Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Volcano Erupts in New Zealand

Ozfactor

22 minutes ago, Doc Socks Junior said:

Well, it says I'm not an illogical paranoid reactionary who doesn't have a high appreciation of relative risks...so I guess that is a lot.

Yes, far better to be a greedy, avaricious facilitator of the death of innocents. Some risks are too high to take, especially for the love of money. I think we are finished insulting one another. Moving on. 

4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Yes, far better to be a greedy, avaricious facilitator of the death of innocents. Some risks are too high to take, especially for the love of money. I think we are finished insulting one another. Moving on. 

What is the relative risk of visiting the island? Please, quantitative assertions only. 

• Like 1

Six of the bodies on the mountain have been retrieved. Two are still missing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/12/world/asia/new-zealand-volcano-recovery.html

WHAKATANE, New Zealand — A military team in New Zealand on Friday morning recovered the bodies of six people killed in a volcanic eruption on Monday on White Island but failed to find two others, undertaking a daring recovery mission even as the threat of another eruption loomed.

Col. Rian McKinstry, who was part of the command leading the Friday operation, said the team on the ground had to end its search because its air supplies were dwindling. But officials said the search would be continued from the air and the water, since one of the two victims whose bodies were not recovered was believed to have been swept into the bay. A dive team will be redeployed on Saturday to search for that body.

He said that progress was “taking more time than expected” because the recovery team members’ heavy protective equipment was slowing their mobility. The rescuers were wearing protective gear to shield them from toxic volcanic gases, as well as from the ash underfoot.
Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An Australian woman is the first of the six recovered from the island to be identified. Authorities now expect the death toll to be 16. One more has been sighted in the water and the 8th could not be sighted on land. Another search is being planned for recovery.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/14/white-island-volcano-eruption-police-divers-search-sea-for-missing-bodies

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...