Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shootout In Jersey City

susieice

One officer has been killed, two more wounded along with one civilian in a shootout at a supermarket in Jersey City, NJ. There are multiple deceased inside the store. There is a live video in the link. They said there was a shooter on the roof.

https://abc7ny.com/live-at-least-1-gunman-opens-fire-on-police-in-jersey-city/5744424/?fbclid=IwAR1o6pXPqo0exjj2rd2Y_hwXZ8I_I5fbywHpg0-zVYblWiBpKBegrhuU1ZA

• Sad 5

Now they say two officers were injured. They say it started in a cemetery when police may have interrupted a drug deal gone bad. One officer was shot there and the officer who died was also there. They were undercover narcotic police.

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 1

Now they are saying the officer killed was at the supermarket. The suspects took a u-haul van and drove it from the cemetery to the supermarket if the report is accurate. 

Edit: Gotta love breaking news. Now they say one of the suspects at the store came out of a u-haul that was parked in front of it. The store must be near the cemetery. That's how it's printed now in the article.

Edited by susieice

I'll just quote from the link. It also has a live video. Don't know what happened to the cemetery and the drug deal but NBC says it was an investigation into a previous homicide.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/active-shooter-situation-in-jersey-city-sources-say/2238983/

As many as six people may be dead -- including a police officer, two suspects and three civilians -- during an "ambush" active shooter situation at a bodega in Jersey City Tuesday, officials and law enforcement sources said.

Law enforcement sources identified the dead officer as a married father of five.

At least one wounded civilian, along with two wounded officers, are expected to survive, officials said.

According to three senior law enforcement officials, the shoot-out began as a homicide investigation. The deceased officer approached suspects in that investigation and was shot and killed. The suspects then fled into the bodega, where the standoff started.

This is from the first link from ABC.

Authorities say the incident started at Bay View Cemetery just after noon, with an officer wounded in the shoulder, and was possibly related to a drug deal gone bad.

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The New York Times mentions a homicide investigation and the cemetery. They also say the suspects took off in a truck that they drove to the market.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/10/nyregion/jersey-city-shooter.html

Officials believe the shooting began when the detective approached one of the gunmen at a nearby cemetery in connection with a homicide investigation and was shot dead, according to a person with knowledge of the matter.

The gunmen then fled in a truck and eventually ended up at the kosher market, where they opened fire on police officers and civilians, officials said. For much of the next hour, rapid bursts of gunfire could be heard echoing off the low buildings by residents blocks away.

ABC still says a drug or gun deal was approached in a cemetery.

https://abc7ny.com/live-|-officer-among-6-killed-in-nj-shooting-standoff;-suspects-dead/5744424/

Authorities say the incident started at Bay View Cemetery just after noon, with Seals, 40, fatally shot and a second officer wounded in the shoulder, and was possibly related to a drug or gun deal gone bad.

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 1

The suspects have been identified. One was a woman.

https://www.fox29.com/news/suspects-in-jersey-city-shooting-identified?fbclid=IwAR3_xdkT8Q8oilmafJ75n_hRjzTE0FLAPfCWFxTsYTj-ffEuLY3lA5oTRu0

Some things about the shooting have become clearer and some things are still foggy.

Anderson had anti-semitic and anti-police postings on his social media. The officer who was killed was at the cemetery. The suspects then drove a stolen U-haul to the store. 

The victims at the store have also been named. One was the owner's wife and one was an employee. LE still hasn't confirmed the identities. 

The two wounded officers were on foot patrol close to the store and have been released from the hospital.

The Jersey City Mayor has tweeted that he believes the kosher market had been targeted based on surveillance footage.

It's unclear what was happening in the cemetery when Officer Seals first approached the suspects. It's unknown if this shooting was connected to a murder that happened over the weekend in Bayonne.

Authorities may have found pipe bombs in the U-haul.

https://www.nj.com/news/2019/12/jersey-city-shooting-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont.html?utm_campaign=njcom_sf&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=nj_facebook_njcom&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR0EwlXmvHUpKT_k4Vomf6Ww3EjZQScnNpMmncmIsVhcAqX0m5ZYEQtPKs0

• Thanks 1

The footage is disturbing. It sounds like a war zone with rounds being shot everywhere. What a crazy situation

• Like 2

That was so difficult to watch. My son is a police officer in in one of the most dangerous cities in NJ , this has me very upset. 

