Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Naked Zapata in pink hat & heels causes upset

Eldorado

Protesters stormed the Palace of Fine Arts in Mexico City on Tuesday over a painting showing revolutionary hero Emiliano Zapata striking an unconventional pose.

They shouted "burn it, burn it", arguing that the painting, which shows Zapata in high heels and a pink hat naked on an aroused horse is offensive.

Zapata's grandson, Jorge Zapata González, wants it to be removed.

"We are not going to allow this," he told the Associated Press.

Full monty at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-50740323

And at Time magazine: https://time.com/5748079/nude-portrait-emiliano-zapata/

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Got to wonder what goes on in the heads of some of these so called artists.

Seems just because someone paints a picture of some pretty weird and quite grotesque image and calls it art,  it gets accepted and hung up. 

Some things should never be hanged (apart from the horse as thats just nature ). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

"freedom" of expression 

~

This freedom thing is getting out of hand. Freedom for lunatics should not be on the list.

• Like 3

It doesn’t seem to be a great painting so is it just in the palace of fine arts because it’s potentially offensive? Nice frame though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

This freedom thing is getting out of hand. Freedom for lunatics should not be on the list.

I wouldn't say the artist is a lunatic, but cultures like those of Mexico and South American countries tend to be very macho and there is no way this was going to go over well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

I wouldn't say the artist is a lunatic, but cultures like those of Mexico and South American countries tend to be very macho and there is no way this was going to go over well.

I do not get what is going on in soneones mind when they think about a  naked man in high heels with a pink hat sitting on a horse with a lob on. 

And then paints it on canvass and wants the world to see it!  

I don't know O/S,  I think there's a bit of lunacy going on there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, freetoroam said:

I do not get what is going on in soneones mind when they think about a  naked man in high heels with a pink hat sitting on a horse with a lob on. 

most likely their own fantasies 

• Like 1

Art should be shocking, it should make you ask questions - of yourself, of others, of the world itself. It has made people ask questions, albeit “are you insane?” style questions...

• Like 1