Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How do you deal with psoriasis?

Relam

I have it little bit on both elbows and on one knee and when its winter fingers on hands go red  around joints for a couple hours. When its summer i dont have this psoriasis. If you have some advices on how to deal with it post here. Thanks.

It's the straight up dry skin kind. 

Olive oil might help. Take a teaspoon internally, all omega 3s actually, fish, dark chocolate and lots of vitamin C from fruit and veggie sources.

It will put a damper on it. 

• Thanks 1

See your doctor.

I repeat, see your doctor.

But having said that, and IF it is not broken skin, you may wish to (very carefully) try Vicks vapor rub (or the cheaper substitutes, as long as they have both camphor and menthol).  Try it on nearby skin first, then try it on the very edge and see how it goes - obviously if it stings or irritates, clean it off and don't continue.  While it's not officially recommended, some folks (inc me) find it works, and the 'cooling' feels nice!  Problem is there are various forms of psoriasis - mine is pretty mild.

Note that it probably won't help with the underlying problem, which is often dietary. So, see your doctor. :D 

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started using head an shoulders as a body wash as well as shampoo, it’s worked wonderfully 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2019 at 7:14 PM, Relam said:

I have it little bit on both elbows and on one knee and when its winter fingers on hands go red  around joints for a couple hours. When its summer i dont have this psoriasis. If you have some advices on how to deal with it post here. Thanks.

I started using something called  African Black Soap and its a freaking miracle 

They have a couple of different types but the dry skin one settled my psoriasis down to nothing.

Edit to add: you can find it everywhere, CVS, Walmart, Dollar General ETC.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 7:22 AM, Farmer77 said:

I started using something called  African Black Soap and its a freaking miracle 

They have a couple of different types but the dry skin one settled my psoriasis down to nothing.

Edit to add: you can find it everywhere, CVS, Walmart, Dollar General ETC.

Hello Farmer,

Your comment caught my attention.

I have psoriasis expressed on my forehead (right below my hairline), the sides of my nose (a little), elbows, scalp (partially).

Shortly after reading your comment, I ordered the soap you mentioned on amazon (from France): "African Black Soap w/ Shea Butter".

I received it today Jan 04 by regular mail. It looks like the one you linked . Even though I have a weak sense of smell, I was surprised by its smell. That's not a really pleasant one to me. To me, it smells like the artifical flavors that can find in some candies or in cheap flavors/fragrances. But my friend doesn't smell the same, she finds it more pleasant.

At last, I could find the official composition of that soap. Saponified palm oil is the first ingredient (according to that list). Then saponified coconut oil. Then sodium palm kernelate, then water. Then the fragrance, which officially is a blend of essential oils. Fragrances generally come in small amount in soaps. Then comes shea butter. Then salt. Then even smaller amounts of active products. And chemicals, etc.

Anyway, shortly after discovering that soap, I tried it on my forehead first. I let it dry on my skin for about one minute then I rinsed. My skin looks fine but that scent remains.

Is it appropriate to use that soap on my scalp?

How long do you let the soap foam rest on your skin before rinsing?

Whatever is the actual active component in that soap, I hope it can help decrease my symptoms.

Edited by ant0n
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ant0n said:

Hello Farmer,

Your comment caught my attention.

I have psoriasis expressed on my forehead (right below my hairline), the sides of my nose (a little), elbows, scalp (partially).

Shortly after reading your comment, I ordered the soap you mentioned on amazon (from France): "African Black Soap w/ Shea Butter".

I received it today Jan 04 by regular mail. It looks like the one you linked . Even though I have a weak sense of smell, I was surprised by its smell. That's an unpleasant one to me. It smells like the artifical flavors that can find in some candies or in cheap flavors/fragrances. Does your soap smell alike?

At last, I could find the official composition of that soap. Saponified palm oil is the first ingredient (according to that list). Then saponified coconut oil. Then sodium palm kernelate, then water. Then the fragrance, which officially is a blend of essential oils. Fragrances generally come in small amount in soaps. Then comes shea butter. Then salt. Then even smaller amounts of active products. And chemicals, etc.

Anyway, shortly after discovering that soap, I tried it on my forehead first. I let it dry on my skin for about one minute then I rinsed. My skin looks fine but that scent remains.

Is it appropriate to use that soap on my scalp?

How long do you let the soap foam rest on your skin before rinsing?

Whatever is the actual active component in that soap, I hope it can help decrease my symptoms.

Yeah the smell is not great I'm really sorry I didn't warn you about that. 

I don't let I sit hardly at all on my face or scalp which are my problem areas. I just lather and rinse. I've found that a hands off approach is the best method for my skin. I just get it clean and leave it alone.  

That same company makes a coconut oil bar that I've started using on my body because of the way the black soap smells and it hasn't caused me any problems but I still won't let anything touch my scalp or face but the black stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Yeah the smell is not great I'm really sorry I didn't warn you about that. 

I don't let I sit hardly at all on my face or scalp which are my problem areas. I just lather and rinse. I've found that a hands off approach is the best method for my skin. I just get it clean and leave it alone.  

That same company makes a coconut oil bar that I've started using on my body because of the way the black soap smells and it hasn't caused me any problems but I still won't let anything touch my scalp or face but the black stuff. 

Don't worry about the smell. Let's say that soap has a specific smell but it does not stink. Before I ordered that soap, I had read various testimonials and many mentioned that smell but they got used to it. I had read testimonials from people happy or unhappy about that soap. Then I ordered it, to give it a try. I was biased and expected a raw scent from that soap so my atypical sense of smell was surprised to perceive a kind of "artificial" scent. My friend ha reassured me: that soap does have a typical smell but it does not stink. I'll get used to it.

Before I read your present comment, I used the soap for my whole face plus parts of my scalp. I let sit one minute or two then I rinsed. My skin feels smoother now. But I wonder whether that soap is not too aggressive to my skin (because most of that soap is made of sodium salts). Next time, I won't let sit, like you. I will gently rub my skin/scalp with the foam then I'll rinse shortly after.

That's quite an experiment :D

I used to have psoriasis on my whole scalp, that was really difficult to handle. Now, it's about 85% gone but now I get persistent dry dandruffs and nothing seems to be able to cure that. Those dandruffs are psoriasis-related. I really hope I can use the soap for my whole scalp with no side-effect (I want to keep my hair, for example...) and then say goodbye to the dandruffs.

And to the psoriasis symptoms...

Thanks again. I'm experimenting.

Edited by ant0n

• 2 weeks later...

Pine tar applications can work for this. A good one is Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap. You'll smell like a campfire someone just put out, but it does work.