Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Speech evolved 27 million years ago?

Eldorado

"Speech is part of what makes us uniquely human, but what if our ancestors had the ability to speak millions of years before Homo sapiens even existed?

"Some scientists have theorized that it only became physically possible to speak a wide range of essential vowel sounds when our vocal anatomy changed with the rise of Homo sapiens some 300,000 years ago.

"This theoretical timeline means that language, where the brain associates words with objects or concepts and arranges them in complex sentences, would have been a relatively recent phenomenon, developing with or after our ability to speak a diverse array of sounds.

"But a comprehensive study analyzing several decades of research, from primate vocalization to vocal tract acoustic modeling, suggests the idea that only Homo sapiens could physically talk may miss the mark when it comes to our ancestors’ first speech—by a staggering 27 million years or more.

Full article at The Smithsonian mag: : https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/human-ancestors-may-have-evolved-physical-ability-speak-more-25-million-years-ago-180973759/#sFItU8eqvGlQD5rH.99

"Which way to the dawn of speech?: Reanalyzing half a century of debates and data in light of speech science"

Research Paper at Science Advances: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/12/eaaw3916

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

"Speech is part of what makes us uniquely human, but what if our ancestors had the ability to speak millions of years before Homo sapiens even existed?

"Some scientists have theorized that it only became physically possible to speak a wide range of essential vowel sounds when our vocal anatomy changed with the rise of Homo sapiens some 300,000 years ago.

"This theoretical timeline means that language, where the brain associates words with objects or concepts and arranges them in complex sentences, would have been a relatively recent phenomenon, developing with or after our ability to speak a diverse array of sounds.

"But a comprehensive study analyzing several decades of research, from primate vocalization to vocal tract acoustic modeling, suggests the idea that only Homo sapiens could physically talk may miss the mark when it comes to our ancestors’ first speech—by a staggering 27 million years or more.

Full article at The Smithsonian mag: : https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/human-ancestors-may-have-evolved-physical-ability-speak-more-25-million-years-ago-180973759/#sFItU8eqvGlQD5rH.99

"Which way to the dawn of speech?: Reanalyzing half a century of debates and data in light of speech science"

Research Paper at Science Advances: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/12/eaaw3916

Brainpower aside I'd be more impressed if scientists had evidence of an earlier hyoid bone in any part of our hominin lineage predating the oldest known so far which IIRC is circa 60,000 years old. 

cormac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Speech evolved 27 million years ago?

Not in the Black Country.

^_^

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, acute said:

Not in the Black Country.

^_^

Nor in the Darker areas of the North.........

• Like 1

I suppose, in theory, if the capacity was not there, then why evolve the ability to speak? 

Evolution itself is kind of a puzzle. The diversity, even the impetus to evolve in itself is a bit of a mystery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Evolution itself is kind of a puzzle. The diversity, even the impetus to evolve in itself is a bit of a mystery.

Environmental stresses, mutations to help deal with them, always using the path of least resistance. 

When we couldn't climb the trees anymore we had to run and run fast. Our hips and legs evolved to do this.....our spines now have to catch up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Environmental stresses, mutations to help deal with them, always using the path of least resistance. 

When we couldn't climb the trees anymore we had to run and run fast. Our hips and legs evolved to do this.....our spines now have to catch up. 

So piney where you got the info are you a living encyclopedia?

Edited by The Eternal Flame
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

Piney where you got the info are you a living encyclopedia?

I love science. :yes:

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Piney said:

I love science. :yes:

It's like magic, but real. :tsu:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

It's like magic, but real. :tsu:

Science is like you become what you learned insted of be more yourself more × more eatch time you learn lose a bit of yourself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

Science is like you become what you learned insted of be more yourself more eatch time, read that in a book, a alien source.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what that means. What alien book are you talking about?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

alien abduction an abductee come foward whit the claim.

3 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what that means. What alien book are you talking about?

It was from alien abduction book.

4 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

alien abduction an abductee come foward whit the claim.

1 minute ago, The Eternal Flame said:

alien abduction an abductee come foward whit the claim.

Claimed what?

1 minute ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Claimed what?

You become what you learned insted of be more yourself more and more eatch time you learn lose a bit of yourself.

2 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

You become what you learned insted of be more yourself more and more eatch time you learn lose a bit of yourself.

Ignorance is Bliss?

7 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Ignorance is Bliss?

Sorry bad english i dont understand ?

6 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Ignorance is Bliss?

Some coin phrase eatch day like philosophe.

1 minute ago, The Eternal Flame said:

sorry bad english i dont understand ?

It seems you are saying it's better to not learn.

What are you losing of yourself?

2 minutes ago, The Eternal Flame said:

sorry bad english i dont understand ?

One can be content when they don't know enough not to be. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

It seems you are saying it's better to not learn.

What are you losing of yourself?

The phrase you have not coined eatch day is losed.

11 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

One can be content when they don't know enough not to be. 

cormac

Some presentation and a hi would have been nice?

9 hours ago, The Eternal Flame said:

alien abduction an abductee come foward whit the claim.

Clearly by someone who wasn't into science.  The more you know about science, the more amazing the world becomes.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Clearly by someone who wasn't into science.  The more you know about science, the more amazing the world becomes.

You must also lose fragment of memories more you learn more you forget about your past.