Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China burning books. Picture emerged

spartan max2

Nationwide cull of books.

Social media pic of library burning books causes a backlash. The pic is now tooken down. Pic in link.

A county library in north-western China has been criticised for burning books in line with a nationwide cull of “illegal” or “improper” materials used in school libraries.

Reports and photos of two women burning a pile of books outside the Zhenyuan county library in Gansu province emerged at the weekend. According to Chinese media, an article on the county’s website detailed a “removal and destruction” cleanup at the end of October, focusing on illegal, religious, and biased books.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/09/book-burning-by-chinese-county-library-sparks-fury

The culling policy. Oh boy, ain't this just dandy.

Earlier in October, the ministry of education had ordered all primary and secondary schools to “firmly cleanse” their libraries of reading material deemed illegal, improper or outdated as part of efforts to “create a healthy and safe environment for education”.

The ministry of education directive orders the removal of books and other reading material that endanger national security, harm social stability or national honour. Books that promote superstition, illegal religious activities, or “incorrect global outlook and values” should also be culled

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Nationwide cull of books.

Social media pic of library burning books causes a backlash. The pic is now tooken down. Pic in link.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/09/book-burning-by-chinese-county-library-sparks-fury

The culling policy. Oh boy, ain't this just dandy.

It's starting to look like the policies in China are going back to their previous ways, under hardcore Communism. You no what they say first they burn books and then they burn people.

This really sucks:no:

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

It's starting to look like the policies in China are going back to their previous ways, under hardcore Communism. You no what they say first they burn books and they burn people.

This really sucks:no:

I'm a little hopeful because it looks there was a small backlash in China itself. Maybe it's people will draw the line at book burning.

Thought CCP rules with an iron fist so who knows if it will matter. They can silence whoever they want.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm a little hopeful because it looks there was a small backlash in China itself. Maybe it's people will draw the line at book burning.

Thought CCP rules with an iron fist so who knows if it will matter. They can silence whoever they want.

It seems to me that when ever a country rules with an Iron Fist and can silence whoever they want, there is nothing to stop them  from going farther. Let's just hope they don't go any farther.

• Like 3

I hope it included The Scofield Reference Bible, every Watchtower book, every Scientology book, The Book of Mormon, The Urantia Papers everything written by a Theosophist, a Falun Freak,  Edgar Cayce, Graham Hancock ,Frank Joseph Collin and every other racist or bias fringe lunatic and fake healer making crap up. :tu:.

In 'God Emperor of Dune' Leto II burned every false history book and every liar who wrote them on top of the pile.

I thought *My man!!!!*

Lies are harmful and pushing them is not "freedom of speech". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

"Where they have burned books, they will end in burning human beings.”

Heinrich Heine

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

Are you wise enough to always know the difference?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, and then said:

Are you wise enough to always know the difference?  

It's a matter of decent research. Prove they are a lie and burn them. 

Cultural differences. As a Kiimochknii and Iilaa it would be my job to hunt false prophets and fake healers if we still followed all traditions. During the "Cultural Cleanup" one of my predecessors and a ancestor of my son's, Mbiiaataa burned dozens. 

• Like 2

In the short term, burning all books you want removed from reality seems a good thing. But, in a generation, when someone else comes up with the ideas and finds it nowhere to study, it becomes the new wonder and amazing all over again.

Removing what you do not agree with prevents anyone from studying it and coming to the same conclusion you did.

Burning books you don't like makes the illicit copies suddenly on level with the Bible in value.

Burning books removes the choice from others. It removes a child's ability to try and learn fiction from non-fiction. 

I don't support it, even to be rid of a few things I wish were never written.

History? Always written by the victors, hence why it repeats too often.

JMO.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Piney said:

I hope it included The Scofield Reference Bible, every Watchtower book, every Scientology book, The Book of Mormon, The Urantia Papers everything written by a Theosophist, a Falun Freak,  Edgar Cayce, Graham Hancock ,Frank Joseph Collin and every other racist or bias fringe lunatic and fake healer making crap up. :tu:.

In 'God Emperor of Dune' Leto II burned every false history book and every liar who wrote them on top of the pile.

I thought *My man!!!!*

You are literally defending the burning of books now.....

Wow dude...

