Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Expedition Bigfoot' to track down Sasquatch

UM-Bot

On 12/9/2019 at 8:22 PM, Hammerclaw said:

Hi! We're going out in the woods to find bigfoot and we're taking a whole film crew with us. *Sigh*. Hope one of the guys there with guns to guard against bears doesn't trip and accidentally shoot some guy over on the next ridge named Meldrum in the ****.

I would actually watch a show that was a bunch of bigfoot "hunters" tripping over crap and getting injured in the woods. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 6:50 AM, Guyver said:

I’m watching the first episode now.  It is similar to other shows like it that have been done before.  It reminds me of the Autumn Williams show that was done a couple decades ago.  They have enough budget to be using some pretty sophisticated  equipment.  It seems like it’s worth watching if you are into such things.  They have at least one piece of evidence in the form of a thermal image film of what they consider to be a sasquatch.

Yes, some of those episodes are really good. I think this one is one of the best.

Edited by Ultimatium

On 12/28/2019 at 10:20 AM, Ultimatium said:

Yes, some of those episodes are really good. I think this one is one of the best.

Seems like the same old junk.   Claiming something is bigfoot when it could be any number of things.  

• Like 1

So...what does everyone think of the 'nest' , the shelter made supposedly by bigfoot ? There have been many found by others in different places.

They have taken environmental DNA samples too. Perhaps that will give us more conclusive evidence (most likely not though).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ocpaul20 said:

So...what does everyone think of the 'nest' , the shelter made supposedly by bigfoot ? There have been many found by others in different places.

They have taken environmental DNA samples too. Perhaps that will give us more conclusive evidence (most likely not though).

If a real bigfoot nest was found there would be a 100% chance of finding hair.

A creature, covered from head to toe in fur, couldn't help but lose some hairs.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

If a real bigfoot nest was found there would be a 100% chance of finding hair.

A creature, covered from head to toe in fur, couldn't help but lose some hairs.

Well, they did find some hair samples, but most of them turned out to be from various other animals.

1 hour ago, Ultimatium said:

Well, they did find some hair samples, but most of them turned out to be from various other animals.

More importantly, none of them turned out to be novel primate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the viewing of the hair samples (one found on the ground and one found in a birds nest) by Dr Meldrum who is supposed to be the current scientist expert on Bigfoot.

The hairs are supposed to be unlike bear and deer and are supposed to have a wide middle core (medulla) with very little outside (cortex)  which makes it difficult to get DNA from it I believe. They sent the second sample away for further testing due to Dr Meldrum's inability to identify it.

I think they have not told us about the eDNA collected from the ground in the nest yet, but I agree, there should be hairs in there and they should be able to find many samples if they looked properly - but they didn't. It does look as if they either do not want to find out or else they have another agenda (string us along to make money?).

Sad really, as the scientist woman has been studying gorillas and been out in jungles doing research. I think she may have just trashed her career as a scientist and I dont know why she didn't  collect proper hair samples from the nest. Maybe they just wanted to use a new eDNA analysis to show us they were using latest technology.

I was pretty disappointed in this show.  I was hoping it would be a show where they take a more scientific approach.    Instead it is just another "Oh!   I hear something, it must be bigfoot" show.  

• Like 1

Jeff meldrum's study is certainly interesting. It's also worth noting, that many of the footprints found by meldrum and others share a similar characteristic, a midtarsal break found on primates.

11 hours ago, ocpaul20 said:

From the viewing of the hair samples (one found on the ground and one found in a birds nest) by Dr Meldrum who is supposed to be the current scientist expert on Bigfoot....

How does one become an expert on something that has not been proven to even exist? Because he read stuff? Or was it that he went camping and "took samples" (all inconclusive or another animal). It seems its just that he's the most versed on his favorite hobby or pastime.

I mean I guess that makes me the current scientist expert on lightsabers.:P

4 hours ago, Ultimatium said:

Jeff meldrum's study is certainly interesting. It's also worth noting, that many of the footprints found by meldrum and others share a similar characteristic, a midtarsal break found on primates.

Yet, there's no evidence in the fossil record of the region of primates as described existing. I will also add no evidence or a breeding population of such animals.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2020 at 6:12 AM, Ultimatium said:

which episode did they find this? As far as I am aware we have only got to episode number 4. Maybe it was reported in the papers?

I honestly do not think there is a strong case to be made these days for a bigfoot in North America... these shows exemplify that because they have to dramatise twigs snapping and weird noises (well maybe weird to people who have never lived in the woods lol) to keep viewers. I think if there are such creatures it is much more likely they occur in very seldom visited places, like at elevation in third world countries.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

They sent there 6' 200lb. tracker guy over there for a size comparison the next night and this blob was 25% taller and easily over twice as wide, and it was naked thus the bright heat signature. If it was real then it was a bigfoot, but  there's a lot of motivation to fake this, TV shows are lucrative.

PS- Laugh away but a friend and I saw a fleeting glimpse of a tall hairy ?? something on 2 legs dive behind a large fallen tree as we rounded a bend hiking in the woods up here in Washington state by Mt. St Helens. It was straight below us 100 yards in heavy woods. We both seen it but it was fast and gone without hearing so much as a twig snap. 

