Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fish farmers rescue eagle from giant octopus

UM-Bot

That's so cool! Probably that the octopus was near the surface and the eagle tried to catch it like a fish. That's an epic fail!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Now, that's a headline I never thought I'd read. 
The story also brings up a good point. When do you intervene in nature? Should you?
Personally, I've only done it when the obvious cause of the animals' distress is humankind. For example, once while on a hike I found a duck struggling. It was horribly entangled in a wad of discarded fishing line. I cut it free.
Don't know how I'd react to this one, TBH. I'd want to save the eagle, but octopuses are awesome creatures too...

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 2

i had another thought perhaps the eagle and the octopus were just friends with benefits and were just getting it on and the fish farmer blokes broke up something beautiful

• 4 weeks later...

Why do people feel they are helping when interfering in nature? The octopus may not have eaten in quite some time. I think it's rare that they come up so close to the surface. Maybe because it hadn't been successful in feeding below? Also, how does an eagle get grabbed by an octopus, unless there is something wrong with it? Maybe the eagle wasn't right and the best thing for it was to be dispatched. So many possible factors involved that would indicate to let whatever happens, happen. Funny, when people are in a jam, instead of helping, many just take video instead.

Call me cold, or whatever you like, but I am a conservationist. However, I care about animals in the way of helping to keep populations strong and healthy. Too often, humans interfere when they have no business doing so. How many times do people pick up little animals, thinking they are all alone, when in fact, the mother is probably not far away and placed it's baby in that spot to keep it safe.

Leave wild animals alone! Odds are, you aren't helping.

Octopuses and squid are the real deal. I once had a spooked octopus latch onto my diving mask at a depth of 20m and it almost ripped the mask from my face. Worryingly this was only a small one......

Edited by butterflygirl1
Accidentally wrote 200ft instead of 20m

It's not uncommon for eagles to drown after locking their talons into prey that is too heavy for them to fly off with. They are good swimmers and usually can 'tow' their prey to shore, but in this instance, the eagle would never have made it. I usually have issues with people intervening with nature, but in this instance, I'm glad they did. Both animals would have been seriously injured (or worse) in the scuffle.

2 minutes ago, butterflygirl1 said:

Octopuses and squid are the real deal. I once had a spooked octopus latch onto my diving mask at a depth of 20m and it almost ripped the mask from my face. Worryingly this was only a small one......

That's kind of horrifying. I'm one of those folks that think Kraken lore comes from a time when big ole Octos and Squid weren't so fished out.. and big. And blown up with fishermans tales. Those guys are smart too.

26 minutes ago, rashore said:

That's kind of horrifying. I'm one of those folks that think Kraken lore comes from a time when big ole Octos and Squid weren't so fished out.. and big. And blown up with fishermans tales. Those guys are smart too.

It was not the poor thing's fault, another diver had spooked it and it swam in my direction and latched onto the mask likely to anchor itself. I remained calm and gently prised it off and returned it to the sea bed. Obviously had it been bigger or had I panicked my mask could have been pulled off which would have been quite serious. I must admit it was an "oh ****" moment even though I am a reasonably experienced diver (certified AOWD).

I 100% agree on the kraken thing, squid can get huuuge and are so poorly known that we may not have seen the truly giant ones.

10 hours ago, jbondo said:

How many times do people pick up little animals, thinking they are all alone, when in fact, the mother is probably not far away and placed it's baby in that spot to keep it safe.

Leave wild animals alone! Odds are, you aren't helping.

Picking up animal babies is stupid and...it's not interfering with the natural progression of an  otherwise humanless act.

Please...if a bear picks up a baby fawn...and eats it...is that nature?  Yes it is.  Well...if I go in the woods and shoot the mother of the fawn and eat it...is that nature?  Yes...just because we live in a civilized society with Walmarts and Targets, etc...does not mean that we ourselves are not part of nature.  Bears do what bears do.  Deer do what deer do. And humans do what humans do.  We are all part of nature and you just can't really mess it up.

Example:  Eagle tries to snatch Octopus thinking it was a fish because it was hungry.  Oops ...fail...now the octopus wants to eat the Eagle...but a human interferes...saves eagle...nice!  Both will live to kill and eat some other citizen of nature another day.   

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 5:31 PM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

It's not uncommon for eagles to drown after locking their talons into prey that is too heavy for them to fly off with. They are good swimmers and usually can 'tow' their prey to shore, but in this instance, the eagle would never have made it. I usually have issues with people intervening with nature, but in this instance, I'm glad they did. Both animals would have been seriously injured (or worse) in the scuffle.

Very good point!

• Thanks 1