Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Former Auschwitz prisoners & lovers reunite

Eldorado

"When two individuals found themselves brought to Auschwitz as prisoners, each day might have been the last.

"Yet not only did David Wisnia and Helen Spitzer survive one of the most dangerous places on Earth, they also fell in love.

"Only seven decades later did these two Auschwitz prisoners get to reunite so he could ask an important question."

Full love story at DoYouRemember: https://doyouremember.com/109153/auschwitz-holocaust-prisoners-lovers-reunite

• Like 9

Thats a beautiful story! Thank you.

I'd like to hear of books and see more movies about survivor's but especially of surviving families members reuniting after they were liberated, they do not cover this enough. I know these true stories are few and far between but there has to be a few... ??? What a mess and to be displaced and their homes and lives just stolen away. So sad and sickening to my heart and stomach!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Debra F. II said:

Thats a beautiful story! Thank you.

I'd like to hear of books and see more movies about survivor's but especially of surviving families members reuniting after they were liberated, they do not cover this enough. I know these true stories are few and far between but there has to be a few... ??? What a mess and to be displaced and their homes and lives just stolen away. So sad and sickening to my heart and stomach!

I can highly recommend such a work.  It's a fictional account of an actual event of that era.  It's called THE AUSCHWITZ ESCAPE.  The characters are German Jews who wind up in Auschwitz but one manages to escape with a Polish comrade from the same camp.  It's a tale of the fear and suffering of that era but also of the hope that remains with people of faith.  A side story explores the story of a Christian minister in France in a town called CHAMBON-SUR-LIGNON and his and his town's risks in taking in thousands of fleeing Jews and helping them hide, then many of them to escape.  It's an excellent read. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, and then said:

I can highly recommend such a work.  It's a fictional account of an actual event of that era.  It's called THE AUSCHWITZ ESCAPE.  The characters are German Jews who wind up in Auschwitz but one manages to escape with a Polish comrade from the same camp.  It's a tale of the fear and suffering of that era but also of the hope that remains with people of faith.  A side story explores the story of a Christian minister in France in a town called CHAMBON-SUR-LIGNON and his and his town's risks in taking in thousands of fleeing Jews and helping them hide, then many of them to escape.  It's an excellent read. 

And us people today think we have problems!!! I bought both books of the Ann Frank's diary, I enjoyed comparing notes and differences between them. It is also a heart wrenching situation they went through. I have tried to get other books written by survivors, they're never on the shelf, always need to order them which unfortunately I haven't gotten around to.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 1:20 AM, and then said:

If you get the chance and are interested in watching a 10 minute clip, YouTube has a video called  "The Unbearable Lightness of Being a Nazi" (2008)

After the war an American soldier found a photo album, the photos were taken from inside Auschwitz, they talk with a woman also in the clip who was there and survived who sheds a more light on the situation.

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2019 at 7:37 PM, Eldorado said:

"When two individuals found themselves brought to Auschwitz as prisoners, each day might have been the last.

"Yet not only did David Wisnia and Helen Spitzer survive one of the most dangerous places on Earth, they also fell in love.

"Only seven decades later did these two Auschwitz prisoners get to reunite so he could ask an important question."

Full love story at DoYouRemember: https://doyouremember.com/109153/auschwitz-holocaust-prisoners-lovers-reunite

Just finished watching 

"Who Will Write Our Story"

Wondered if you have seen this yet? It is very good! It tells a hole different side that not many have heard, it's heartbreaking but the story is very well written, very courage group of people there.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2019 at 4:37 PM, Eldorado said:

That's a great story, it hard to imagine what these poor people went through. But it certainly turn out to be a happy ending.

Thanks much for sharing.

Peace.

• Thanks 2

Speaking of Holocaust films may I recommend a movie called The Hiding Place. 

• Thanks 1