Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why so quick to judge by appearance?

Debra F. II

Why are people so quick to judge others by their appearance? (Classifying and stereotyping them?)

And what percentage of people do you "think" do this?

Survival adaptation. Threat detection. 

100% (of people who can see and think)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Probably because as a member here said once, you can't go back to "first principles" with every new encounter you make. It is a necessary, short-hand, practical assessment.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Debra F. II said:

Why are people so quick to judge others by their appearance? (Classifying and stereotyping them?)

It's automatic to judge a book by it's cover on cursory inspection and it takes a deeper dive to either confirm or disabuse oneself of that initial impression. Most people will highlight a new face with a question mark until they've had the time to make acquaintances. It's not so much a conscious act of judgment, just a first take.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Debra F. II said:

I think everyone judges others by their appearance, whether it's good or bad. I think it's just the way our minds work, we are all taught what is acceptable and what isn't. Now this can change over time but even with that said people still do it. Part of it is threat detection, and part of it can be some form of attraction.

Now with that said, it's important to keep an open mind. Because in truth you can't alway judge a book by its cover, so even if you have done so you should still give the person a change to see if the judgement actually fits. I am certain if you do this sometimes you will be right and sometimes you will be wrong. 

But in the long run you will be a better person for it, and you will make friends you never could with a completely closed mind.

JIMO

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 3

Perhaps slightly off topic, however, I think if you live in a city, its beneficial to be weary of anyone (especially at night..if alone). Someone may see YOU as a mark. Four days ago, someone was following me, immediately when I left store the other night (w expensive game device in my hand) I purposely changed direction (asap)..still following me. As he opened mouth, I just shouted 'sorry man in a rush' then basically walked into traffic. When I lived in philly, someone would basically stop me almost every block. Anyway, not to offend anyone. Just saying, sometimes (w strangers) doesn't hurt to be careful.

Edited by Bed of chaos

1 hour ago, Bed of chaos said:

Perhaps slightly off topic, however, I think if you live in a city, its beneficial to be weary of anyone (especially at night..if alone). Someone may see YOU as a mark. Four days ago, someone was following me, immediately when I left store the other night (w expensive game device in my hand) I purposely changed direction (asap)..still following me. As he opened mouth, I just shouted 'sorry man in a rush' then basically walked into traffic. When I lived in philly, someone would basically stop me almost every block. Anyway, not to offend anyone. Just saying, sometimes (w strangers) doesn't hurt to be careful.

That's for sure! I love mace and other self protection devices. Men also should not feel like mace is only for women! 

Be safe out there and hopefully you carry some sort of protection on you!

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 3:47 AM, Debra F. II said:

It's actually fairly common and we all do it to some extent. Say you're in a dark, lonely street at night, you're alone walking along, and a group of hooded young men turn the corner on your side and begin making their way toward you. Do you banish all ignorant thoughts concerning them or do you prepare yourself for "fight or flight?" Perfectly natural human response, tbh. 

7 minutes ago, Gilbert Syndrome said:

It's actually fairly common and we all do it to some extent. Say you're in a dark, lonely street at night, you're alone walking along, and a group of hooded young men turn the corner on your side and begin making their way toward you. Do you banish all ignorant thoughts concerning them or do you prepare yourself for "fight or flight?" Perfectly natural human response, tbh. 

Good answer also a bit of intuition mixed in there??? Nice!

I am guilty of it. Most times I am happy I made the call on that person that I did and at other times I think may have jumped the gun a bit too soon, on my judgment because yes you are right fight or flight. I try NOT to judge because you know I was told I shouldn't lol but I do evertime! 

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2019 at 4:47 AM, Debra F. II said:

I do this all the time, but the point is to know that you can't judge the whole personality this way, but you can find out a lot by just looking at someone, how this person dresses, hairstyle, moves and mimicks etc. 

Personally I don't believe there are infinite number of people types and that we are all so unique, more like finite number of traits that gets randomly repeated way more often than we would like to.

• Like 1