Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plants 'scream' when stressed out, study find

UM-Bot

im not surprised we've known for years our cousins the trees communicate to one another.

thats why its sad to see solitary trees especially the old English oak trees who could be 400 to 1000+ years old and not spoken to another tree for hundreds of years. 

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vox said:

If plants are screaming out when hurt, what are vegans going to eat?

A actual recording in the human range is needed. That way we can blast it at vegans. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, stevewinn said:

im not surprised we've known for years our cousins the trees communicate to one another.

thats why its sad to see solitary trees especially the old English oak trees who could be 400 to 1000+ years old and not spoken to another tree for hundreds of years. 

Yes I agree Steve, it is always sad to see solitary trees in paddocks, like a solitary dolphin in a tank .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some of the comments, wow :rolleyes:

People need to be a little more logical and exercise some critical thinking...

Exactly what purpose would this human interpreted as a "scream" sound do if no one can naturally hear it. No type of life form (and that includes non sentient plant life) would evolve a trait that their supposed harmer would not hear, DUH! However all the sentient animals who are needlessly subjected to horrific violence for the completely needless consumption of their bodies do scream, and loudly too, but sadly their screams also are not heard... not by those who consume their remains anyway, because that part is hidden away so we can pretend we are a civilized society.

By the way, far more plants are fed to the animals who are eaten, so if plants are "screaming" those that eat the remains of sentient animals are also harming massive amount of plants, more so than any vegan.

Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

• Thanks 1

The smell of cut grass is a chemical distress signal from the cut grass, we might not hear plants scream but we can smell their distress. 

• Like 1

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/30573/what-causes-fresh-cut-grass-smell

Trauma, that’s what. It’s the smell of chemical defenses and first aid. The fresh, “green” scent of a just-mowed lawn is the lawn trying to save itself from the injury you just inflicted.

Leafy plants release a number of volatile organic compounds called green leaf volatiles (GLVs). When the plants are injured, whether through animals grazing on them, you cutting or mowing them, or even just unintentionally rough handling, these emissions increase like crazy.

9 hours ago, Ozfactor said:

The smell of cut grass is a chemical distress signal from the cut grass, we might not hear plants scream but we can smell their distress. 

I wonder if my apple tree thinks I'm kidnapping her babies when I pick them.:lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ozfactor said:

Oh my God, you mass murderer.

You`re worse than Hitler!

• Haha 1