Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plan to prove Tasmanian Tiger is not extinct

Still Waters

A Tasmanian Tiger researcher plans to camp out in the wilderness for two years in the hopes of encountering the creature and proving that it still exists. Known scientifically as the thylacine, the iconic striped canine is believed to have gone extinct in the 1930s, however numerous sightings in the years and decades since have led many to suspect that the creature's demise was greatly exaggerated. Among them is Neil Waters, who runs the Thylacine Awareness Group of Australia and now he reportedly intends to put that belief to the test by way of an epic expedition.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/tasmanian-tiger-researcher-has-bold-plan-to-prove-creature-is-not-extinct

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• The title was changed to Plan to prove Tasmanian Tiger is not extinct

If he does find one, I hope he just photographs or video tapes it. If anything, tranq, video, take samples, tag and release. If it's still around, there probably aren't many left.

Edited by SpaceBumZaphod
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SpaceBumZaphod said:

If he does find one, I hope he just photographs or video tapes it. If anything, tranq, video, take samples, tag and release. If it's still around, there probably aren't many left.

I wouldn't worry too much about what he does. If an army of fur trappers with  lifetime of experience in the Tasmanian bush failed to catch more than a handful for two decades when they were extant, I think the thylacine is quite safe from a landscape gardener from the mainland 86 years after they were last recovered from the wild.  

• Like 4

Kind of refreshing to hear after years of denial and no one willing to look further. I wish him the best of luck and of course as said, just take a picture! I wouldn’t even risk trying to tranq and tag it.

Edited by Cryptid_Control
  • Like 3

100/1 chance at best, you'd think, of there being any still alive.

1 hour ago, Cryptid_Control said:

Kind of refreshing to hear after years of denial and no one willing to look further. I wish him the best of luck and of course as said, just take a picture! I wouldn’t even risk trying to tranq and tag it.

Yep all those years of denial. Which years would those be exactly though? The late 1930s when the State Fauna Board sent the Summers and Flemming expeditions out?  Or the 1940s which saw the Fleay expedition, and the attempts by Edward Hallstrom to secure a specimen, hence the Adyre Jordan thing? Or perhaps the 50s when Guiler started? The 60s/70swhich saw Griffiths, Malley and Brown? Or rmaybe the 80s which saw Mooney's search after the Naarding sighting? Or alternately, is it that you recognise none of those names because like most peopke who feel entitled to pronounce on this su bect you have absolutely and utterly no idea whatsoever what you're talking about? Do you think that's a possibility? 

• Like 1

While I believe there is slim to no chance of any of these surviving, I think camping out for long periods may be better than trying to hunt or trap.A lot of predators are attracted to the smell of meat cooking around a camp in my experience,so if they set up cameras around the area they may pick up on any meat eating animals around.All I can say is he better pack his woollies for the Winter there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldrover said:

Yep all those years of denial. Which years would those be exactly though? The late 1930s when the State Fauna Board sent the Summers and Flemming expeditions out?  Or the 1940s which saw the Fleay expedition, and the attempts by Edward Hallstrom to secure a specimen, hence the Adyre Jordan thing? Or perhaps the 50s when Guiler started? The 60s/70swhich saw Griffiths, Malley and Brown? Or rmaybe the 80s which saw Mooney's search after the Naarding sighting? Or alternately, is it that you recognise none of those names because like most peopke who feel entitled to pronounce on this su bect you have absolutely and utterly no idea whatsoever what you're talking about? Do you think that's a possibility? 

I joined this forum 10 years ago with a picture of a tazzie for most of those. This is why I’m here, i know what you’re talking about but most people don’t even know the legend. I’m not trying to make the human race extinct too so calm down. Are you saying most Tasmanian’s believe they’re still roaming around?

edit to say: after reading this over this has nothing to do with tazzies and I’m seriously confused on this guys point.

Edited by Cryptid_Control

9 minutes ago, Cryptid_Control said:

I joined this forum 10 years ago with a picture of a tazzie for most of those. This is why I’m here, i know what you’re talking about but most people don’t even know the legend. I’m not trying to make the human race extinct too so calm down. Are you saying most Tasmanian’s believe they’re still roaming around?

edit to say: after reading this over this has nothing to do with tazzies and I’m seriously confused on this guys point.

Perhaps you explain your "years of denial" comment, it comes across as a complaint that people who say the tiger is gone, are not being realistic.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cryptid_Control said:

I wish him the best of luck too. He must be passionate about thylacines to spend 2 years camping in the Tasmanian wilderness, it gets cold down there ! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Habitat said:

Perhaps you explain your "years of denial" comment, it comes across as a complaint that people who say the tiger is gone, are not being realistic.

Sorry, it’s not that it isn’t realistic, but besides trail cams I haven’t seen much serious exploration for them in the last 5-10 years. I’m still skeptical, but that doesn’t mean the hunt should stop.

It’s widely known and accepted that they are extinct. People refuse to look because it’s silly, I referred to that as denial. 

• Like 1

Some skeptical people actually see entities or cryptids and still double guess themselves,I call that denial.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 9:01 PM, Still Waters said:

A Tasmanian Tiger researcher plans to camp out in the wilderness for two years in the hopes of encountering the creature and proving that it still exists. Known scientifically as the thylacine, the iconic striped canine is believed to have gone extinct in the 1930s, however numerous sightings in the years and decades since have led many to suspect that the creature's demise was greatly exaggerated. Among them is Neil Waters, who runs the Thylacine Awareness Group of Australia and now he reportedly intends to put that belief to the test by way of an epic expedition.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/tasmanian-tiger-researcher-has-bold-plan-to-prove-creature-is-not-extinct

Well you have to give him props, he is literally is putting his reputation on the line. I hope as much as the next person that somehow there is a small breeding population left, however, I don't really believe there is. However with today's technology they could clone a small number and release them to start a new breeding population. I would bet there is still plenty of genetic material in Museums to get the required DNA.

i am a big believer in cloning extinct species where man caused the extinction, these creatures were not meant to go the way we chose fir them.

JIMO

• Like 2

Hmmm...."filthy lucre" is a universal motive. But even a genuine photo, would be worth a mint.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone could say for certain these animals have gone completely.I've had a mongoose on my property in NSW,the last recorded sighting was in 1942 from a population released to control snakes and rabbits here in the 1880's.I don't care how educated you are or how much bush you have trecked,there is still a chance of the Tassie tiger still living in the remote bushland.Camping out there is the best idea for some evidence.

I think it was the Night Parrot that was declared extinct, but has since re-surfaced. The Tiger is very unlikely, but not impossible. What is intriguing, is the number of people who claim to have made sightings, I can imagine many would be liars, or mistaken, but all of them ?

• Like 2

Hope springs eternal. Over here, it's the Ivory-billed Woodpecker that has it's diehards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2019 at 10:54 PM, openozy said:

I don't think anyone could say for certain these animals have gone completely.I've had a mongoose on my property in NSW,the last recorded sighting was in 1942 from a population released to control snakes and rabbits here in the 1880's.I don't care how educated you are or how much bush you have trecked,there is still a chance of the Tassie tiger still living in the remote bushland.Camping out there is the best idea for some evidence.

Surely a slim chance, we will see if we can have some good footage ( I mean good) or a corpse from a car hit or something.

• Like 1