We dont know what it was but it happened.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, studmeister said:

They sent there 6' 200lb. tracker guy over there for a size comparison the next night and this blob was 25% taller and easily over twice as wide, and it was naked thus the bright heat signature. If it was real then it was a bigfoot, but  there's a lot of motivation to fake this, TV shows are lucrative.

PS- Laugh away but a friend and I saw a fleeting glimpse of a tall hairy ?? something on 2 legs dive behind a large fallen tree as we rounded a bend hiking in the woods up here in Washington state by Mt. St Helens. It was straight below us 100 yards in heavy woods. We both seen it but it was fast and gone without hearing so much as a twig snap. 

We dont know what it was but it happened.

A prepper that wasn't properly prepped ?

So I have watched to episode 7 of 8 and I am still disappointed about the lack of follow-through. If it is a fake show, then they are just jumping on the Finding Bigfoot bandwagon but if they really want to make an impact and find out what is out there, then they have to make more effort.

OK, so episode 7 is interesting. Dont read further if you need to watch Episode 7 later.

They see orbs in the trees in E06 and continue in E07 but they don't go to investigate. They just stand there and discuss it academically.
They see hot thermal hits and they dont look up in the trees to see if BF has climbed a tree. The IR signature is obviously between the camera and the ground or at least on the ground, but they find nothing. Just a bunch of ...wallys.
They see a huge IR signature on the ground and all three of them go to see what it is. Nothing.
They see an old shack with a collarbone in there on the ground. What do they do...nothing.

Why not leave someone monitoring the IR camera to find out what happens to the IR hit or if there are any more. It all seems a little amateur to me. For a 'science' expedition, they should be investigating more.

Maybe they should get someone like Josh Gates to go out with them. Someone who has the courage to run after the things they see.

In the final one, they send a drone into a cave rather than go in themselves.

So they made 8 episodes about finding a bigfoot ? That's what I call "padding out". I like stories where the ending isn't a foregone conclusion, myself.

Sadly, a lot of the so called bigfoot shows nowadays are not worth watching. Some of the best shows were made many years ago, long before we had people running around in the forest and making weird noises, while claiming to be bigfoot investigators.

Edited by Ultimatium

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:50 AM, Guyver said:

I’m watching the first episode now...They have enough budget to be using some pretty sophisticated  equipment..

Regarding equipment, it's worth remembering that we ordinary joes can buy night vision scopes if we want to do some investigating ourselves. For example I bought myself this one for  200 GB pounds  (240 US dollars) and as I live only 5 miles from Dartmoor I plan to go up there with it this coming summer. Send out search parties if I don't return..:D 

(For the record it's the "image intensifier" type relying on ambient light from the moon or stars to brighten up what you're looking at.(It can't pick up thermal body heat). It's also got a small short-range infra-red lamp to further brighten up things at the bottom of your garden.)

hawke1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crikey said:

Regarding equipment, it's worth remembering that we ordinary joes can buy night vision scopes if we want to do some investigating ourselves. For example I bought myself this one for  200 GB pounds  (240 US dollars) and as I live only 5 miles from Dartmoor I plan to go up there with it this coming summer. Send out search parties if I don't return..:D 

(For the record it's the "image intensifier" type relying on ambient light from the moon or stars to brighten up what you're looking at.(It can't pick up thermal body heat). It's also got a small short-range infra-red lamp to further brighten up things at the bottom of your garden.)

hawke1.jpg

Thermal imaging cameras are also very affordable.   You can get one for under $200.  

With all the tech available to us all now, It's a little silly that an expedition like this could not find it.   I think it is entertainment and all they are finding are planted items. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

Thermal imaging cameras are also very affordable.   You can get one for under $200.  

With all the tech available to us all now, It's a little silly that an expedition like this could not find it.   I think it is entertainment and all they are finding are planted items. 

Thanks, I might buy myself a thermal job..;)

Yes regarding investigators the temptation to fake things must be irresistible to ensure the big-paying TV networks pick up the show for another series.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crikey said:

Maybe you can buy an IR camera light to enhance it and see further. I dont know how easy it would be to hook a battery and hand-held casing up to these, but I would guess it is pretty easy. I believe the 850nm IR LEDS are the ones which glow slightly in the dark due to light and the 940nm IR LEDS are the ones which do not glow but also are not as powerful projecting their light so those are the options.

This kind of thing perhaps

You might catch the big cat of Dartmoor.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crikey said:

hawke1.jpg

Excellent!  Good luck with it.  That’s what I did when I was interested in searching this phenomenon for myself.  First I went to the Indian Heaven Wilderness in Washington where many reported encounters occurred, and worked my way north toward St. Helens.  Bought the best technology I could afford at the time and had quite an experience.

• Like 1

I wonder how many have been killed by bears, looking for Bigfoot. Maybe the bears finished off Bigfoot as well !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

I wonder how many have been killed by bears, looking for Bigfoot. Maybe the bears finished off Bigfoot as well !

What?