Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Apocalyptic' sky sounds heard in Netherlands

UM-Bot

That same sound was captured in British Columbia (several years ago).

From what I recall, the scientific explanation had something to do with Earth's natural radio emissions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thats the same video !

Edited by S I N
  • Thanks 2

Or....someone blaring a stereo from the second story....

Tectonic plates friction 

• Like 2

That sound is steel being stretched/distorted, or two steel sheets being dragged across one another.

It is NOT trumpets, or blaring radios, or tectonic effects. 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 1

Thor and Loki arguing.  It sounds like amplified industrial noise, maybe train brakes or something like that.

• Like 2

Not very tuneful for trumpets. If it was the supposed apocalypse, then why was it heard in only a small area? Shouldn't those trumpets be heard around the world? Sounds a good deal like my squeaky metal gate, on a much louder, larger scale.

Since there are apparently very large cranes in the area, they should probably look to oiling their hinges before getting too excited about the end of the world. One hears wind at the beginning of the video. The cranes are probably swaying and creaking.

Edited by bison
  • Like 3

There was a very strong wind the evening of the tenth in The Netherlands. That evening I rode my bicycle along the North Sea Canal from Beverwijk to Amsterdam and was nearly blown over a couple of times. I had to walk a number of times, either for the side wind being too strong and being in danger of being blown over, or the head wind being too strong to make any progress at all. It took me nearly twice as long as my earlier journey from Amsterdam to Beverwijk.

So yes: wind and something made of metal. No trumpets.

• Like 2

There are dozens of videos of this sound from all over the world going back at least a decade.  There was also a series of videos of a crackling sounds that also sounded similar to hundreds of pebbles landing on sheet metal.  This latter sound I remembered hearing nearly daily one summer but wrote it off to distant construction sounds because of all the sky scrapers going up around here all the time but one day upon hearing the same sound on videos from around the world I thought maybe I was wrong and sure enough there is still plenty of building around here but I never hear that sound now.  I'm agreeing with Miss Jatti that it possibly has something to do with plate tectonics.

• Thanks 1

I work closeby Valkenswaard, about a 15 minute drive, and I was working this evening. 
There is an airport nearby as well (Eindhoven Airport, about 15 km from Valkenswaard), and normally I don't hear the airplanes taking off and landing while I am at my desk, but that Monday evening it sounded SUPER loud.
I wonder if this might have something to do with it? It sounded like the whole building was shaking every time an airplane took off... Maybe some kind of weird airflows or something?

• Like 3

it's a worldwide phenomenon. A canadian made a site registering all these sounds; 

http://thehum.info/ 

Edited by qxcontinuum

12 hours ago, Aerosol said:

I work closeby Valkenswaard, about a 15 minute drive, and I was working this evening. 
There is an airport nearby as well (Eindhoven Airport, about 15 km from Valkenswaard), and normally I don't hear the airplanes taking off and landing while I am at my desk, but that Monday evening it sounded SUPER loud.
I wonder if this might have something to do with it? It sounded like the whole building was shaking every time an airplane took off... Maybe some kind of weird airflows or something?

And btw, my work is in a direct line between the Airport and Valkenswaard, and they are currently constructing a new building so there IS a bunch of cranes and stuff around the place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

it's a worldwide phenomenon. A canadian made a site registering all these sounds; 

http://thehum.info/ 

The typical characteristics of the World Hum are that it follows sufferers wherever they go, and that other people in the same place and time cannot hear it

It's called tinnitus.

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

Not hummus?

Maybe locusis....

I hear locus constantly

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aerosol said:

And btw, my work is in a direct line between the Airport and Valkenswaard, and they are currently constructing a new building so there IS a bunch of cranes and stuff around the place.

Maybe there is some atmospheric condition that is amplifying the sounds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joc said:

Maybe locusis....

I hear locus constantly

You need a doctor. 

To me, these videos sound like a waterphone. I used to own one, and I could make these exact sounds with it. Here's a youtube of one slightly different than I owned. Imagine a deeper water reservoir, more resin on the bow and striking two rods simultaneously ... I don't know (*shrug)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpix1v2BikQ

• Thanks 2

This is the kind of crap that makes all unexplained videos on YouTube suspect.  Nothing but lying liars posting this sort of fakery.

A few years ago (2014) I had my own sky noises experience but nothing like the report above. It sounded like a distant fireworks display or even bigger exploding devices going off.

After listening to it continuously for about 5 min I ventured outside to investigate. There were no flashes evident and the noise did not have a definite area it was coming from but generally somewhere south of me. There was 100% cloud cover at about 1500-2000 ft and no significant wind to carry the noise. I moved around the garden to see if it would help pin down the location but it made no difference so I went back in the house.

It must have carried on for another 15 min or so before going quiet again. 

The event was reported in the news next day but there was no apparent explanation. 

"Dozens of Twitter uses from London to Glasgow claimed to have heard the strange noises, which sounded like fireworks or loud aircraft and occurred between 10pm and 10.30pm." 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mystery-explosions-loud-bangs-heard-4721711 

6 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

A few years ago (2014) I had my own sky noises experience but nothing like the report above. It sounded like a distant fireworks display or even bigger exploding devices going off.

After listening to it continuously for about 5 min I ventured outside to investigate. There were no flashes evident and the noise did not have a definite area it was coming from but generally somewhere south of me. There was 100% cloud cover at about 1500-2000 ft and no significant wind to carry the noise. I moved around the garden to see if it would help pin down the location but it made no difference so I went back in the house.

It must have carried on for another 15 min or so before going quiet again. 

The event was reported in the news next day but there was no apparent explanation. 

"Dozens of Twitter uses from London to Glasgow claimed to have heard the strange noises, which sounded like fireworks or loud aircraft and occurred between 10pm and 10.30pm." 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mystery-explosions-loud-bangs-heard-4721711 

Maybe the flying air craft carrier flying over the UK (see Dr. Who, Master episodes) was having a firefight with someone.  :P

• Like 1