Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chicago truck driver encounters 'Mothman'

UM-Bot

Yeah,  righty o.

Another Chicagoland mothman sighting :) I find these fun. Quite often it seems to be birds in alleys or greenspaces. But O'Hare is really big and open. If the guy was at the Nippon dock looking out over runways/tunnel.... there has to be at least a couple hundred feet of concrete between the dock and the nearest fence. O'Hare is fenced in around the outside, and the Nippon dock is somewhat tucked into the buildings.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, rashore said:

Another Chicagoland mothman sighting :) I find these fun. Quite often it seems to be birds in alleys or greenspaces. But O'Hare is really big and open. If the guy was at the Nippon dock looking out over runways/tunnel.... there has to be at least a couple hundred feet of concrete between the dock and the nearest fence. O'Hare is fenced in around the outside, and the Nippon dock is somewhat tucked into the buildings.

Always nice to hear comments from somebody familiar with the area. Fills in details I didn't even know were missing. ;)

13 minutes ago, jowasmus said:

Always nice to hear comments from somebody familiar with the area. Fills in details I didn't even know were missing. ;)

I lived in Chicagoland for a while. Very not fond of the whole O'Hare area, driving is terrible. And the airport itself really can throw ones natural compass and orientation off. The tunnel is cool.

I think the fences might really be 8 foot tall. Airport orientation... If you google up a map, there is a main building, and a bit to the West another big building. The Nippon dock for the airline is on the North end of the main building, and the tunnel is somewhere under the big concrete strip between the main building and the West building. To the North of the Nippon dock are airstrips. To the South of the Nippon dock is the long concrete strip, then airstrips till a cluster of building docks.

Now there is also a Nippon dock  building in that cluster... it faces North towards the airstrips and tunnel. But I don't recall fences there because of the airstrips being there.

It is entirely possible I'm not recalling a fence, or they have changed some stuff. The guy could have had a less than few hundred feet till one of the 8 foot fences, but I'm not sure how. And he could mean something other than the famous tunnel- the long one that's all neon lit up... but if he is, it's one I'm unaware of.

Something to be said about the fence surrounding O'Hare. There really isn't any pedestrian walkway on the street side of the fences surrounding the airport. It's mostly fence right up to the curb. I think it might be possible the Mothman was a piece of black plastic caught on the fence, then blown off the other way. From a bit of a distance, that could very much look like a tall figure flapping off then disappearing.

• Like 3

For those with an open mind I'll share what I heard about the Mothman from a channeled psychic source I highly respect and I believe I had a personal experience with (Channeling Erik). 

The Mothman is an alien species that came to earth around the time of their planet's demise. There are five Mothmans around the earth but one has died. They can not reproduce in our environment so they are the end of the line (but their life span may be a thousand years or something). They have no malicious intent towards humans but humans will feel sick around them because of the high vibrations.

I know this sounds 'out-there' and most people will be secure with the hoax or oversized owl theories.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

For those with an open mind I'll share what I heard about the Mothman from a channeled psychic source I highly respect and I believe I had a personal experience with (Channeling Erik). 

The Mothman is an alien species that came to earth around the time of their planet's demise. There are five Mothmans around the earth but one has died. They can not reproduce in our environment so they are the end of the line (but their life span may be a thousand years or something). They have no malicious intent towards humans but humans will feel sick around them because of the high vibrations.

I know this sounds 'out-there' and most people will be secure with the hoax or oversized owl theories.

Open mind. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

pmsl.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

That's an interesting theory. Most of the folklore I'm familiar with is more suggestive to a more earthbound sort of critter.

• Like 2

A homeless person wrapping a blanket around their self and blending into the background.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

A homeless person wrapping a blanket around their self and blending into the background.

Not so likely. Outside the fence is road, and you don't even see people walking there- rather dangerous, even for the usual street strollers. And they had a lot of problems with homeless taking shelter in the airport for quite a while, and so cracked down on any of that anywhere on the grounds.

There are for sure a few other sightings in the area that could well be attributed to a human randomness. Even at Midway it could be a more plausible explanation depending on the orientation of the story sightline. If it had been the Executive airport- heck, that one has a viewing stand, so anyone could be wandering around there. And also be more likely to have large winged wildlife :) Also with wildlife, not a likely explanation for O'Hare- the emerald ring is on the wrong side of the highway for that explanation to really work.

2 hours ago, rashore said:

Not so likely. Outside the fence is road, and you don't even see people walking there- rather dangerous, even for the usual street strollers. And they had a lot of problems with homeless taking shelter in the airport for quite a while, and so cracked down on any of that anywhere on the grounds.