Also, Books that "include incorrect global outlook and values" and "biased".

All above belt I'm sure :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

You are literally defending the burning of books now.....

Wow dude...

Also, Books that "include incorrect global outlook and values" and "biased".

All above belt I'm sure :rolleyes:

Depends on the "values" and "biases"

Like I said, cultural differences. I was raised "lies are harmful and must be nipped in the bud".

How much damage has fringe religion, revisionist history and alternative medicine done? Yet Americans allow it.

I just found a alternative autism treatment in PA where they are hooking up the kids to this useless device, yet I couldn't get them shut down. 

Edited by Piney
Urantia is Dreck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Depends on the "values" and "biases"

Like I said, cultural differences. I was raised "lies are harmful and must be nipped in the bud".

How much damage ha fringe religion, revisionist history and alternative medicine done? Yet Americans allow it.

I just found a alternative autism treatment in PA where they are hooking up the kids to this useless device, yet I couldn't get them shut down. 

Burning books has never lead to any positive outcomes. Suppressing knowledge is harmful. The Nazis had a grand time doing it. The Soviet Union did it. It's about control and indoctrination.

I can't believe I'm arguing with someone about how burning books is bad.

Also you romanticized the book burning to somehow only be things you strongly disagree with, as if that even somehow justifies it.

Ignoring the obvious political censorship involved. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Ignoring the obvious political censorship involved. 

What political ideologies? Racial superiority Turanism/ Nazism/ Aryanism (The Indian and Iranian kind)?  

I'm throwing in another cultural perspective. Americans have this idea that everybody should think and act like them.

The world doesn't revolve around them or work that way....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Piney said:

What political ideologies? Racial superiority Turanism/ Nazism/ Aryanism (The Indian and Iranian kind)?  

I'm throwing in another cultural perspective. Americans have this idea that everybody should think and act like them.

The world doesn't revolve around them or work that way....

I believe people have human rights that are inherent to being human. That does not change based upon what race you are or what goverment you live under.

Just because China is a different country dosent mean it's free from critism. 

That's the same logic an abuser uses when someone calls the cops on him for beating his wife.

They use a internet firewall to control what's on the internet, they use a state ran Media, they ban movies, games, musicians, they ban all but one political party, they don't let people vote, they jail journalist, authors, politicians, are rolling out a social credit system to further control people, trys to threaten activist and dissidents abroad through their families, dissidents of any stripe, try to interfer in Tiawan, South Korea, and others elections.  and now are literally burning books. 

They clearly want to force their people to think one way.

And that's even excluding the reeducation camps, if we accept your defense that the reeducation camps are not bad. 

But it's fine because it's "a different culture".

They are burning books of dissident like the Nazis burned book and like the Soviets burned books.

Edit: forgot to add Xi's abolishment of term limits.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Piney said:

It's a matter of decent research. Prove they are a lie and burn them. 

Cultural differences. As a Kiimochknii and Iilaa it would be my job to hunt false prophets and fake healers if we still followed all traditions. During the "Cultural Cleanup" one of my predecessors and a ancestor of my son's, Mbiiaataa burned dozens. 

Where a government can suppress knowledge, whether of truth or not, then it will tend to continue to remove anything that gets in the way of its control over people's minds.  The way to destroy false information or destructive writings is by MORE writings that PROVE they are false and destructive, not by trying to hide, shame or destroy the texts.  As Not A Rockstar said, in time it will eventually lend those ideas currency again in a new generation.  

Use truth to destroy lies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

Just because China is a different country dosent mean it's free from critism. 

So when are you going to join George Takei in the effort to have all the property taken from the Japanese Americans now owned by the Mormons, Dole, and various large California farms after they were put in detention camps restored to their families?.......Oh, that seems to be absent from the American media!  :whistle:

It's a internal policy which you can't change. It can only change itself and the only thing your doing is deepening the gap between the Chinese and American people. Who aren't their governments. Worry about your own house and not the neighbors, because when you worry about the neighbors you just make enemies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, and then said:

Where a government can suppress knowledge, whether of truth or not, then it will tend to continue to remove anything that gets in the way of its control over people's minds.  The way to destroy false information or destructive writings is by MORE writings that PROVE they are false and destructive, not by trying to hide, shame or destroy the texts.  As Not A Rockstar said, in time it will eventually lend those ideas currency again in a new generation.  

