Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Museum display dome mysteriously rises

Still Waters

Visitors and staff to a historical museum in the Russian city of Chelyabinsk were shocked after they witnessed a display dome covering the Chelyabinsk meteorite lift off, sparking fears that the celestial body wanted to escape. The incident occurred on 14 December during the day.

Footage from CCTV cameras posted online shows visitors to the museum roaming around exhibits with the chunk of the Chelyabinsk meteorite in the middle of the hall. At some point, the lid covering the space rock lifts off. Security staff ran to the scene and closed the dome after an alarm went off.

https://sputniknews.com/science/201912181077603948-meteorite-in-russian-museum-mysteriously-elevates-display-dome---video/

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/watch-display-case-covering-meteorite-at-russian-museum-mysteriously-rises

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Short in the switch, somebody playing games or a outright PR stunt.

Probably the last guess. Damn near every Russian museum has meteorites and they want theirs to be special. :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

A sentient meteorite? Not likely, but perhaps it contained some metals that might have interfered with the electronic security system. That too may be a far fetched theory, and a more probable explanation is that the dome (regardless of what the electronics experts say) was either tampered with, or encountered a glitch somewhere.

• Like 5

Just now, Kittens Are Jerks said:

A sentient meteorite? Not likely, but perhaps it contained some metals that might have interfered with the electronic security system. That too may be a far fetched theory, and a more probable explanation is that the dome (regardless of what the electronics experts say) was either tampered with, or encountered a glitch somewhere.

Could be slightly radioactive. They are usually about as radioactive as magmatic quartz. 

• Like 5

I think the key is it was not covered by a dome but a pyramid :alien:

Remember all the pyramid power stuff in the 70's?  It's all true and here is the proof.

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

Could be slightly radioactive. They are usually about as radioactive as magmatic quartz. 

Which would be extraordinarily minimal, and most likely short lived, so not sure how much of an impact it would have. But hey, it could something like that in combination with a number if other factors, but it's hard to make an educated guess given the limited information.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Which would be extraordinarily minimal, and most likely short lived, so not sure how much of an impact it would have. But hey, it could something like that in combination with a number if other factors, but it's hard to make an educated guess given the limited information.

I think PR stunt, as for radiation, it is minimal but believe it or not it's not short lived. But it does produce radon, which is how a lot of these crystal "healers?" poison themselves. 

You have a room full of quartzs and other crystals, you have a room full of radon gas. :lol:

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I think the key is it was not covered by a dome but a pyramid :alien:

Remember all the pyramid power stuff in the 70's?  It's all true and here is the proof.

Yeah, a people that couldn't cure intestinal worms and didn't know about proper sanitation or sewerage disposal knew about the Earth's magnetic field. :lol:

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

I think PR stunt, as for radiation, it is minimal but believe it or not it's not short lived. But it does produce radon, which is how a lot of these crystal "healers?" poison themselves. 

You have a room full of quartzs and other crystals, you have a room full of radon gas. :lol:

From the article referenced below: Meteorites do contain radioactive elements, but not significantly more than any ordinary terrestrial rock.

So that answers that. The article, by the way, is an interesting FAQ about meteorites, meteors and other celestial bodies.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/meteorites-and-meteor-wrongs.html

And yes, a PR stunt is also another possibility.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Didn't see anything.  More fake news.  Nothing to see here people.  Move along.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

From the article referenced below: Meteorites do contain radioactive elements, but not significantly more than any ordinary terrestrial rock.

That's what I was trying to say.....before coffee. :yes:

I have chunks of the Toms River. the Chinga, the Seymchan , some stuff from Canada and some Argentinian stuff. 

My longsword blade was forged with a chunk of the Canadian stuff added to it in China......You should of seen that  customs nightmare. 

Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Piney said:

really? Do I need to worry about my minerals collection in its case I have had for years? I have a few crystals of various formation types in there. It is my night stand actually so maybe I am already doomed.

oh well.

• Like 1

The motorized display dome slowly lifts and shuts itself again, and it isn't caused by the electronics.

Sure thing, bro.

The article itself says the cover is operated with a remote control. How many of those people are messing with phones at the time? Someone either willfully or accidentally hacked the signal.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

really? Do I need to worry about my minerals collection in its case I have had for years? I have a few crystals of various formation types in there. It is my night stand actually so maybe I am already doomed.

oh well.

No, that isn't that big. I'm talking about actual rock shops. 

There is of course another possible explanation... 

MV5BOTAzNzI4NDU2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDkzMDM4._V1_UY317_CR12,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

• Haha 2

On 12/19/2019 at 12:08 PM, Still Waters said:

Visitors and staff to a historical museum in the Russian city of Chelyabinsk were shocked after they witnessed a display dome covering the Chelyabinsk meteorite lift off, sparking fears that the celestial body wanted to escape. The incident occurred on 14 December during the day.

Footage from CCTV cameras posted online shows visitors to the museum roaming around exhibits with the chunk of the Chelyabinsk meteorite in the middle of the hall. At some point, the lid covering the space rock lifts off. Security staff ran to the scene and closed the dome after an alarm went off.

https://sputniknews.com/science/201912181077603948-meteorite-in-russian-museum-mysteriously-elevates-display-dome---video/

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/watch-display-case-covering-meteorite-at-russian-museum-mysteriously-rises

As my electrician brother in-law would... "it was a power surge!"

: )

On 12/19/2019 at 2:56 PM, moonman said:

The motorized display dome slowly lifts and shuts itself again, and it isn't caused by the electronics.

Sure thing, bro.

The article itself says the cover is operated with a remote control. How many of those people are messing with phones at the time? Someone either willfully or accidentally hacked the signal.

NTM remote controlled, my cat sits on the remote all the time and changes the channel. Maybe someone opened it by accident and then denied it, creating a (*drumroll please*) mystery. Why not take it the next step and get it on the interwebs?

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 1:40 PM, tortugabob said:

Didn't see anything.  More fake news.  Nothing to see here people.  Move along.

Look again... closely! At the table thing everyone is standing around, in the middle of the room.