• Sad 2

Hopefully, the Jews who have the Democrat Party as their religion, are listening to this.  Jews were the FIRST and the STRONGEST supporters of Civil Rights for black Americans.  Go figure...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The shooters have been linked to a hate group. Authorities also found antisemitic and anti-police postings on the social media of at least one of the shooters. They are also the prime suspects in the death of a livery driver that was found dead in a car trunk in Bayonne, NJ over the weekend. Anderson had previously served time on weapons charges. The Anti-defamation League wants answers. The links quoted are from US News and World Report and Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2019/12/11/jersey-city-shooting-latest-incident-in-increased-anti-semitic-violence-since-2016/#7a7ce768513b

Topline: Tuesday’s Jersey City shooting that left six dead⁠—including the two gunmen, three bystanders and one police officer⁠—targeted a Jewish grocery store, which would make it the latest anti-Semitic crime in a wave of incidents taking place across the country.

• New Jersey, where the Jersey City shooting took place, had 2018’s third-highest number of anti-Semitic incidents, with 200 counted. California had the highest number, followed by New York
  • Key background: Wednesday’s shooting occurred in the Jersey City neighborhood of Greenville. According to the New York Times, about 100 Orthodox Jewish families had relocated there from Brooklyn over recent years to what had been a traditionally African American neighborhood. A law enforcement official told the Times that at least one of the two suspects appeared to have made anti-Semitic and anti-police posts before the shooting and may have had ties to the Black Hebrew Israelite movement, which is seen as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. The official told the Times the suspects were identified as David Anderson and Francine Graham.

• Tangent: President Trump is expected to sign on Wednesday an executive order that would interpret Judaism as a nationality as opposed to a religion. The Trump administration says the order will help crack down on anti-Semitic incidents on college campuses. “This Executive Order provides valuable guidance on anti-Semitism, giving law enforcement and campus officials an important additional tool to help identify and fight this pernicious hate,” said ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt in a statement. Critics, however, believe the executive order will chill free speech. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2019-12-11/jersey-citys-mayor-says-gunmen-targeted-kosher-market

day after the gunbattle and standoff that left six people dead — the two killers, a police officer and three people who had been inside the store — state and federal law enforcement officials warned they have not established the motive for the attack.

“The why and the ideology and the motivation — that's what we're investigating,” New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal said, adding that authorities are also trying to determine if anyone else was involved.

But Mayor Steve Fulop said surveillance video of the attackers made it clear they targeted the kosher market, and he pronounced the bloodshed a hate crime against Jews, as did New York's mayor and governor.

Also, investigators believe the two dead attackers — who were thought to be a couple — identified themselves in the past as Black Hebrew Israelites, a movement whose members have been known to rail against whites and Jews, according to a law enforcement official who was briefed on the matter but was not authorized to discuss the case publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

In addition, authorities have found social media postings from at least one of the killers that were anti-police and anti-Jewish, the official said. The FBI on Wednesday searched the Harlem headquarters of the Israelite Church of God in Jesus Christ, which is the formal name of the Black Hebrew group, according to the official.

The killers were identified as David N. Anderson, 47, and Francine Graham, 50 — both of them also prime suspects in the slaying of a livery driver found dead in a car trunk in nearby Bayonne over the weekend, Grewal said. Anderson served about four months in prison in New Jersey on weapons charges and was paroled in 2011, authorities said.

"The report from the Jersey City mayor saying it was a targeted attack makes us incredibly concerned in the Jewish community,” said Evan Bernstein, regional director of the Anti-Defamation League, the Jewish civil rights organization. “They want answers. They demand answers. If this was truly a targeted killing of Jews, then we need to know that right away, and there needs to be the pushing back on this at the highest levels possible.”
  • Thanks 1

ABC New York is reporting this as a domestic terrorism investigation. Good video. 

https://abc7ny.com/nj-shooting-suspects-believed-to-be-followers-of-anti-semitic-group-sources/5746979/

In another report, they said a pipe bomb was found in the vehicle.

https://abc7ny.com/jersey-city-shooting-device-found-in-u-haul-was-operable-pipe-bomb/5746390/

The New Jersey Attorney General is hee-hawing, but the Jersey City Mayor has been joined by the Mayor of New York City and the Governor of New York in saying this was an antisemitic attack. This article is from the Boston Herald.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/12/11/fears-mount-that-new-jersey-shooting-was-anti-semitic-attack/

I thought CNN's coverage would be a lot of hee-hawing too. This certainly isn't going to fit into their agenda.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/11/us/jersey-city-new-jersey-shooting-wednesday/index.html

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Yeah the NYT has been trying too hard to do the "both sides" thing on every issue. They did the same thing with Neo Nazis after Charlottesville.

12 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Yeah the NYT has been trying too hard to do the "both sides" thing on every issue. They did the same thing with Neo Nazis after Charlottesville.

Do you believe that attempting to cover the story from "both sides" is a negative or a positive?  

I didn't see any articles on this group, I just recalled their title because it's odd.  I don't think there is any doubt that these people attacked that market because it was owned and operated by Jews.  They didn't attempt to shoot anyone on the street - thank God - but that kind of takes away the randomness aspect.

