Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia’s civil rights rating downgraded

Eldorado

"The world is becoming less free and, in Asia, almost nobody lives in a country where civil rights are not being eroded or repressed, a new civil rights report has found.

"And the 2019 CIVICUS Monitor, a global research collaboration that tracks fundamental freedoms in 196 countries, has downgraded Australia from an “open” country to one where civil space has “narrowed”, citing new laws to expand government surveillance, prosecution of whistleblowers, and raids on media organisations.

"Human rights organisations have again argued Australia needs a bill of rights to prevent government repression of fundamental human rights."

Full report a the UK Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/07/australias-civil-rights-rating-downgraded-as-report-finds-world-becoming-less-free

"“Powerful politicians and their corporate backers don’t always respect the rights of individual people or communities. We need to create an Australian Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms to help level the playing field,” said Mr Clarke."

Full monty at the Australian HRLC: https://www.hrlc.org.au/news/2019/12/5/downgrading-of-australias-open-democracy-status-a-stark-reminder-of-the-need-to-create-an-australian-charter-of-human-rights-and-freedoms

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sing it with Vera boys and girls... 

[00.01:47]

~

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, jypsijemini said:

AMEN :tsu::clap:

Unsure of what your stance is?

• Haha 1

Who’d have thought that a government that sends the Federal Police to raid the public broadcaster for broadcasting things the government doesn’t want broadcast  would oversee such a drop in freedom.

ScumMo: How good is fascism?

• Like 3

Ohh, and I’m sure some of the American brethren her would approve, thr laws that allow the government to de-register any union that “impacts on a business’ productivity”, so basically any union that blows the whistle and calls a strike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Ohh, and I’m sure some of the American brethren her would approve, thr laws that allow the government to de-register any union that “impacts on a business’ productivity”, so basically any union that blows the whistle and calls a strike.

Can you source it?

not saying you are wrong. I just never heard of it.

Edited by spartan max2

29 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Who’d have thought that a government that sends the Federal Police to raid the public broadcaster for broadcasting things the government doesn’t want broadcast  would oversee such a drop in freedom.

ScumMo: How good is fascism?

We're classed as "narrowed".  With Malta, we've joined our mates in group that includes USA, UK, France, Spain, Italy and Japan.

Do you want to be like New Zealand and Taiwan?

46 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Unsure of what your stance is?

I'm Australian and think it'd be a fantastic idea to have an Australian Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms.

Just recently, every newspaper banded together across the country and covered Australian media censorship imposed on them by the Australian Government. It was also featured on TV, radio and social media.

We're being left in the dark on matters which directly affect us. Our leadership, who we appointed to office and trust with the governance of our country, think it's okay to withhold information from the public and keep matters to themselves. And further, they now have the legislation which allows them to prosecute journalists who they deem to be "whistleblowing" on matters they would rather not share with the Australian public. Matters which are not in the interest of national security. They're trying to prevent alarm and concern in areas like nursing home abuse and crimes committed in the military (if I understood the article correctly. I was at work so I only got to briefly glance through a couple articles when they were run.)

It's become a national media campaign under the title #righttoknow

"The move aims to push the Federal Government into lifting its veil of secrecy. It follows the passing of about 75 laws related to secrecy and spying over the past two decades which effectively criminalise journalism and penalise whistleblowing, even when they reveal wrongdoing or important information about decisions the government is making. This is information that Australians have a right to know."

So far as I understand, they're not asking the government to give them the licence to report on sensitive information. The main concern is that there is no legislation currently available that prevents the Australian Government from deeming any issue as a exclusively government-only issue.

https://campaignbrief.com/media-asks-whats-the-government-hiding-in-landmark-rightoknow-campaign/

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jypsijemini said:

I'm Australian and think it'd be a fantastic idea to have an Australian Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms.

Just recently, every newspaper banded together across the country and covered Australian media censorship imposed on them by the Australian Government. It was also featured on TV, radio and social media.

We're being left in the dark on matters which directly affect us. Our leadership, who we appointed to office and trust with the governance of our country, think it's okay to withhold information from the public and keep matters to themselves. And further, they now have the legislation which allows them to prosecute journalists who they deem to be "whistleblowing" on matters they would rather not share with the Australian public. Matters which are not in the interest of national security. They're trying to prevent alarm and concern in areas like nursing home abuse and crimes committed in the military (if I understood the article correctly. I was at work so I only got to briefly glance through a couple articles when they were run.)

It's become a national media campaign under the title #righttoknow

"The move aims to push the Federal Government into lifting its veil of secrecy. It follows the passing of about 75 laws related to secrecy and spying over the past two decades which effectively criminalise journalism and penalise whistleblowing, even when they reveal wrongdoing or important information about decisions the government is making. This is information that Australians have a right to know."

So far as I understand, they're not asking the government to give them the licence to report on sensitive information. The main concern is that there is no legislation currently available that prevents the Australian Government from deeming any issue as a exclusively government-only issue.

https://campaignbrief.com/media-asks-whats-the-government-hiding-in-landmark-rightoknow-campaign/

Thanks, I'm in the U.S so I'm typically unaware of Australian politics. 

That definitely sounds like creeping authoritarianism though.

I wish you guys success of your effort.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1