in the OP:

BBUF8l6.img?m=1&b=black&w=918&h=516&f=jp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/science/how-to-catch-a-green-flash-a-rare-sunset-phenomenon/vi-BBUF8l9

Hey Chris, thanks for taking the time to link the above for me I do appreciate it. However, I still do not beleive that is the cause of a red flash on the moon for the following reasons. 

First:  It makes sense in the photo you provided because the Sun produces heat and Solar Radiation, so I can understand the Radiant inversion caused as the Sun Sets. 

Second:  The same reaction that is possible when the Sun sets, can not be explained in the same manner because the Moon produces no heat of its own. So a Solar reflection bounced off the Moon, and then back to the Earth could not create the Temperature gradient that was stated in the link provided, so the flash on the Moon could not be caused by a shift in temperature, as stated in the link.

Third: In my opinion according to the presented evidence, I think it was more than likely a Meteor that exploded upon impact with the Moons surface. These type of impacts have been observed many times in the past and result in Bright Red Flash that only lasts for seconds. In addition since the moon has no atmosphere and there is no oxygen there there would be not be a shooting star effect lighting up until impact, in fact there would be nothing until impact occurred. Below is some information from the link I proved this information is coming from NASA, along with the link.

Footnote: (1)  The Moon has no oxygen atmosphere, so how can something explode? Lunar meteors don't require oxygen or combustion to make themselves visible.  They hit the ground with so much kinetic energy that even a pebble can make a crater several feet wide.  The flash of light comes not from combustion but rather from the thermal glow of molten rock and hot vapors at the impact site.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2013/16may_lunarimpact

Chris I beleive this is what caused the Red Flash being discussed here, it's a common ocurance and these impacts can be seen with the naked clearly. In addition they make a Bright or Dull red flash when they occur. Check out the link above you may be surprised at how powerful these impacts can be.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender

Manwon, the temperature inversion effect has nothing to do with the light source, be it Sun or Moon.  It's that same effect when you see mirages here on earth, caused by layers in our atmosphere bending the light.

You're over complicating this...

Did you actually look at the image in question?  Here's the actual picture:

Sky-watcher captures strange red flash on the Moon

That's NOT a meteorite impact - the flashes that accompany those are usually very bright from the heat generated by the impact, and they are always very brief.

There's even an animated image to show very clearly that this is just atmospheric distortion - just like the sunset example I gave:

redflash_anim.gif

from https://www.sightings.info/2019/12/07/sky-watcher-captures-strange-red-flash-on-the-moon/

Edited by ChrLzs

2 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Manwon, the temperature inversion effect has nothing to do with the light source, be it Sun or Moon.  It's that same effect when you see mirages here on earth, caused by layers in our atmosphere bending the light.

You're over complicating this...

Did you actually look at the image in question?  Here's the actual picture:

Sky-watcher captures strange red flash on the Moon

That's NOT a meteorite impact - the flashes that accompany those are usually very bright from the heat generated by the impact, and they are always very brief.

There's even an animated image to show very clearly that this is just atmospheric distortion - just like the sunset example I gave:

redflash_anim.gif

from https://www.sightings.info/2019/12/07/sky-watcher-captures-strange-red-flash-on-the-moon/

Chris below you said the Temperature Inversion effect has nothing to do with the light source. Below your comments the optic expert said that the ducting directly occurs due to strong Temperature Inversion that bends light rays causing the effect. I have looked at the photos and the comments, from both you and the site. I not saying that the pictured effect in the first photo couldn't happen, I just don't think it's the case in this situation. It doesn't say how long the effect lasted or any other information proves that is the answer. So, partner we will have to agree to disagree.

You said:  Manwon, the temperature inversion effect has nothing to do with the light source, be it Sun or Moon.  It's that same effect when you see mirages here on earth, caused by layers in our atmosphere bending the light. 

The link above said:  According to atmospheric optics expert Les Cowley “The technical name of this event is a ‘Ducted Mock-mirage Red Flash.’ As the Moon set, it dipped into a strong temperature inversion layer with warm air above cooler air – light rays bend when they cross the layers, in this case strongly enough that ‘ducting’ occurs — that is, the rays bounce up and down, trapped in an optical duct”, reports space-weather.

Heres another copy of the above link.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 1

Something that crashes into the Moon, produces a bright flash and leaves a crater behind should be observable from Earth or by one of the satellites orbiting the Moon. It would be simple for some who do the skywatching to correllate the two and to give us photographs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 11:26 PM, Manwon Lender said:

Chris below you said the Temperature Inversion effect has nothing to do with the light source. Below your comments the optic expert said that the ducting directly occurs due to strong Temperature Inversion that bends light rays causing the effect. I have looked at the photos and the comments, from both you and the site. I not saying that the pictured effect in the first photo couldn't happen, I just don't think it's the case in this situation. It doesn't say how long the effect lasted or any other information proves that is the answer. So, partner we will have to agree to disagree.

You said:  Manwon, the temperature inversion effect has nothing to do with the light source, be it Sun or Moon.  It's that same effect when you see mirages here on earth, caused by layers in our atmosphere bending the light. 

The link above said:  According to atmospheric optics expert Les Cowley “The technical name of this event is a ‘Ducted Mock-mirage Red Flash.’ As the Moon set, it dipped into a strong temperature inversion layer with warm air above cooler air – light rays bend when they cross the layers, in this case strongly enough that ‘ducting’ occurs — that is, the rays bounce up and down, trapped in an optical duct”, reports space-weather.

Heres another copy of the above link.

This explains it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Pretty obvious when you look at the animation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moonman said:

This explains it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Pretty obvious when you look at the animation.

I really think it does, even though no one but you seems to agree with me. It's hard for some people to think outside the box, and to take the time to examine what is being presented. Most people it seems just go with whatever they are told, without even taking the time to think about what may be happening. Well I am not now or will I ever be one of those people.

Peace.