Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is This the End of Recycling?

rashore

I would like to buy items that have less packaging and outer wrapping.  The problem is that everything has so much packaging to avoid damage in shipping and contamination. I try to buy used items but that is not always possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, aztek said:

b.s. where are her pads and tampons?  just because she flushed trash down the toilet doesn't mean she did not produce garbage 

Might want to check history on what women had to do in the past before  you call bs 

2 hours ago, aztek said:

b.s. where are her pads and tampons?  just because she flushed trash down the toilet doesn't mean she did not produce garbage 

for sure she uses these cups :rofl:

On 12/20/2019 at 8:34 PM, little_dreamer said:

I would like to buy items that have less packaging and outer wrapping.  The problem is that everything has so much packaging to avoid damage in shipping and contamination. I try to buy used items but that is not always possible.

Ditto,

I buy like a tiny flash drive on Amazon it shows up in layers upon layers of packaging lol 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 3:15 PM, aztek said:

lamo diesel is absolutely NOT a byproduct of plastic, it is  one of several components we get from refining oil,  plastic is made from oil as well, but it has nothing to do with diesel,  

this is taught in middle school, and this guy claims he has 4 degrees including phd, i don't believe it for a second, 

You just said that we get plastic from refining oil.  In the refining process some products go to fuel, some to plastic, some to lubricants, etc.  You can't make diesel without also producing some by products.

This isn't quite what I meant, but:  https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-byproducts-of-converting-plastic-waste-to-diesel-and-jet-fuel

First sentence, second paragraph:  https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=34&t=6

Doesn't that make you feel smart?

Doug

P.S.:  Today I made a breakthrough on that cedar/climate study.  I found that cedar cover is a simple multiple of precip.  I also extended my precip climate indices back another 20 years to 1904.  I plan to have a look at extending the temperature climate index back another three or four years tomorrow.  I should be writing the paper sometime next week.  When it comes out, if you remind me, I'll send you the link  Don't worry about forgetting:  I'll probably be so excited I spread the word all over UM.  You can believe whichever journal I publish in.  I'll have to decide which one to submit to pretty soon.  If you PM me, I'll send you links to papers already published.  I have also published 15 abstracts and have another one In Press, as well as 15 tree ring chronologies.  Same deal:  PM me and I'll send you the links.

P.P.S.:  the next paper after this will probably be one on the proportional areas method of correcting for plot slopover in forest and agricultural inventories.  My shortleaf pine litter paper is still held up in review; although, it could pop loose any day now.  You can believe those journals, too.

P.P.P.S.:  Generally takes about six months of negotiating and rewriting with the editor before a paper is accepted, then another three or four months of typesetting, proofing, etc.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029

5 hours ago, Doug1029 said:

You just said that we get plastic from refining oil.  In the refining process some products go to fuel, some to plastic, some to lubricants, etc.  You can't make diesel without also producing some by products.

This isn't quite what I meant, but:  https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-byproducts-of-converting-plastic-waste-to-diesel-and-jet-fuel

First sentence, second paragraph:  https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=34&t=6

Doesn't that make you feel smart?

Everything in that is just wrong.

First off you can easily just produce diesel and no other by products, technically it's easy to produce any singular petrochemical product or any mix of petrochemical products as hydrocarbon chemistry is extremely well understood it just tends to be insanely far from the most optimal economic solution.  To just produce diesel all you would have to do is crack any of the hydrocarbon chains that are longer then 20 and that is easy to do, might not be economical but it's easy, and do unification for any hydrocarbon chain less then 14, which once again easy to do but probably not economical.  

In oil refining there really isnt the concept of one product goes to one thing and another product goes to another thing but more of how to maximize profits normally by using the cheapest method to turn/seperate a given group of hydrocarbon chains into a significantly more valuable group of hydrocarbon chains.

As for your links they dont prove what you are trying to prove at all but instead show you lack even a basic understanding of oil refining or the chemistry involved in it.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 6:46 PM, Desertrat56 said:

P.S.  There are so many things we as individuals can do to keep stuff out of the landfills too. We can't just sit around waiting for someone else to solve problems, we have to help and be part of the solution.

Maybe but until and unless you're willing to elect a government that actually wants to deal with it, the impact you can have as individuals is basically nil. 

On 12/10/2019 at 3:15 PM, aztek said:

this is taught in middle school, and this guy claims he has 4 degrees including phd, i don't believe it for a second, 

There is nothing special about a Ph.D. or the number of degrees that went before.  Each higher degree simply replaces the lower ones.  The lower ones no longer contribute.  A research paper doesn't prove that the author has a Ph.D., but it does indicate the probability that he/she does.

But I'll make you an offer:  yesterday I was able to extend the nine precipitation indices for Oklahoma back another 20 years to 1904.  A few days ago I produced an equation showing the link between cedar coverage and precipitation.  So it's pretty certain that precipitation determines the amount of cedar coverage, which establishes the link between cedar and climate.  Today I plan to look at extending the temperature indices back a few more years.  All that puts me close to actually writing that paper - probably beginning next week.  When it's published, I'll send you the link.

In the meantime, there are two other papers I have published as lead author and three more where I was a contributing author.  PM me and I'll send you the links.  I have published 15 abstracts and 15 chronologies.  In addition, I have one paper In Press and one in review.  For the last two I can't send you a link and it would be unwise to send the entire paper as that could create copyright problems.  But otherwise, "ask and it shall be given unto you."

Doug

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Setton said:

Maybe but until and unless you're willing to elect a government that actually wants to deal with it, the impact you can have as individuals is basically nil. 

So, you will sit around complaining instead of doing your part because the people who are elected (politicians) aren't going to do what you think they should?  There are many grass roots movements that have made great strides in many areas without politics being involved.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

So, you will sit around complaining instead of doing your part because the people who are elected (politicians) aren't going to do what you think they should?  There are many grass roots movements that have made great strides in many areas without politics being involved.

Not at all. But I will put my efforts into getting a party elected that will actually make a difference, rather than feelgood vanity projects.

• Like 1

The wall will come when there is no more room in the landfill and the nearest site for a new landfill is 250 miles away.  If we don't do something, we will drown in our own waste.

23 hours ago, Doug1029 said:

...yesterday I was able to extend the nine precipitation indices for Oklahoma back another 20 years to 1904.  A few days ago I produced an equation showing the link between cedar coverage and precipitation.  So it's pretty certain that precipitation determines the amount of cedar coverage, which establishes the link between cedar and climate.  Today I plan to look at extending the temperature indices back a few more years.

I didn't get the temperature indices extended.  I have the data, but it's going to be a humongous job for just four more years back to 1900.  It isn't worth doing for this paper.  But maybe for a later one....

BUT:  I did get to check out seasonality of precip in the Panhandle.  Compared with 1895, we are getting less precip in December, January and February and more in April, May and June.  Most of the increase in rainfall went into May and June.

I'll continue that today for the rest of the state.

Thanks.

Doug

5 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

The wall will come when there is no more room in the landfill and the nearest site for a new landfill is 250 miles away.  If we don't do something, we will drown in our own waste.

Boulder, CO, sitting on the edge of the Great Plains is complaining about running out of space in their landfill.  They're less than 20 miles from Weld County with lots of landfill space.  It's putting up the money that they don't like.

Doug

• Like 1