• Like 1

Slightly off-topic:

I want to publicly apologize to Piney for acting like an ass yesterday.  I got angry, lost my temper and said things that were damned unworthy of this site.  He and I will never agree on Israel and a few other things but I allowed it to get personal and regret it, for my part.  I overreacted and I apologize.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

Do you believe that attempting to cover the story from "both sides" is a negative or a positive?  

I didn't see any articles on this group, I just recalled their title because it's odd.  I don't think there is any doubt that these people attacked that market because it was owned and operated by Jews.  They didn't attempt to shoot anyone on the street - thank God - but that kind of takes away the randomness aspect.

Both depending on the situation. When it comes to groups of folks whose binding philosophies include hate for race ,religion or national identity then no i think it can become harmful to do the both sides thing. Another word for that is normalization IMO

Yeah.. yeah.. it was a gun deal gone bad. Or a drug deal gone bad. Nothing to see here folks... move on. 

This was a terrorist attack by a Black Supremacist group, but NONE of the newspapers dare report that, until the evidence becomes so overwhelming that they would look stupid ignoring it. So they hope that people will forget about it before that evidence comes to light. Ooops... too late... it just did. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Yeah.. yeah.. it was a gun deal gone bad. Or a drug deal gone bad. Nothing to see here folks... move on. 

This was a terrorist attack by a Black Supremacist group, but NONE of the newspapers dare report that, until the evidence becomes so overwhelming that they would look stupid ignoring it. So they hope that people will forget about it before that evidence comes to light. Ooops... too late... it just did. 

Ahhh the 21st century "conservative" mindset

Run an article about me or someone I like without knowing all the facts and you deserve to get sued for 250million dollars.

Dont run an article about someone I dont like without knowing all the facts and its a "coverup"

When people talk about Trumpian attacks on free press its because we knew the above was going to be the result.

Honestly man its not just you I think this is the third time today ive seen someone make a similar comment on various issues.

14 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Ahhh the 21st century "conservative" mindset

Run an article about me or someone I like without knowing all the facts and you deserve to get sued for 250million dollars.

Dont run an article about someone I dont like without knowing all the facts and its a "coverup"

When people talk about Trumpian attacks on free press its because we knew the above was going to be the result.

Honestly man its not just you I think this is the third time today ive seen someone make a similar comment on various issues.

What on EARTH are you talking about ? :unsure: 

@Farmer77, you know full well that if the attackers had been white, the media would be in a frenzy about White Supremacists and White Nationalists, and the FBI would already have classed this as a "Terrorist Attack".  

But the attackers where black, and at least one associated with a know Black Supremacist group, and so the newspapers where silent, and the Law Enforcement organisations make no reference to terrorism,  because this does not fit "The Narrative" of right-wing White Supremacists being the most dangerous terrorist group in the USA. 

Edited by RoofGardener

17 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

you know full well that if the attackers had been white, the media would be in a frenzy about White Supremacists and White Nationalists, and the FBI would already have classed this as a "Terrorist Attack".  

and you should know full well that America has an epidemic of white supremacist violence justifying the media clamor and that the FBI actually is very reticent to label white supremacist attacks as terror.

Facts are important man : White nationalism-fueled violence is on the rise, but FBI is slow to call it domestic terrorism

17 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

But the attackers where black, and at least one associated with a know Black Supremacist group, and so the newspapers where silent, and the Law Enforcement organisations make no reference to terrorism,  because this does not fit "The Narrative" of right-wing White Supremacists being the most dangerous terrorist group in the USA. 

What on earth are you talking about? It is being investigated as domestic terrorism and within hours of the incident media was reporting the shooters affiliations and beliefs. More evidence you need to get out of your media bubble, this article is from 3 days ago.

Jersey City Attack That Killed 4 People Is Being Investigated as 'Domestic Terrorism.' Here's What to Know

Tell me roofie if I pull up last night's Tucker Carlson episode how much of your rant above will I find in it? :o :P

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

and you should know full well that America has an epidemic of white supremacist violence justifying the media clamor and that the FBI actually is very reticent to label white supremacist attacks as terror.

Facts are important man : White nationalism-fueled violence is on the rise, but FBI is slow to call it domestic terrorism

What on earth are you talking about? It is being investigated as domestic terrorism and within hours of the incident media was reporting the shooters affiliations and beliefs. More evidence you need to get out of your media bubble, this article is from 3 days ago.

Jersey City Attack That Killed 4 People Is Being Investigated as 'Domestic Terrorism.' Here's What to Know

Tell me roofie if I pull up last night's Tucker Carlson episode how much of your rant above will I find in it? :o :P

I don't know. I can't get them here in the UK :(