Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can dogs smell the passage of time ?

UM-Bot

Dogs do have a sense of time.  And I don't think smell has anything to do with the dog arriving at the train statiion when the owner returns.  I had a dog who knew when I was coming home, and it wasn't smell because he would go to the door 5 minutes before my car pulled in to the driveway and once my friend was visiting and I went to rent a van and he did the same thing even though I was not in my own car and the timing had nothing to do with my regular schedule.  Something else is involved that most people ignore or will not accept.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Dogs do have a sense of time.  And I don't think smell has anything to do with the dog arriving at the train statiion when the owner returns.  I had a dog who knew when I was coming home, and it wasn't smell because he would go to the door 5 minutes before my car pulled in to the driveway and once my friend was visiting and I went to rent a van and he did the same thing even though I was not in my own car and the timing had nothing to do with my regular schedule.  Something else is involved that most people ignore or will not accept.

I agree totally something else is involved.

• Like 1

This article is just plain idiotic! They think dogs can't tell what time of day it is? This hardly relates to smell. I know what time it is when i get up because there are shifts in traffic, daylight etc that cue me thats it time to get my son to school. I am sure other than daylight it is easy for a dog to know when someone will be there based on cues... Especially when they come at the same time every day! Especially especially at a train station with a regular schedule. Give me a break...

Also i agree with desertrat, people dont accept yet that thoughts and relationships are energy manifestations and facilitate actual communication... It's kind of like when i always try to answer the phone the minute before it rings, or know who it is even if its not on schedule. Nothing to do with smell.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 3

My dogs always go to the door and sit when my wife is about to come home. I had assumed that it was just that they were somehow aware of what time she should be getting home until they went to the door one day in the middle of the day. My wife had got off work early and was coming home three hours earlier than normal. Not a clue as to how they knew. I didn't even know so they didn't pick it up from me.

• Like 2

It's just that dogs have not been deprogrammed to their senses like most humans.We notice this in dogs as they are close to us but I believe the more simple the lifeform,the more aware it is to its surroundings and intuition.I had a pitbull that knew when my partner was having a seizure,whether in the home,10km away or one time interstate.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

This article is just plain idiotic! They think dogs can't tell what time of day it is? This hardly relates to smell. I know what time it is when i get up because there are shifts in traffic, daylight etc that cue me thats it time to get my son to school. I am sure other than daylight it is easy for a dog to know when someone will be there based on cues... Especially when they come at the same time every day! Especially especially at a train station with a regular schedule. Give me a break...

Also i agree with desertrat, people dont accept yet that thoughts and relationships are energy manifestations and facilitate actual communication... It's kind of like when i always try to answer the phone the minute before it rings, or know who it is even if its not on schedule. Nothing to do with smell.

Dogs have a richer sense of smell.  You might recognise the smell of a baked cake.  Dogs will recognise the ingredients.  

I couldn't discount the effect of sunlight on environment and that various odours that would generate.  There are chemical reactions triggered by sunlight in the environment.

Still it just cues as you mentioned.

Edited by Golden Duck

It's just Sheldrakes crap rehashed isn't it? @ChrLzs did a thread in the book I think. 

Wierd how woo proponents continue to attempt to prop up failed theories.

• Sad 1

I can smell the passage of time. If my dog takes a dump inside while I'm at work I can smell it when I walk in the door.

• Haha 1

I can do this. Somehow I know with my family is coming home and when they are close. It's almost like I hear the car, but there's no way that's possible.

• 4 weeks later...