There are for sure a few other sightings in the area that could well be attributed to a human randomness. Even at Midway it could be a more plausible explanation depending on the orientation of the story sightline. If it had been the Executive airport- heck, that one has a viewing stand, so anyone could be wandering around there. And also be more likely to have large winged wildlife :) Also with wildlife, not a likely explanation for O'Hare- the emerald ring is on the wrong side of the highway for that explanation to really work.

Far more likely than a "Mothman" or Nyarlathotep or anything else fantastical.  Just another blur vision account, without a picture.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Far more likely than a "Mothman" or Nyarlathotep or anything else fantastical.  Just another blur vision account, without a picture.

I'm still thinking a piece of black plastic blown up against a fence then blown off again is still the best mundane option for now. Cleaning services around the airport are good... planes can't fly if a lot of garbage is blowing around. But I have seen some blown around stuff in the area like old garbage bags in the area. People do still litter or lose bags around their luggage or whatever while getting out to some of the parking lots, as well as driving folks littering.

Been a few months since I've been around the Chicagoland O'Hare area too. And I know there's some upcoming plans about changing the airport. Recently in the area there was a rip out of the O'Hare Oasis too for expansion of the highway through there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rashore said:

I'm still thinking a piece of black plastic blown up against a fence then blown off again is still the best mundane option for now. Cleaning services around the airport are good... planes can't fly if a lot of garbage is blowing around. But I have seen some blown around stuff in the area like old garbage bags in the area. People do still litter or lose bags around their luggage or whatever while getting out to some of the parking lots, as well as driving folks littering.

Been a few months since I've been around the Chicagoland O'Hare area too. And I know there's some upcoming plans about changing the airport. Recently in the area there was a rip out of the O'Hare Oasis too for expansion of the highway through there.

I'd love for something like this to be real, but tales like this requiring such an imaginative stretch are underwhelming. 

4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I'd love for something like this to be real, but tales like this requiring such an imaginative stretch are underwhelming. 

Hehehe.. me too in a way.. and also not in a way too. Mothman is kind of a creepy thing I'm not so sure I would love to be real.

I can understand where this story is coming from. There is an interesting buildup of mothman stories around Chicagoland. I don't think it's actual cryptid/big humanoid with wings. But I've been loosely tracking stories of the area for a few years now. It's like a slow burn version of the UL Clowns stuff.

And kind of weird from a wild bird kind of person... I rather like and track this stuff in hopes of the notions that some of the larger bird species of the area are alive and well. Herons and swans, owls and maybe turkey. Raptor species too, maybe looking for good hunting grounds of vermin.

41 minutes ago, rashore said:

Hehehe.. me too in a way.. and also not in a way too. Mothman is kind of a creepy thing I'm not so sure I would love to be real.

I can understand where this story is coming from. There is an interesting buildup of mothman stories around Chicagoland. I don't think it's actual cryptid/big humanoid with wings. But I've been loosely tracking stories of the area for a few years now. It's like a slow burn version of the UL Clowns stuff.

And kind of weird from a wild bird kind of person... I rather like and track this stuff in hopes of the notions that some of the larger bird species of the area are alive and well. Herons and swans, owls and maybe turkey. Raptor species too, maybe looking for good hunting grounds of vermin.

Got all those around here, too. Wild turkeys are quite different beasts from the Thanksgiving kind. had a group of six cross the road running single file, one day . three feet tall and high stepping it like emus.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 3:38 PM, rashore said:

Owl, heron, swan and cranes are all common around here.  Also a load of geese are an everyday sight in that cornfield.

• Like 1

I like the Mothman stories because they're just so weird. 

The movie was plenty creepy, too. Sort of surreal.

I really like this quote from it...

If there was a car crash ten blocks away, that window washer up there could probably see it. Now, that doesn't mean he's God, or even smarter than we are. But from where he's sitting, he can see a little further down the road.

• Like 1

I personally believe that a barred owl is the best candidate for mothman, since it has a lot of the characteristics, that people seem to describe in their reports.

Edited by Ultimatium
  • Like 2

On 12/18/2019 at 11:36 AM, papageorge1 said:

Could you psychic source tell us which is the real mothman, the one with arms or the one without.

I hope your channel psychic source knows that much.

BTW, it's an owl not an oversized owl.

On 12/18/2019 at 9:35 AM, rashore said:

I think it might be possible the Mothman was a piece of black plastic caught on the fence, then blown off the other way. From a bit of a distance, that could very much look like a tall figure flapping off then disappearing.

Sounds like as good an explanation as any.