Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earliest hunting scene cave art uncovered

Eldorado

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

"A 44,000-year-old cave painting discovered in Indonesia is believed to be the earliest known hunting scene to be uncovered.

"The image portrays a group of part-human, part-animal figures – therianthropes – hunting large mammals with spears or ropes.

"The team of archaeologists, led by Griffith University in Australia, who made the find say it sheds new light on the origin of modern human cognition.

"Published in the Nature journal, their paper describes the ancient painting in a limestone cave on Sulawesi as our oldest known rock art."

Full monty at the Worcester News: https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/national/18095357.earliest-known-hunting-scene-uncovered-cave-painting/

Research abstract at Nature: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1806-y

That... surely can't be right ? 

We where vandalising walls 44,000 years ago ? 

We didn't even have football teams THAT long ago, surely ? 

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"A 44,000-year-old cave painting discovered in Indonesia is believed to be the earliest known hunting scene to be uncovered.

"The image portrays a group of part-human, part-animal figures – therianthropes – hunting large mammals with spears or ropes.

"The team of archaeologists, led by Griffith University in Australia, who made the find say it sheds new light on the origin of modern human cognition.

"Published in the Nature journal, their paper describes the ancient painting in a limestone cave on Sulawesi as our oldest known rock art."

Full monty at the Worcester News: https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/national/18095357.earliest-known-hunting-scene-uncovered-cave-painting/

Research abstract at Nature: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1806-y

Thanks for the thread, it is really interesting to see how mans ancestors perceived their surroundings and possible spiritual concepts. 

I always enjoy your threads, thanks again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've often wondered why these drawings are always quite good. How come we never see a no talent guy (like me) from back then draw humorously bad. 

I wonder if only their best were allowed to use the high quality materials that would last?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I've often wondered why these drawings are always quite good. How come we never see a no talent guy (like me) from back then draw humorously bad. 

I wonder if only their best were allowed to use the high quality materials that would last?

Maybe — but there are hierarchies dictating what gets preserved. Most often, things that are better than average tend to get saved and the crap is destroyed. It’s why we have seven of Aeschylus’ plays and none of Dionysus the Elder’s...

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thanks for the thread, it is really interesting to see how mans ancestors perceived their surroundings and possible spiritual concepts. 

I always enjoy your threads, thanks again.

Sign of evolution you crossed the path of a master of universe!

Edited by The Eternal Flame

45 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

Sign of evolution you crossed the path of a master of universe!

Funny, I didn’t notice your pendulous flews. Or drool, for that matter.

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaylemurph said:

Funny, I didn’t notice your pendulous flews. Or drool, for that matter.

—Jaylemurph 

I dint say it was me and i have the liberty of expression?

You don’t have liberty of expression when it comes to the Masters. They tightly control their image, and you were way off brand!

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

You don’t have liberty of expression when it comes to the Masters. They tightly control their image, and you were way off brand!

—Jaylemurph 

Whe all have our own definition of about everyting and its why are uniciate.

2 hours ago, The Eternal Flame said:

Whe all have our own definition of about everyting and its why are uniciate.

We do not choose the definitions for the Masters. They define themselves. And speak through me, their short-term interim prophet, saviour and ham wrangler.

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

:o—Jaylemurph :no:

12 hours ago, Eldorado said:

It would be so interesting to know if they saw the hunters as being skilled like those animals they were partly of or if this was an early form of a concept like animal totems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1