Use truth to destroy lies.

See my above post....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Piney said:

So when are you going to join George Takei in the effort to have all the property taken from the Japanese Americans now owned by the Mormons, Dole, and various large California farms after they were put in detention camps restored to their families?.......Oh, that seems to be absent from the American media!  :whistle:

It's a internal policy which you can't change. It can only change itself and the only thing your doing is deepening the gap between the Chinese and American people. Who aren't their governments. Worry about your own house and not the neighbors, because when you worry about the neighbors you just make enemies.

Putting Japanese in camps is taught in schools as a shameful mistake. That's how things progress in open societies. Meanwhile China is burning textbooks with narrative it does not like.

Meanwhile we have China defending current reeducation camps, trying to gaslight the world that Tiawan is part of China and is angry whenever Tinannmen is called a massacre.

Everyone criticises the CCP not the people, it's only the CCP who wants it's people to think that that's someone one in the same. But that's easy to do when you literally work to control all the information your people see. 

"Worry about your own house" is a bad excuse. You see democratic nation's throwing shade at each other's policies all the time, just look at the politics threads. China gets no special privilege. 

I will stop critiquing the abusers house when it's stop abusing it's people. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only idiots burn books. All works of fiction are "lies". China, historically, has had many kneejerk episodes of conflict and suppression of foreign doctrines polluting and corrupting society. Buddhist was the first great one, then Islam, then Christianity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Putting Japanese in camps is taught in schools as a shameful mistake.

But have they tried to repair some of the damage? 

Tiawan.

Did you know what Taiwan put the indigenous Formosans through? 

I will stop critiquing the abusers house when it's stop abusing it's people. 

Your just yelling at the wind to stop. 

Edited by Piney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Only idiots burn books. All works of fiction are "lies". China, historically, has had many kneejerk episodes of conflict and suppression of foreign doctrines polluting and corrupting society. Buddhist was the first great one, then Islam, then Christianity. 

Then Buddhism a second time during Maoism along with Folk Religion. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Piney said:

But have they try to repair some of the damage? 

Did you know what Taiwan put the indigenous Formosans through? 

Your just yelling at the wind to stop. 

It's more to warn the rest society how far authoritarianism can go to safeguard against it.

And really it's more "yelling", just to use your own words, at people who defend the gross human rights abuses, mass censorship, reeducation camps and indoctrination of a people, such as yourself.

Also, whataboutism, is no defense for China trying to take over a autonomous nation. If you think it was wrong once there is no reason you should think it's right now.

Admitted the mistake and paid.albiet could of been more.

In 1980, under mounting pressure from the Japanese American Citizens League and redress organizations,[28] President Jimmy Carter opened an investigation to determine whether the decision to put Japanese Americans into concentration camps had been justified by the government. He appointed the Commission on Wartime Relocation and Internment of Civilians (CWRIC) to investigate the camps. The Commission's report, titled Personal Justice Denied, found little evidence of Japanese disloyalty at the time and concluded that the incarceration had been the product of racism. It recommended that the government pay reparations to the internees. In 1988, President Ronald Reagan signed into law the Civil Liberties Act of 1988 which apologized for the internment on behalf of the U.S. government and authorized a payment of $20,000 (equivalent to $42,000 in 2018) to each camp survivor. The legislation admitted that government actions were based on "race prejudice, war hysteria, and a failure of political leadership."[29] The U.S. government eventually disbursed more than $1.6 billion (equivalent to $3,390,000,000 in 2018) in reparations to 82,219 Japanese Americans who had been interned and their heirs.[28][30]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment_of_Japanese_Americans

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Then Buddhism a second time during Maoism along with Folk Religion. 

Not to mention the atrocities committed in Tibet after it's forced annexation. They took holy inscriptions and text torn from monastery walls and used them as paving stones and forced the people to walk on them. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Not to mention the atrocities committed in Tibet after it's forced annexation. They took holy inscriptions and text torn from monastery walls and used them as paving stones and forced the people to walk on them. 

And of course the land took from India for them sheltering Tibetians.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's more to warn the rest society how far authoritarianism can go to safeguard against it.

While your own Democracy dies right in front of you. Caused by both parties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2