Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Self-driving freight truck a US success

Eldorado

"If you happen to live in Quakertown, Pennsylvania, some 50 miles outside of Philadelphia, your next stick of creamy butter just may have been delivered via self-driving freight truck. It's believed to be the first time an autonomous freight vehicle has made a cross-country trip, let alone a commercial delivery.

"Plus.ai, the company behind the self-driving technology, announced the news on Tuesday. The company has only been around since 2016, so this is a particularly interesting feat.

"The founders, a group of Stanford Ph.D. students, knew that trucking—which has been experiencing a labor shortage since 2003, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)—is the primary method for shipping goods across the U.S.

"So they decided to apply their artificial intelligence know-how to long-haul trucking, building out the full-stack self-driving technology needed to make a cross country freight trip possible."

Full monty at Popular Mechanics: https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a30196644/self-driving-truck-cross-country/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Too bad for professional drivers.  When do we start replacing the executives with computer algorythms?  Just think of how much money could be saved.  More, I'd say, than savings from not employing low level humans.   /s

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

They is a slow budget horror movie where they is self-driving killer truck it was cool to watch and it was a good movie. :yes:

Edited by The Eternal Flame
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Wistman said:

Too bad for professional drivers.  When do we start replacing the executives with computer algorythms?  Just think of how much money could be saved.  More, I'd say, than savings from not employing low level humans.   /s

How long will it be before we get a Beverly Hills Cop truck/car crush, because the computer became addled?

:rolleyes:

• Like 3

I live about 20 miles from Quakertown. Go to the farmer's market there a couple times a year. Thanks for the warning. I'll keep my eyes open for this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Eternal Flame said:

They is a slow budget horror movie where they is self-driving killer truck it was cool to watch and it was a good movie. :yes:

Duel 1971 ?

• Like 4

I wonder...How does the truck fill up with fuel?  Does it smoke two packs a day and slow down to look at girls and get right on your a*** if you drive slow ,like me?

...in a perfect world I suppose it could be safe....this is not a perfect world.    *HONK*!

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lightly said:

I wonder...How does the truck fill up with fuel?  

maximum-overdrive.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Stiff said:

Duel 1971 ?

Yes tanks for the name.

Edited by The Eternal Flame
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, susieice said:

I live about 20 miles from Quakertown. Go to the farmer's market there a couple times a year. Thanks for the warning. I'll keep my eyes open for this.

I expect this is what the truck will do after some kids get out the shaving cream or crazy string in a can, and do a number on its sensors.

The multimillion dollar cutting edge transport will become a traffic snarl.

:lol:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, The Wistman said:

True that.  So much easier to write an algorithm that makes business decisions 24/7 than a self driving truck with all of the complications. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tmcom said:

I expect this is what the truck will do after some kids get out the shaving cream or crazy string in a can, and do a number on its sensors.

For goodness sake, cheer up tmcom.  They can probably make a model for you that runs on coal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't believe "driverless" means non human involvement at all, at least not for another decade or so till the whole supporting infrastructure is in place. 

If anything this phase will just lighten the load on drivers... 

~

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

For goodness sake, cheer up tmcom.  They can probably make a model for you that runs on coal.

Oh, it runs on battery's, then forget about the kids doing a number on it, it Will become a traffic snarl.

^_^

No offense to any professional drivers that we may have on the forum but thank god this technology is becoming a thing.

48 minutes ago, tmcom said:

Oh, it runs on battery's, then forget about the kids doing a number on it, it Will become a traffic snarl.

Horses are pretty unreliable too.  Maybe you should just limit yourself to walking.  No traffic worries then.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1